The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it kind of hard to prioritize at the moment. I have a list of about 14 items that I feel I need (sooner or later) for spring / summer and somehow it's difficult to decide on what should be a top priority.

I feel I should maybe have one major investment piece each season. Last spring / summer it was a trench coat, in autumn / winter it was my jacket. I wonder if I should focus on a Chloé bag this season? The most expensive handbag I own is a MbMJ and it's more of a solution on time though it's doing pretty well. Sooner or later I want a real investment bag but somehow I never wanted to spend all that money. I think I might try to focus on saving up on one and keep the other items relatively low key. Somehow I feel if you buy ONE major investment piece per season you're on the best way to a great wardrobe on the long run.

Still need tops, a bikini, a pair of pumps though...

I think it is a good idea. Genereally I think you can get good clothes without spending tons of money on it. Even though I pretty much try to avoid them nowadays, many of my H&M items have lasted really good. I've got a cardi that'll soon be 4 years old and looks as new. Bags, shoes and leatherwear are something else however. I think that it is easier to spot a cheap bag than a cheap dress, and I also tend to wear my shoes out really fast and have sore feet if I do not buy quality.

Is there any model in particular you're looking at? And what MbyMJ bag do you already own?

I'm searching for a bag myself. I love my bayswater, but I could really use a black bag as well, preferably one that can carry books and maybe a small laptop/iPad, since I plan on studying further when I finished my computer-based education in a couple of years. I just have a really hard time finding a bag I relly WANT. I was never doubting that I wanted my bays but now I'm changing my mind all the time. My favourite ATM is the MJ Stam, but I've heard that it isn't fit for the things I need it for. Sadly, since it is the perfect bag regarding its looks.

Another option could be this bag from a danish brand called Decadent. The price-range are close to Marc By Marc Jacobs. I was head over heels in love with it last winter, but I'm not sure that I think the quality is good enough for a bag of that price, even though it is an okay price for a nice leather bag. Decissions decissions.

Anyhow, if anyone have seen a nice black leather bag in a classic/ladylike style, please let me know.

bigshopper-croco-black2700kr.jpg

I think it is a good idea. Genereally I think you can get good clothes without spending tons of money on it. Even though I pretty much try to avoid them nowadays, many of my H&M items have lasted really good. I've got a cardi that'll soon be 4 years old and looks as new. Bags, shoes and leatherwear are something else however. I think that it is easier to spot a cheap bag than a cheap dress, and I also tend to wear my shoes out really fast and have sore feet if I do not buy quality.

Is there any model in particular you're looking at? And what MbyMJ bag do you already own?

I'm searching for a bag myself. I love my bayswater, but I could really use a black bag as well, preferably one that can carry books and maybe a small laptop/iPad, since I plan on studying further when I finished my computer-based education in a couple of years. I just have a really hard time finding a bag I relly WANT. I was never doubting that I wanted my bays but now I'm changing my mind all the time. My favourite ATM is the MJ Stam, but I've heard that it isn't fit for the things I need it for. Sadly, since it is the perfect bag regarding its looks.

Another option could be this bag from a danish brand called Decadent. The price-range are close to Marc By Marc Jacobs. I was head over heels in love with it last winter, but I'm not sure that I think the quality is good enough for a bag of that price, even though it is an okay price for a nice leather bag. Decissions decissions.

Anyhow, if anyone have seen a nice black leather bag in a classic/ladylike style, please let me know.

*Please do not quote the images*

pic via decadentshop.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Bags: Betinapple, the bag looks nice from the picture, but it's hard to say something about the quality. Do you know someone who owns one? I actually own two MbMJ bags. I small black one and a bigger beige one that can carry Papers and stuff for work. Both aren't particularly exciting but they serve me very well - maybe because they are so simple. I love looking at those really exciting, colorful bags but somehow I don't think they'd be a good choice for me since I love colorful dresses and tops and need something that goes with everything. Now about the Chloe bags: For many seasons I have been admiring two Chloe styles: Marcie and Madeleine. I think sooner or later I want one as a long term investment. But not sure whether that will be this season. I'm not in a huge hurry but somehow I feel it would be wise to save up for something big instead of lots of mid-price clothing.

