straight men vs. girls and makeup???

lalablossoms

Reaction score
i just read an article in bazaar where a straight man is commenting on how other straight males view women's fashion whims and how it affects their attraction to us, basically he says what i think is true, which is that if it's too quirky, ironic, costumey, or unnatural it's perplexing and sometimes intimidating, so i'm wondering about makeup...

i'm sure the prognosis is the same, every man that's been attracted to me has no clue when i have it on ( my last boyfriend honestly had no clue when we went out all fancy he would say i looked extra good but he seemed to notice the dressier/sexier clothing so i asked him once about my face and he said "pretty as always", i was like no silly i'm wearing makeup, he was like "you wear makeup???" ), they love that, and that's exactly the look i want, polished, a lil better than me, and natural, i do wear weird nail colors ( deep deep black cherry, black, orange, purple ) but i think that's just slightly mysterious and amusing or they dont pay attention as long as it's not ugly or ungroomed...

so what do you guys think, does what a man think about your makeup go into your routine, what do you think they think???

I think what's attractive to a man would be you wearing whatever look you want to wear with confidence.

i think it has to be weird for dudes, they are lil boys and then all of sudden when they are like 13 all the lil girls they knew have goop on their face and they are suppose to kiss them, boys dont wear makeup, i'm sure it seems very alien to them, hell it seems alien to me sometimes although i enjoy it haha

most guys honestly don't notice. girls wear makeup for girls and it's the same for all aspects of our style. i read a good article about it by laura bailey, i wish i could find it and put it on here.

true. men could care less about fashion they dont know the difference between this season and two years ago. we dress for other woman. men like classy sex appeal as long as you look attractive they will turn heads. and i think most woman look better with makeup on they just dont like cakey obvious makeup

yep, it's well known most guys prefer a natural, groomed look. there's also the guys who prefer anything, lol. oh, and the guys who work at the make up counters, they know what you're wearing on your face for sure!

I'm split in 2 about make up. I really enjoy wearing it and have always done quirky crazy make up but lately I've felt like a drag queen when I wear it and wear none at all. I admire naturally beautiful people who are confident without wearing tons of make up.

tifa said:
yep, it's well known most guys prefer a natural, groomed look. there's also the guys who prefer anything, lol. oh, and the guys who work at the make up counters, they know what you're wearing on your face for sure!

:lol: :lol: :lol: of course, no doubt that they know, but we are talking about straight guys here ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

im so glad that guys usually dont notice makeup because there was this guy in my class who seriously noticed EVERYTHING about me physically and it was so annoying. every time i changed my makeup, hair or style(i do change it up a lot...makeup occasionally, hair once a month, and style like errrryday). he was always made nice comments about it but i could do without the commentary.

ive had a lot of random convos with guys about makeup. it usually started with them curiously asking me "do you wear makeup?" its funny how they cant tell but really a lot of them have no clue. they like whatever makes a girl look 'good' lol and they said they like it when a girl kept it simple : basically dont wear what you dont need or anything that is distracting.

See I use my makeup as an extension of my personality, so if guys expect me to be natural as far as the makeup goes, they've got another thing coming:smile: I do know that a lot of guys prefer the natural look, the guy I like tells me that I don't need to do the crazy colours-but makeup is my art and I would rather be single than with a guy who discouraged me from doing my fun makeup. There is a difference between a guy who prefers the natural look, and a guy who discourages you from doing anything BUT the natural look. Besides...the makeup is for me, like I said earlier, an extension of my personality which is not conformist or cookie-cutter.

:lol:, that really made me LOL, I know I am like 2 years late, but that is definately true.

But anyway, here is my 2 cents on the thread. Most guys do not notice you are wearing makeup, unless you are really piling it on, I think they like it best when you just appear to look amazing (as if by magic, when reality is magic = natural concealer, light mascara, etc)

I think men are too horny to notice. BF knows I have issues with my dark circles, and I still don't like it when he sees me without concealer, but he really doesn't care.

He does think it looks funny when I don't dye my brows - damn blonde invisible hairs :lol:

My boyfriend doesn't know I wear makeup most of the time, unless I do something quirky like wear teal eyeliner. He says he prefers the natural me and appreciates the occasional dress up when we go to a formal event. I've never met a guy who's attracted to a girl that wears A LOT of makeup on a daily basis, but once in a while the "glam" can spice up a relationship.

I've noticed that men don't like experimental makeup, like thick foundation, contouring, and bright colors (not counting the ones who love Goth girls). In my experience, a guy will look at a girl wearing bronzer, fake eyelashes, and supershiny, nude lipgloss, and proclaim that to be natural. Lies. Lies, I say! They know it's there, they just won't submit to the girliness of it all. Hmpf.

My ex - who had art and illustration training I might add - once took a look at my blushes and asked me, "How many pink powder thingies do you need? They're all the same color!" I relished the oppurtunity to explain to him the very important nuances of pink blush - cool, warm, pigmented, light, peachy-pink, brownish pink, shimmer, matte...

No, that is not the reason he is now my ex. Although had he broken up with me there and then, I would have understood.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fiance always notices when I'm trying out something new makeup wise, I had put a little white eyeliner in my waterline(my eyes had been reddish that morning) and he totally noticed and said it made my eyes look brighter. It's weird but I like that he pays attention to that stuff. And he loves when I wear my hot pink lipstick, so he's a keeper :P

As the first male member to post here :brows: I don't mind women wearing make up, at all. However I absolutely hate "orange" foundation on girls/women. Fair enough if they already have tanned skin. But girls with pale skin, who use an "orange" or darker foundation than their skin tone and have lines around their jaw line and neck is just awful. Girls in my old school, used to wear "orange" foundation with a pale lipstick and imo it looked awful. Looks as if they are trying to hard. I am on topic here, right? :rofl:

There was this girl I knew who wore super excessive makeup all the time, even at work, like very colorful around the eyes but probably too much even for heavy duty clubbing. Had been this way for a couple of years at least.

So we went out a few times and then she asks what she should change about herself, sort of a game or something. So I suggested she tone down the makeup.

I was very shocked when she then did reduce the makeup a lot, because I didn't think I could influence her in any way. She looked much better. I think maybe she wore the extra makeup because she was a bit insecure about her looks. And maybe she asked her girlfriend roomy about whether she used too much.

It is true though, guys don't know much about makeup and just form a general impression about a girl's appearance (the hotness) and don't realize how it's done.

^ is there a possiblity she have a crush on you?

my bf is okay with my putting on makeup, but he seems enjoy the bare-faced me even more...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->