The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betina, I will definitely have a better look next time I step into a Benneton!

Ta-ta, I studied International Relations - I'll be sure to find a way to get you in :wink:

I cleaned my wardrobe yesterday for the first time since early 2013. There was a shelf with things left behind by my sister (she left home in 2009!) so I thought I could grab a scarf from there :wink: it's camel - not quite my colour, but it is a nice scarf, so I grabbed it anyway. I also got rid of a lot of things I haven't worn and gave them away to my mother and sister - mostly old jenas I had kept "just in case", pieces I didn't really wear but kept just in case, and pieces I have "upgraded" since.

I now have a much better idea of what I want/need. As I had said before, the area that is lacking the most in my wardrobe is knitwear. As such, between wants and needs, I would like
- a pale pink woolen jumper
- a breton woolen jumper
- an emerald green woolen jumper
- two black cardigans (wool or cashmere)
- a coloured cardigan, maybe in yellow to change up a bit? But any colour except for pink and red, as I already have those :lol:

I would also like to get more white shirts, as I wear a lot of those and they just look good with everything. Lately I found them to be a true staple in my wardrobe.

Recommendations are welcome as always ^_^

^So unfair. When I ordered my rust trousers that 30 euro shipping ended up costing me 60+ euros (the trousers were 34 euros) because I have to pay duy/tax on shippng fees. I would have LOVED free shipping...

^ Yikes, that is brutal!

I am looking forward to my EU membership very much :wink:

My New Years eve plans fell through and I am now going to a totally different party than I though I would. I was going to go to a nice dinner, where the men wear suits and the women cocktail dresses. I am very good at dressing for these events. I am familiar with these events:smile: Now I am going to a "house party" of some kind. I have NO clue how to dress for this! I don't even know what kind of clothes I should wear. I feel like I have nothing to wear... I only have things that are way to dressy, and grey things that are way to casual... I tried to look for a dressy, more casual dress, but apparantly there are no suitable, decent looking dresses out there. * mini panic attack *

I need some inspiration. I feel totally lost in this foreign terrain. What are you guys wearing for new years?

My New Years eve plans fell through and I am now going to a totally different party than I though I would. I was going to go to a nice dinner, where the men wear suits and the women cocktail dresses. I am very good at dressing for these events. I am familiar with these events:smile: Now I am going to a "house party" of some kind. I have NO clue how to dress for this! I don't even know what kind of clothes I should wear. I feel like I have nothing to wear... I only have things that are way to dressy, and grey things that are way to casual... I tried to look for a dressy, more casual dress, but apparantly there are no suitable, decent looking dresses out there. * mini panic attack *

I need some inspiration. I feel totally lost in this foreign terrain. What are you guys wearing for new years?

I am probably wearing my Lanvin dress, but if I do that, I need a wrap, which I don't have. When my plans are firmed up, I will probably shop for one.

To the kind of party you're talking about, I have worn dress slacks and a drapey top and heels. Do you have a dressy top and shoes?

PS My trousers arrived today, damaged, and they are going back. This means I now have only one surplus item :wink:

^:(

I am probably wearing my Lanvin dress, but if I do that, I need a wrap, which I don't have. When my plans are firmed up, I will probably shop for one.

To the kind of party you're talking about, I have worn dress slacks and a drapey top and heels. Do you have a dressy top and shoes?

I don't even have slacks:P I do not have a dressy top (I have grey sweaters) or suitable footwear. I think I will try to see if I can borrow something before I go out and buy something I won't wear again:/

Too bad fashionista-ta.

What I'm going to wear for new year? Probably a combination between comfy and chic I think, it also depends on the weather and what I'm going to do, friends or a chic dinner etc. When you've got one chic item you can combine it with a simple/plain other item or use jewelry etc. to make your outfit more chic.

^If I had a pair of decent black trousers and shoes I probably would wear one of my grey sweaters and a plain gold necklace. But I am so casual all around that I don't have dress pants or black pumps or any statement jewlery to dress anything up.

I am seriously considering just finind another event to go to... Much cheaper and much easier...

^That's indeed easier, but equally fun?
Maybe you can find something deep in your closet or in store that's cheap but very appropiate and reusable.
And borrowing is also a very good option!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you have several fancy dresses, eizhowa? Or are they too fancy for the occasion? I'm sure you can find one that isn't overyly dressy!

^All of my dresses are too dressy or wrong for the occation:( I don't want to be that one overdressed person at the party...

Just looked at your wardrobe board. What about this ... tobacco sweater, black jeans, Chanel flats, and then buy a sequined scarf or something like that to give a festive touch. Or could be a jeweled headband ... or belt ... or necklace ...

I will also say that a nice pair of black slacks should come in handy. Useful for parties, but for the rest of life too ...

