'That-item-you-covet-but-still-doesn't-exist-yet' Thread

celest

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a thread for this yet and hopefully if there is, it can be revived.

I'm too lazy to make things myself and I'm too picky to purchase second best. So all the clothes I want in my wardrobe, I wait for. I constantly hope for them to one day reach the me. I've spammed what little posts I've made on other threads about things I want that still don't exist, and while that perfect item still hasn't cropped up, I thought I couldn't possibly be alone in this.

Of course if you can DIY the project, then there's a separate thread for that. I was just hoping for a collective handful of those of us who share a similar patience to dream about the things we still wait for which we aren't willing to drop money on for being nothing short of perfect.

So, what is that item you covet that still doesn't exist yet?

I personally really want thicker, skinny-stretch legging-pants... similar to a skinny jean...with buttons and a zip front, 5-pockets, a low rise and in all possible textures, designs and styles (printed, relief, tattoo (sheer), lace etc).I really want a cure for the leggings-top syndrome already.

I've waited long enough and despite the concept trickling slowly into experimental design, the push forward that I'm after doesn't even exist!​

^ don't you mean you want "jeggings"? or ponte pants with pockets?

jean paul gaultier has made some tattoo print leggings for target for 24.99. here are the details (info from target.com, pic from elle)
  • Rise: Mid Rise Rise
  • Pant Leg: Skinny, Regular Length
  • Material: 86 % Polyester, 15 % Spandex
  • Care and Cleaning: Tumble Dry Low, Machine Wash Cold
  • Closure Style: Elastic Band Closure(s)
  • Hem Style: Finished Hem(s)
  • Garment Detail: Elastic Waist

Attachments

• Fashion-Spotlight-Jean-Paul-Gaultier_articleimage.jpg
    Fashion-Spotlight-Jean-Paul-Gaultier_articleimage.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
^ don't you mean you want "jeggings"? or ponte pants with pockets?

jean paul gaultier has made some tattoo print leggings for target for 24.99. here are the details (info from target.com, pic from elle)
  • Rise: Mid Rise Rise
  • Pant Leg: Skinny, Regular Length
  • Material: 86 % Polyester, 15 % Spandex
  • Care and Cleaning: Tumble Dry Low, Machine Wash Cold
  • Closure Style: Elastic Band Closure(s)
  • Hem Style: Finished Hem(s)
  • Garment Detail: Elastic Waist

jeggings in general have an elastic band waist; they don't have zips and are not what I'm after at all (then again I'm really picky). Jeggings are jeans x leggings. Not what I'm after at all.

If it helps, think of a skinny jean . Zips, pockets, button closure.
Now imagine it made from another material; for example (but not limited to)- the thicker, opaque stretchy material you get from leggings.
When you hang them folded on a hander, they should not seemingly shrink in size (like pantyhose or tights)

Additionally, the closure on the JPG leggings have an 'elastic band' closure. I'm after the authenticity you get from button and zip closures mentioned in my original post.

I personally want an alternative to skinny jeans, zipped jeggings and leggings. This to me is my perfect medium between what I frequently wear... they just don't really exist in masses yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought these ponte pants from jonathan saunders for target last year. (target.com)
The fabric consists of 69% rayon, 27% nylon, and 4% spandex.

Attachments

• AAAAAlaEF5MAAAAAAVmZZg.jpg
    AAAAAlaEF5MAAAAAAVmZZg.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 177
jeggings in general have an elastic band waist; they don't have zips and are not what I'm after at all (then again I'm really picky). Jeggings are jeans x leggings. Not what I'm after at all.

If it helps, think of a skinny jean . Zips, pockets, button closure.
Now imagine it made from another material; for example (but not limited to)- the thicker, opaque stretchy material you get from leggings.
When you hang them folded on a hander, they should not seemingly shrink in size (like pantyhose or tights)

Additionally, the closure on the JPG leggings have an 'elastic band' closure. I'm after the authenticity you get from button and zip closures mentioned in my original post.

I personally want an alternative to skinny jeans, zipped jeggings and leggings. This to me is my perfect medium between what I frequently wear... they just don't really exist in masses yet.

I think what you are saying were more in circulation in the 80's and 90's. When stirrup pants were popular, but without the stirrups. I had a pair in the 90's and they were very useful. Maybe check out some vintage/second hand stores.
Also, the waist may have been elastic, I don't remember, but I saw something similar...thick&sturdy stretch fabric skinny pants in Zara yesterday.

I hate when you know so clearly what you want but they don't sell it and you can't make it. I guess we just have to become designers.:wink:

Personally, I'm looking for flowy maxi skirts. I've worn them all my life regardless of trend, and now all I see are minis all over and I don't have my sewing machine...any help appreciated!

hmm. I think somewhere it got lost in translation. Its definitely frustrating to know what you want, but when there is no current material example, it gets difficult. Maybe one day, I'll be able to point at it and say... THIS is what I was on about. I'm not going crazy!

