The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Uniqlo’s merino wool. I heard good things about their cashmere too but sadly it was too itchy for me. I tend to avoid sweaters that aren’t merino wool or good cashmere now because I have found them too itchy to be comfortable (this problem is probably just specific to me though).
The fabrics I mostly stick with are cotton, viscose/rayon, silk, cashmere, merino wool, and I have one blazer made of linen. There’s probably some nylon, elastane, or polyester blended with a jacket or trouser or something too.

@Ta-ta: I don't think we have that brand here - but I do prefer wool, cashmere or merino for knitwear anyway - Danish weather, you know :wink:

@Clarissea: I think the first step is to do your research - like you are doing now :smile: I try to buy as "natural" as possible in regards of materials: that would be wool, merino, cashmere, silk, real leather, cotton, viscose etc. - and I do prefer organic cotton, if I can get it. I have strauyed a bit away from (light) silk though, since I find that I am too cautious when I wear it - I would much rather wear a viscose shirt and be able to throw it in the washer. This also means that acrylic, nylon, polyester is a nogo. It doesn't neccesarily have to be for you - I think polyester is very durable, but I get really sweaty and with static hair, so it is not for me. Same goes for acrylic and non-leather shoes (minus the static hair :wink:).

Like Eizhowa said, I have had bad luck with natural materials too though. I have had cotton t-shirts get holes and merino knits that pilled like crazy. Wool is not just wool - there are good and bad qualities. Same goes for silk and any other fabric. I don't buy highstreet silk because I have had bad experiences with it.

Like Eizhowa says, a little acrylic or the like can be good in regards of helping the garnment keep the right shape, but I try to avoid items with too much of it - mostly because it feels uncomfortable to me.

@Eizhowa: It is funny you're mentioning, cause I can see that the cashmere sweater I got 2nd hand is holding up a lot better, than any of my other knitwear (the) original price was more expensive than the ones I got from new, though.

To be fair, the Uniqlo sweater was in a thin quality (somewhere between a fine knit sweater and a woolen l/s tee), and it was one of the cheapest they had, but still, I am not prone to buying one again - maybe if I was in store and had a chance to review it IRL, but not online.

Went thrifting with my mom Friday, didn't buy anything, but after I went home I regretted not getting a brand new InWear bomber jacket in a light material. Not a crisis of any sorts, I do have black jackets, but I think it would be a good alternative for my leather jackets during the summer. I've asked my mom to go see if she can find it and buy it for me, but otherwise no biggie, I guess.

I also found a grey COS sweatshirt, and it was nice and I was considering buying it, but I feel like I have clothes everywhere, and I have a lighter grey sweatshirt, so I am trying not to buy too many "duplicates" (things that fulfills the same purpose), since I am having a bit of a problem keeping everything on my clothes rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back from London last night, and it is definitely a very interesting city shopping wise - even though I only bought two souvenir mugs, two books and a British Museum tote bag :wink:

To be fair I only walked in into Regent Street's COS... I did see &otherstories, Uniqlo, French Connection, Anthropologie, Banana Republic which I was interested in before reading what ta-ta said on this thread :( and an Aldo Sale Store in Camden!

Even though it is not what I did at all, it does seem like a very good city for shopping :smile:

@eizhowa : Oh yes, the short Acne Raya cardigan, it is actually the one I first saw on Instagram ^^ I checked Vestiaire Collective but they are all sold (they definitely should remove the sold articles, so frustrating...). I checked Uniqlo but they don't have what I'm searching, maybe they have more in store but I don't live near one. I've made some researches about the fabric and it seems that even wool, angora or merino can pill so I guess quality doesn't mean 'no pilling'. Someone also said that knitwear purchased 10 years ago didn't pill like nowadays, I suppose that's why your second hand cashmere still looks good Betinapple!

@Betinapple : I think I need to check the composition more than I've ever done for sure! I usually never really read the labels and it seems it's a big mistake ^^ I'll be careful with acrylic too, I read everywhere it is definitely not the best fabric out there... (I will check my wardrobe too, I think I'll be surprised!)

Thanks for your advices and tips eizhowa, Betinapple & Ganybelle!

Also, when your knitwear is pilled, how do you take care of it? I was considering buying something like that, not sure though.

Clarissea: There are tons of Acna Raya sold on scandinavian resale sites. You could try Trendsales.dk. Google translate is helpfull:wink:

^^ My experience is that a even a lot of knitwear that I've bought in natural fibers like wool or cashmere go through a phase of pilling in the beginning. I don't know if that's a sign of poor quality or what, but I notice that after a wash or two it tends to stop, whereas an acrylic sweater will just keep on pilling until there is barely anything left of it. None of my second hand or vintage cashmere pills, I don't know if that's because it's been through that initial pilling stage already or because it's better quality...