Where to spend and where to save: I think I have to rethink this one. I love to buy things that I think will last for many seasons and that was always a good strategy. However, I think part of my problem is that I live many different lives since the kids are here. When I'm playing around with them, cashmere just isn't the perfect material. I don't want to wash my cashmere sweaters every day... At the same time I'm tiered of wearing old and not so perfect stuff when out with the kids. I still want to feel great and stylish! So I think I need to find more reasonably priced clothing lines with decent quality and nice yet simple designs. I bought some APC last season and that seemed perfect. I think I need to develop a "casual style" but I still don't want to spend big bucks on that one. My money should still go to the cashmere sweater for work, to the nice coat and the nice bag.

@Redandnavy: It IS a good bag compared to the price. But when I think about that I could by a pre-used stam for not much more than the amount it costs, I hesitate a little. The leather is very stiff but I've heard that it becomes really soft when you use it. I don't know wether that is the case with the croco inspired leather as well. I think the plain leather version seems nicer quality wise. But also a bit boring maybe? I want something classic, but still with good detailing. Fortunately, it is a NICE to have and not a NEED to have item ATM, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind. I think it would be a good and rather cheap solution, but I still want to love whatever I end up with.

I really love the marcie bag. Especially in the beige and white colour. Think it would be great for your style! So classic and feminine.

I think your plan for how to spend your money is great. I know that many women use this concept to get some really high quality pieces into their wardrobe, but with my shopping budget I have (and want) to buy a little highstreet, 2nd hand and brands that are in a good quality but without being in a 1000$+ price range. As I told you before, I prioritize bags and shoes highly regarding the economic aspect. Coats, as you've mentoined, are also great investment pieces; generally everything that you wear often, if you want it to last. And since I spend loads of time thinking each and every purchase through, it is important that it last for a looong time.

Hope my english isn't too messy. Not on my top game today :smile:

decadent.jpg

pic via decadentshop.com

^ I really like the plain leather one, Betinapple :flower:

I must admit that I find it a bit too boring. It is very classic yes, but the other one would still go great with the things I would use it with, I think. I think the plain one ould be fine if it wasn't black, but it's a black bag i need ATM.

housebeautiful

^ What about a charm to make it interesting, like the Hermes tassel? (It's not that it's classic, I just like it better than the croc print.)

Attachments

• tassel.jpg
    tassel.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
^ What about a charm to make it interesting, like the Hermes tassel? (It's not that it's classic, I just like it better than the croc print.)

It could be an idea, yes :smile: I like the croc print though. My only worry is that the plain one will look better when I've used it for some time. However, if it only lasts troughout my studies (5+ years) it will be ok. I'll probably don't have the need for that big a bag when I'm starting to work.

I would like to spend on this particular item, but I haven't seen any bag fit for school use, that I really like, other than this. The perfect bag would be MJ's stam, but I've heard that it isn't good for carrying books etc., and since I don't have the opportunity to go and see it in real life, I'm not sure I wanna gamble. Maybe that can be a wish for the day I start working full time :smile:

^ Yes, I would say you could put paperbacks in the Stam, but textbooks, no. Lots of students carry backpacks, and there are nice leather ones ... that might be another option. (However, I admit I never did ... but the options are nicer now I think :P)

Betinapple, i like the 2nd black tote you posted. i used to think totes were stupid (i usually opted for bags that are worn cross body) but now i use a black leather tote everyday. i use it to carry my snack, newspapers etc on the way to work its great for lugging home groceries and all my purchases.

@Ta-ta: I don't see myself ending up with a backpack. I'm simply too vain. And besides, my back hurts from wearing a backpack stuffed with heavy books.

@Lucy: I really aggree! And I do have a thing for big bags. I think I'll go for the printed one, however.

one-chic-boutique

@Ta-ta: I don't see myself ending up with a backpack. I'm simply too vain. And besides, my back hurts from wearing a backpack stuffed with heavy books.

@Lucy: I really aggree! And I do have a thing for big bags. I think I'll go for the printed one, however.