[insert favourite pair of creative modern leggings here- be it graphic printed, textured, floral, lace, bandage] made with a sort of cotton-lycra, non-business pant, non-jeans texture/weave (with enough stretch to create contours, but not so much that the general shape deforms and shrinks when you take them off) with a low rise (7''), button closure, pocket storage and a front zip.. none of that higher-waisted elastic band. /breathes.

Was that better than 'take a pair of modern leggings and fuse it with the structure of a skinny jean' ?

As an example, I personally look forward to the day I can have all the printed/lace/die-cut/bandage/embellished/studded/other-materials-sewn-onto-the-material leggings I own turn into skinny pants with a low rise (7''), buttons, pocket storage and a front zip.. none of that highish-waisted elastic band, solid block colour, black, white, basic legging/jegging/jean.

Have you got a particular flowy maxi skirt in mind, such as a particular design, colourway, print or feature? If not, there's the 'help me find...' thread roaming about. If there is specific you've got in mind though, I'd love to read about it!

lucy92: Did it come in a sheer version with 'tattoo' line art? Because that... I'd covet! I could throw some coloured leggings underneath or a pair of coloured mini shorts. Or even if they weren't sheer, maybe a version printed with the quirky, imaginative designs you see on modern leggings rather than just the basic black/white/solid colour/paint splatter/animal print.

Personally, rayon isn't a choice fabric for me, does it feel like a dress pant by any chance? (I'm no textile major so I'm poking sticks in the dark) If so, it'd be awesome to see a printed version.

UHM. I have been looking for a fleece like fuzzyish (but not too fuzzy) green/black plaid jacket (lime-ish green but not too bright).. I've been looking for FOREVER.

Can I pick something that doesn't exist that probably won't ever? I want blouses with sleeves that work out my triceps.

mmm...i would have said high waisted jeans a little while ago...
but the trends are finally coming around and it's becoming possible to find these again...
***without it looking like they have a built in corset...:rolleyes:...

i just really want the perfect black skirt...
such a simple thing...but i don't know if it exists really...
:ermm:

or ponte pants with pockets?

It sounds to me like this is what you are describing too. If not it's ok, you said yourself you are picky,:wink: but they have these at banana republic and it seems like it fits your description. maybe they are not right, idk.:flower:

It sounds to me like this is what you are describing too. If not it's ok, you said yourself you are picky,:wink: but they have these at banana republic and it seems like it fits your description. maybe they are not right, idk.:flower:

D: It's not but it's okay! XD I don't think I expressed myself clearly enough and I suppose until that step gets taken, a printed (graphics, pattern; like a modern legging) skinny jean that's not made out of a jeans weave/texure is going to sound like something else entirely.

i just really want the perfect black skirt...
such a simple thing...but i don't know if it exists really...
:ermm:

I can relate to eternal hunt for the perfect black skirt. I still haven't found mine. There's always something wrong with the ones I come by!

^ I have had one that was perfect before, but wore it out ... since then, I've been wearing what I have that's not perfect, haven't really gone on the hunt again ... I'm sure it's out there :wink:

Celest - I am pretty sure I have exactly what you are talking about.
Although they are black, and I have never seen them in any other colours/prints/types (sheer, lace, etc) I must tell you, they do at least exist in black, and I guess that is a step closer.
Although, I bought those and have never seen anything like it again...

Celest - I am pretty sure I have exactly what you are talking about.
Although they are black, and I have never seen them in any other colours/prints/types (sheer, lace, etc) I must tell you, they do at least exist in black, and I guess that is a step closer.
Although, I bought those and have never seen anything like it again...

maybe a version printed with the quirky, imaginative designs you see on modern leggings rather than just the basic black/white/solid colour/paint splatter/animal print.

But that's basically the core-features of what I'm after! D8
I keep making emphasis on this, so pardon me if I seem a little frantic and rude, it is NOT the intention. I'm aware that 'plain' versions of what I lemming must have been produced by now (yes, especially in black), but it's the 'creative' (eg.// the stuff I suggested earlier) side I'm waiting to be mass-released. XD

(But you're right! At least it's one step closer... but on the other hand, it's one of those so-close-yet-so-far dilemmas; almost as good as 'it never existed'.)

Oh crap!
I'm sorry, I knew exactly what you were talking about, I guess I didn't read correctly as to what you're looking FOR, as in, style wise. :doh:

KatInBoots: It's okay! I feel really bad that people must be so confused over what I'm on about! It's relieving you know what I'm on about. So you can help persuade others that I'm not insane. bahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->