The knitwear I've had with the least pilling usually has a bit of nylon in it.

I have one of those fabric shavers clarissea, and it works great for me. :flower:

@Clarissea: then the first step must be to start reading labels. I never-ever buy anything without checking the materials first.

I have a light grey cardigan similar to this one from last year - I am very happy with it.

http://www.hm.com/dk/product/81804?article=81804-A#article=81804-C Maybe it is available in your area as well? I think it has sort of the same look as the ACNE Raya, but the price is more affordable.

I have a lintshaver that I am very happy with - definetly a good investment :smile:

I also think there is some truth to what Caramel is saying in regards of natural fibres pilling most in the beginning. Surpus fibres maybe?

Thanks eizhowa, I'll check! (Also, I checked your IG feed and I must tell you I love your style!!)

A lot of people seems to say the same Caramel! I don't know why tough :/

Unfortunately, this H&M cardigan isn't available in my size in France :( I check their website every week, hoping for a re-stock but so far, nothing :/ I tried the S and it was way too big, let's not loose hope ^^

^shame! I do find the sizing of it a bit big too. I find that H&M restock regularly, so I will keep my fingers crossed :smile:

Thanks eizhowa, I'll check! (Also, I checked your IG feed and I must tell you I love your style!!)

A lot of people seems to say the same Caramel! I don't know why tough :/

Unfortunately, this H&M cardigan isn't available in my size in France :( I check their website every week, hoping for a re-stock but so far, nothing :/ I tried the S and it was way too big, let's not loose hope ^^

Thank you! You are so kind:flower:

What about cotton knitwear, do you care for it? I actually really like it since it has sort of "clean" feel to it, it's much lighter than wools and definitely easier to maintain, therefore it lasts longer, at least in my experiences. Cotton is never as warm but it is an option even for cold winters if you like the look of a chunky sweater. I like these very much, but one could easily burn indoors in woolen one. :mrgreen:

I hurried a bit and ordered the wedding dress yesterday! :buzz: I swear Ta-ta's curiosity has nothing to do with it. :lol: It will be custom-made, so it should take a few weeks before I receive it, fingers crossed it will fit like a glove. It's from NYC designer Alexandra Grecco. :heart:

alexandragrecco

Sorry for so many pics, but I just love it so much! :blush:

^ Oh nos, the pix aren't showing up for me!! Do you have them pinned as well? I'm glad you've found what you want :heart:

Agree with you about cotton, my thoughts were running along the same lines. Cotton can be quite warm, especially when layered, but is always so breathable. For a long time it was all I would buy, as heavy wool just doesn't work in my climate. Pilling is much less of a problem, and may not occur at all. I especially like pima cotton sweaters.

That's strange, maybe imgbox doesn't work. I don't have it on Pinterest, so I am just attaching it here. :flower:

Attachments

• b05002d37eff2c031e22ad41af75c25b.jpg
    b05002d37eff2c031e22ad41af75c25b.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 43572352aefc94b01eb49109b1e1aca3.jpg
    43572352aefc94b01eb49109b1e1aca3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Image-1-7.jpg
    Image-1-7.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6462 2.jpg
    IMG_6462 2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 0
I agree with the cotton story! Love cotton, it's easy and breathable.

That's a lovely wedding dress Jinadaze :heart:, the lace is so delicate and makes the dress very special. Also a very versatile dress for dressing down for other occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful, Jinadaze :heart: The delicate lingerie lace is perfect for you, and you'll be able to wear it as an LBD too for years! Great choice. Are you getting the tiara too? :wink:

Thank you! ^_^ I am getting the tiara too, but something more subtle, probably in gold with leaves. :smile: Also pearl earrings would be ideal with it, I really like the styling here.

Absolutely beautiful Jina! I tried to give you karma for it but couldn't :flower:

Thank you! ^_^ I am getting the tiara too, but something more subtle, probably in gold with leaves. :smile: Also pearl earrings would be ideal with it, I really like the styling here.

I've seen some pretty ones with leaves :flower: I also love a crown of fresh flowers. If you were closer, I'd let you wear my antique rose gold hoops studded with seed pearls for something borrowed. (One of the seed pearls is lost, so they're currently being repaired ... I took them along with my rings that are being resized. Nothing truly covetable among their jewelry though ... it is mostly estate--a little too new for me.) Maybe you can find some antique ones for something old ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->