Straightening / Flat Irons

mousquerader said:
Just wondering, when you guys straighten your hair with a flat iron, do you let it naturally dry first and then take a flat iron to it, or do you blow-dry your hair straighte first and then use a flat iron? Is there any difference really?

You don't have to blow dry them first. Just let them naturally dry. The flat iron will make your hair STRAIGHT without any additional help.

FashionJunkie said:
You don't have to blow dry them first. Just let them naturally dry. The flat iron will make your hair STRAIGHT without any additional help.

Okay, thanks. I thought that if I blow-dried first, it would make the hair sleeker because whenever I watch a hairstylist on TV render someone's hair sleek and straight, they always blow-dry it first and then flat iron, and the result was always so beautiful! How do they do it?!:angry:

^ I always blow dry mine first because then it's easier to straighten and looks sleeker. If I let it dry naturally my hair goes a bit frizzy, so then when I straighten it, it looks dry. I really think that blow drying it straight first makes it stay straighter longer.

How do you curl hair with straightners? A lot of my friends say they do it and people in this thread have mentioned it too. I have GHD's if that makes any difference.

I am extremely hair ignorant, but do people with straight short hair need a flat iron? Or can they use a flat iron?

*k.a.t.e* said:
How do you curl hair with straightners? A lot of my friends say they do it and people in this thread have mentioned it too. I have GHD's if that makes any difference.

I wondered this too, and a few months ago I bookmarked a link I found somewhere on this site.
Here's the link http://www.ghdhair.com/index.php?c=uk

If you go to trends>looks>step-by-step techniques and press one of the "curls" links, you will find some instruction videos that show you how to do it^_^.

I was so happy to find it! A whole new way to use the hair straightener:smile:

Are there such things as fake flat irons?

I'm suddenly very scared of eBay.

If you have extremely curly hair, blowdrying before makes all the difference. Especially for afro hair. I could never let mine dry naturally, it gets to big and tangled and then the flatiron doesn't do as good a job. So blowdry first with a protective cream.

karira said:
I wondered this too, and a few months ago I bookmarked a link I found somewhere on this site.
Here's the link http://www.ghdhair.com/index.php?c=uk

If you go to trends>looks>step-by-step techniques and press one of the "curls" links, you will find some instruction videos that show you how to do it^_^.

I was so happy to find it! A whole new way to use the hair straightener:smile:

I have tried curling with my GHD but it is soooo bloomin' difficult! And I always end up burning my fingers or my scalp :cry:

^^^ i've tryed curling with my friends ghds and i must say its hard for the hair to slide through the plates when your curling it. i have remmington straightners but the plates are teflon coated so the hair slides through easily. i've always found that anytime i use ghd's my hair gets stuck in them i'll stick to my cheap as straighteners:lol:

although saying that curling is hard with straighteners if find you have to be bored and very patient to get the technique down to a T

I'm using my straightaning irons very often and I've really harmed my hair - I have to cut my split ends often and my hair became very dry in the ends and very greasy in the roots...
But I'm so addicted to hair straightening, I hate my curls and I can feel ok only when my hair's perfectly straight and sleek

^Are you using any heat protecting products on your hair? I don't know if they actually work much, but if you're not using any it's probably worth a try! :smile:

just moved to a new country, sans blowdryer/straightner...my hair is soft and wavy, and am too lazy to style it after a shower generally...
but i've been craving the new GHD straightner, the one that curls and straightens..its around australian $299- do u think its worth the investment? anyone tried it? :smile: thanks

I wanted to get the GHD, but I ended up getting a Solia instead. And I'm not disappointed. It works very well! :smile: No snagging, like most of the other flat irons I have tried before. And it gets very hot, so that's a plus, too.

Ahhh. I decided to take a stroll today and the sign outside Sephora caught my eye. It said something about a "good hair day" and lord knows I could use more of those so I said why not. Got in there and signed up. This stylist sat me down and started to prep my hair with these new styling products from GHD (which of course, stands for Good Hair Day :P) before she took a flat iron to my hair.

Now I'm a hard sell when it comes to flat irons. Either they're junk or they're ja-hunk. I was starting to believe the spendy T3 I bought last year was junk too because after she worked on my pin straight hair for 20 minutes, I looked in the mirror and saw an amazing transformation. I had beautiful curls! From a flat iron! :wtf:

Here's me with my usual plain blah straight/semi wavy hair
526626394_302692dc36.jpg

and then she used this magic wand
824988722_f970d6fb12_o.jpg

and voila
824988612_8f8246ee95_o.jpg

Good Hair Day indeed.

Ya ok, I was sold. Probably because she also told me about how the iron featured the latest and greatest technology, wouldn't fry my hair, yada yada. Heh, things I just need to hear before plunking down the cash of course. But anyway, I thought I'd give it a shot. I hope I can mimic this look on my own. Don't you hate how great your hair looks after getting it done, only to mess it up when you try to do it yourself the next day? :P

I'm excited though. This iron shows great potential and I liked the DVD tutorial it comes with. It's pricey but you really get what you pay for in this case. I hope I love it! Their website is also wonderful www.ghdhair.com. And no, heh, I don't work for them. I'm just really impressed and thought I'd share :yes:.

I'm looking into getting my friend a hair straightener for her birthday. Right now I'm looking between the GHD and the Solia. The GHD is obviously very pricey and so I'm looking more at the Solia, but I want to make sure it can get the job done.

My friend is from the Middle East with fairly thick, naturally kind of coarse hair that is down to her shoulders. Naturally it is fairly curly. So would the Solia be able to make her hair stick straight? And does the straight hair last through heat & humidity, and generally throughout the day? Before I was already assuming that I would get her the Chi, but I heard that it breaks easily. Is this true? Help and advice would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I think about it, I won't rule out the Sedu. How does the Solia compare to the Sedu? Is the Sedu worth the price difference?

I've had a t3 for some time but I'm considering trying a ghd... hopfully it's good

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onceler
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->