Studying Abroad.

is anyone else trying to go abroad for next summer?

i was shooting for spring but i've been finding the whole experience entirely frustrating and stressful, rather than exciting... my study abroad advisor at school was totally discouraging, despite the fact that kids from my school work with this separate program all the time. :huh: it's taking forever for department heads to get back to me about receiving credit as well... it's hard to be excited when people are telling you that you won't be able to graduate on time or give you answers to your questions...

so i think i'm going to change my spring plans for summer. this is sort of a let down because it's two months instead of five, and i'll only be able to take four courses, but at least during the summer i won't be losing time, i should actually be ahead... :innocent: i am looking to take french and some art history courses on haute couture and impressionism while studying in Paris. is preparing for a study abroad normally this stressful, or is my school just a complete pain?

As I know, in many European countries you can get a SCHOLARSHIP (which you payed after school -at work or in some smaller part every month)
In Sweeden and Dernamak (and the other scandinavian country) you have many apportunity to get this kind of scholarship:smile:

I signed up with AustraLearn to study in Australia, but I don't have a clue about Australia. :lol: I just know I won't have to put up with the language barrier.

At the same time, I study a lot of Spanish so I should go to Spain to study but the problem is... my Spanish skills are SOOOOO poor that I would hate to go and try to understand what people are saying AND try to study the material in another language.

:doh:

Any advice?

Time to revive this thread :woot:

I have the opportunity to go abroad next year, but as usual I'm very indecisive... So I'd love to hear about fellow TFSer's experience in these schools/cities, it would really help me a lot to make my decision :flower:

Potential choices:
-Copenhagen Business School (Copenhagen, Denmark)
-Aarhus School of Business (Aarhus, Denmark)
-Oslo BI Norwegian School of Management (Oslo, Norway)
-Sophia University (Tokyo, Japan)
-Stellenbosch University (Stellenbosch, South Africa)
-Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA)
-Helsinki School of Economics (Helsinki, Finland)
-And there's also a school in Seoul, South Korea and in Taipei, Taiwan (don't know which yet)

So any help would be really appreciated as I'm going a bit mad here :shock: :lol:Thanks everyone :flower::heart:

Wow, I was just going through this thread and it's been over a year since someone posted in it besides you nextnewface! Copenhagen sounds nice, I've always wanted to go to Denmark. Everything on that list sounds great, except for Atlanta -- only b/c I'm from America. Anyways, I'm sorry I can't be of any help to you, but I'll be studying abroad in London in January for five months... I'm so nervous, but excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yeah, I actually looked for the thread in the search engine cause I knew it existed :wink: didn't want to start a new one! I'm sure you will have a GREAT time in London, I heard everyone just LOVES the city cause there is so much to see and do! :woot::flower: I know you will have a great time! I went abroad last year and I want to go again next year and I'd say everyone I know (except one person) always ends up loving the experience and staying longer than they intended!! :flower:

As for me, well... I am not super thrilled about a school in the US because it is not very far (I live in Canada), but GIT has apparently a great MBA program.

I'd say I'm most passionnate about the 2 Denmark schools, Norway and Japan, because they are countries I am very attracted to for various reasons :blush: I just need to gather lots of info to make the best decision for me ^_^

Thank you for reviving this thread! It's got me thinking about doing a summer course in Denmark next year. :woot:

I thought the possibility of transferring to SVA in NY at the end of next year would be enough for me, but if I can squeeze in Denmark somewhere in there too.. Why not! ^_^

I'm planning on studying abroad in France, my junior year of college.
it would be in Pau, France.
Or...somewhere else in France, but I'm not sure yet where.

bumping. i guess. it's been 7 months.

anyway i really wanted to go to sweden during my junior year in high school, which is next year, but between my parents not wanting me to and my school being like 'you cannot graduate if you go blah blah blah blah' i didn't

the second excuse bothers me because 1. you can get 8 credits a year, i only need 7 more to graduate. the only thing special i would have to do is take 11th and 12th grade english at the same time and 2. there are like three people going to germany next year...

anyway i now plan to go to sweden the year after high school, which i think once i get there would be better. i'd be eighteen and that actually has practical benefits as well as more fun ones :wink:

and i still want to do it in university as well, but i don't know what country because i don't know where i'm going, obviously

Pmplmus617, perhaps it might just be best to wait until after high school, that way you can have more fun :wink:
Anyways... I've been planing ever since I was little to study abroad in college however I haven't narrowed down where I would like to study. I have a few options and ideas but input from others would be great.
1) England- My dream would be to study at Oxford for a year (my college has a program with the uni) however, I really don't know how hard it is to get into the study abroad program (I am a Journalism major). Does anyone have any idea? Although if I couldn't study at Oxford I've thought about studying at a uni in London. I really love England, I've always wanted to live in the UK and studying abroad here could give me a chance too.
2) Israel- This is probably the most extreme country on my list however I have ties to the country and would love the chance to study their. Also so I can practice my Hebrew which right now is pretty non-existant since I haven't studied the language in so long.
3) Australia- I've always wanted to go Australia and I figure a year studying abroad in the country might be nice. I really like the idea of being in an English speaking country seeing as thats the only language I speak fluently (although like I said before, I know some Hebrew) and Australia also looks like a really cool place.
So any suggestions? Or do you think I should study somewhere else? This advice would be very much appricated!

so soon ill be headed off to college and im starting to think about where i should study abroad for my junior year. im majoring in communications and my school has another school (i dont know what you would call it) in London specifically for communications majors but they also will allow you to go anywhere you'd like. should i stick with london (this is in terms of fashion PR related internship avaliability) or should i do maybe paris???? suggestions?

As someone who is trying to figure out where to study abroad as well the advice I've herd the most from others is to go somewhere that really interests you and you will get a lot out of the experience. I know this advice probably isn't the easiest to use, its hard to figure it out, but perhaps writing down all the pros and cons of each place might help you figure it out as well. Hope that helps a little bit! :smile:

I would love to study in New York, but the costs are skyhigh comparing to Dutch school costs! :(

^they really are :( most american private universities range from $45-55k per year (tuition+boardign and other costs)

if you already live in europe i suggest either another european country or somewhere in asia. i would looove to study in either japan or singapore.

^they really are :( most american private universities range from $45-55k per year (tuition+boardign and other costs)

if you already live in europe i suggest either another european country or somewhere in asia. i would looove to study in either japan or singapore.

Japan sounds amazing too!! :woot:
I'm looking at London College of Fashion now.
Fashion Media and Communication!

As someone who is trying to figure out where to study abroad as well the advice I've herd the most from others is to go somewhere that really interests you and you will get a lot out of the experience. I know this advice probably isn't the easiest to use, its hard to figure it out, but perhaps writing down all the pros and cons of each place might help you figure it out as well. Hope that helps a little bit! :smile:

It sounds obvious to choose a place that interests you, but it really is good advice. Don't just base your decision no what your school or others recommend. For instance, I was told that Milan would be the best choice for me consider my major (fashion merchandising), but I really wanted to go to Rome. I went with my own interests and don't regret it for a minute!

I have this "dream" to study in Stockholm. I don't know what exactly (sure I have some ideas otherwise it would not make any sense) but does anybody on here have experiences studying in Stockholm? I'm German by the way and only speak very lite lite svenska.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->