Well, your back is going to bear the weight one way or another. The nice thing about a backpack is that it distributes the weight evenly vs a bag you hold in one hand.

Here's an example of a cute one:

Attachments

• backpack.jpg
    backpack.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 156
I love my black leather backpack. It's a kelty, which i didn't even know was kinda hip. I got it from a thrift shop. Lol. It's literally the shape of a classic backpack.

Well, your back is going to bear the weight one way or another. The nice thing about a backpack is that it distributes the weight evenly vs a bag you hold in one hand.

Here's an example of a cute one:

I know, but even though it is against the general "rules" my whole back hurts when I've worn a backpack, whereas i only get a small fatigue in my arms when I use a normal hand/shoulder bag.

Love both versions of that bag, Betinapple! I wonder how croc print leather wears once it's been loaded full of books for a few months? The smooth leather one might take a beating a little better, but I couldn't say for sure....

Love both versions of that bag, Betinapple! I wonder how croc print leather wears once it's been loaded full of books for a few months? The smooth leather one might take a beating a little better, but I couldn't say for sure....

That's exactly what I'm thinking! The plain leather one looks like it will "wear" better, but I find it the plain one too boring, so I'm not sure wether I should go for the croc print and see how well it lasts, or if I should simply find another bag, which seems to be an impossible task.

All the recent bags posted are beautiful! I personally prefer a simpler style, to me there is nothing more beautiful than clean lines with little adornment on a black blag. If any detailing I like a little bit of a bolder hardware or chain on it. I wish you luck in your search Betinapple! The croc bag looks beautiful, I hope it is the quality you are looking for!

I've been able to check off a few things from my list recently. For the summer I have a list of 5 things (in red is what I've recently purchased, with pictures below:(
collar necklace
black flats
white blouse

slouchy tee or tank
black cigarette pants

The necklaces are flea market finds, the blouse old navy (please excuse the wrinkles I haven't had the chance to iron it properly :lol:), and the shoes target. While I haven't bought any serious designer investments this season all of these items fit perfectly and I'm really pleased to have found them.

Scarlett Lover: I love your items! Well done! What will you do when you have all five items? Stop shopping for the rest of the season? :wink:

Betinapple: If you aren't totally sure about the bag, why not wait a little? You WILL find one that is perfect sooner or later. I know the feeling of maybe missing a singular opportunity... but truth is, if you're not in a hurry, a better option WILL turn up eventually.

Me: I have already my eyes set on my february item. I think it's gonna be a bikini... I'll keep you posted. But hey, sometimes I'm really doubting this one-item-per-month strategy. I feel like I could need at least 30 new items this season...:shock::blink::angry: I know I would survive without ANY new addition but somehow right now I feel like I'd really have to rethink my wardrobe. But I'll try to keep focused and take step by step, month per month and stay with my one-item-per-month strategy.

@Scarlett: I like simple bags as well, but it seems to me that there is not a lot of them out there. Love your collar necklaces!

@RedAndNavy: your absolutely right, and I am not going to buy anything (well, bag-wise) ATM. I have other stuff that I want and need more (a vacation and maybe a y-mail clutch, since my black clutch aint going to hold on for much longer)

Latest from me: bought a cream silk shirt which goes with ALL my skirts and my one, single pair of jeans. AND today I went and bought my Acne Pistol. I think I'm going to love them to pieces! That adds up to 3 items bought and 7 slots left, following my new strategy.

Congratulations on buying your pistols!!! Good for you! I'd love to know how you like them... I still wear mine pretty often and haven't regret buying them. Sometimes they feel a bit heavy though - in the literal sense of the word. Sounds strange but some days I feel like wearing a less heavy shoe. That Y clutch is so pretty so if you can save up for it, that would be awesome!

I actually ordered my bikini... Hmmm, I made my February purchase on Feb 1st already, I wonder if that is a bad sign :lol::blush: I hope it arrives these days and I'll post a pic if I'll keep it.

(It's actually -10 degrees Celsius outside... I think that made me order a bikini, hoping this will make summer come sooner...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swimflom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->