Textile Design as a Career /Schools

sorry, i'm of no help, but now i'm really interested too! i might check out their exhibition in a few weeks!

oh their graduation show? that would be awesome, ronchamp. please take photos if you are allowed :P oh and maybe you could invite them to tFS? it would be great to have them here

I'll definitely go see that exposition. I'll try to take picture for you gius... after my week of exams! :P

Ooh thank you! :wub: I'll be looking forward to it!

bump *

Mills are all over the place... there really isn't a District. Believe it or not there are textile mills to be found in the yellow pages. Places like the Toronto Fashion Incubator (google that) help designers find resources.

I don't know much about Montreal, but it would certainly be a place I would look.

In Toronto: Queen West from Spadina to Bathurst for jobbers and stuff... some shops do wholesale... try King Textiles, I think they have a website now too. MacFab for costumiers supplies, upholstery and notions.

Up at Dufferin and Wingold is the other fashion District in Toronto... Many designers wholesale their clothes there, and also there are more jobbers, fabric wholesalers and leather dealers, etc. up there.

thanks for the info, finalfashion

you guys write about mills
buying wholesale..
--but are there mills that actually manufacture fabric in Canada? or is it more common that the mills import material from other countries?

i've looked in the yellow pages for vancouver... so far i haven't found anything. but there are a lot of places, which will screen print designs on to ready-made fabrics

Last edited by a moderator:
there are very few mills for wovens in Canada - a few knitting mills are still here. Check the Canadian Apparel Federation's directories if the yellow pages aren't working for you.

There are some suppliers for all types of fabrics - Telio in Montreal is a popular one.

Hey when is their graduation show? Is it already over?? I will be going there sometime this month! :woot: Maybe hopefully some other event will be happening.

Here is old news...
It shows some of the 2008 graduates' work (from May)
http://www.textiles-mtl.com/downloads_files/Context-may08E.pdf

The lady I work for told me yesterday the weaving there is really excellent ^_^ So unique. But apparently their surface designers don't rival close to the ones in B.C. I think they are the ones who have access to the power knitting machines and looms, so that's why their constructed textiles are booming

Ah! This is frustrating. I completely forgot about this exposition and the deadline is today.
And if I have to go today I might miss my friend's birthday lunch. :doh:

Mm... -_- I missed it too, if it was showing
I was staying downtown and came on the weekend... We left for Toronto Sunday afternoon.
I don't know if the school would have been opened during those times

A video of RISD textile grad, Rachel Doriss .. works @ Pollack associates in NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sspoN-ZGkb8

I went to a showroom here on upholstery fabrics, for architects and interior designers.. So many nice ones from Pollack
Wonderful yarns.. very tactile. I got to own some too, given free ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding a Job as a Textile Designer in Fashion

I'll be graduating from university soon, so I have started to look into future jobs. I want to design printed or woven textiles for fashion.

It seems so much harder to find textile design jobs for fashion rather than home furnishing. I look at craigslist (for a couple different cities), 24/7, plenty of other job sites. But most of the jobs I find on these sites are fashion/accessory design.

I know that in the industry alot of it is having the connections in order to get the job, but what if you don't have those connections? How do you find these jobs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->