From my own experience of house parties at New Years you can get away with wearing pretty much anything. There will always be someone wearing jeans and someone wearing a suit or cocktail dress. I don't know how dressy your planned outfit was, but I figure that in the Christmas season you can get away with being fairly dressy without any strange looks. :wink: I usually wear a cocktail dress for such occasions, and dress it down with minimal accessories, flat shoes and perhaps opaque tights if I suspect it's more casual.

I don't know if it's available or if it doesn't fit you, but if it does what about the grey Vanessa Bruno jersey dress that you have pinned on your wardrobe extras board? Something like that would be perfect. :smile:

I haven't decided what to wear this year yet. I'll most likely be going to a casual dinner party with family and friends, and I kind of want to wear my LBD, but I wore it last year with the same people (though I doubt anyone would notice or remember). But perhaps a pencil skirt and the draped silk blouse?

^Thank you for your input, Caramel:flower:. I suspected that people would be wearing all kinds of clothes. I just know I will feel so awkward if I get it wrong:( I hate surprises so not knowing anything about the dress code (I have never been to this party before) is driving me nuts.

I considered wearing a dress with flats, but I don't have the legs for it. I would feel too frumpy. If I am going to wear a dress, I need to be in heels.

I looked for that Vanessa Bruno dress, but I think I might have given it away... :S Whoops.

Ta-ta: I am always looking for black trousers, but fining a pair that is "just right" has not been easy:wink: I tried on the outfit you suggested, with a white jacket. It is actually one of the outfits I am planning to wear a lot next spring. I already bought a scarf to go with the outfit. But wearing orange/brown just does not feel like "new year" to me.

A house party? People won't even notice what you are wearing and after a couple of drinks you won't care either. :wink: Seriously, what about an all-black outfit? You can't go wrong with that. And Ta-ta's suggestion about sequined scarf sounds great! I bet you can find it very cheap in H&M or similar stores.

Btw, I received The lipstick (Charlotte Tilbury) in shade Love Liberty today and it is so so gorgeous! Very dark on me though, as per usual, may be due to the contrast with my porcelain complexion. The net-a-porter packaging is definitely something to write home about too. It was my first order with them, they were offering free express shipping. Despatched yesterday, came to my doorstep in the morning. :blink:

Regarding the rose gold earrings I ordered a couple of weeks ago - they haven't been shipped till today! They needed some credit card confirmation from the reason that is unknown to me and I wouldn't even notice not checking the order status on the website, when I was wondering what is taking them so long. Very disappointed with the customer service.

^I pounced when I saw they offered free express shipping as well:D The "Birkin brown" lipstick I ordered is more dark pink than I thought it would be, but I might have a very weird perpective. It will probably look brown to everyone else.

If people were going to be rolling around on the floor drunk I wouldn't care about what I was wearing at all:lol: I would wear black jeans, a black sweater and my black balenciaga boots (they are easy to clean). Unfortunately, it is not one of those parties. I am like a magnet for christian (mostly) non-drinking people (and I am not religious at all). When people are going to remember everything the dress code changes:P I am sure I will think of something. I think I have a sequined scarf at my mothers:wink:

Just popped into Uniqlo and got their wool/cashmere black drapey cardigan--super comfy and warm and versatile. (I also got some heat-tech tights and socks, which are surprisingly comfy and warm, but those aren't main items).

It was just what I needed, and along with a few nice simple camisoles I found elsewhere, actually appears to complete my winter wardrobe. Somewhat annoyingly, I don't think my winter wardrobe has any holes anymore. Now the problem is that I once again have a complete, working, capsule wardrobe--which I love in concept--and I'm bored with it. So it's back to square one. (The only thing is if I have to attend more than four dressy dinners in a row with the same people I'll probably need another dress and pair of dressy heels. I'd also still like another down coat, but only because I'm bored with mine.) I recently repaired my long black cashmere coat and remembered how much I love wearing it :heart:.

Lately if I bring home something I like, it's most likely very different from what I already have, which--mostly black and somewhat dramatic--has gotten pretty cliquey amongst themselves. So the poor newcomer ends up feeling like unwelcome and going home...:( I don't remember if I wrote this but I returned the Massimo Dutti skirt because I realized I liked the concept of it more than the execution, and the length wasn't agreeing with any of the shoes nor sweaters I have now, and I didn't have the patience to go looking for yet MORE items.

Re New Years/Christmas, no idea what I'm wearing. Probably an old sweater; I'll be at home with family and kids! :heart: Otherwise just one of my usual all-black permutations with some accessories like Ta-ta mentions.

But I love the idea of dress pants and heels for a party. Comfy and laid back but chic. I agree eizhowa, I envy people who have the legs to dress down dresses with sneakers/flats w/o looking frumpy. I don't, so I opt for long boots. If you're tall enough you can wear maxi dresses with flats/sneakers, or if not, heels with pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->