The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you ladies, it means a lot! :flower:

Ta-ta, you are too kind. :blush: I looked on Etsy (again, gotta love Etsy) and came across a couple of pretty vintage rose gold earrings with pearls. Please feel free to pin some crowns/tiaras if you find anything. :kiss:

^ I took a picture of my earring and pinned it for you. My camera skills are quite limited, so I was pleased with myself for taking an in-focus picture one-handed :wink: With antique earrings, my tip is to be sure you know how they go on. My mother has some with screw posts that are pretty intolerable.

I wasn't planning to buy anything else this year, but today's news has me reconsidering. Saving my pennies for some final Lanvin purchases ... I had hoped this day would never come, but come it has.

I wasn't planning to buy anything else this year, but today's news has me reconsidering. Saving my pennies for some final Lanvin purchases ... I had hoped this day would never come, but come it has.

I know...:(:( I've been thinking of you... I know you don't do this, but maybe it's a good time to look around for pre-owned Lanvin as well, so you can maximize while items by him are still available.

WHAT?! Lanvin is over? Tell me you are joking or that I have misunderstood!

I was planning to buy some Lanvin ballet flats when I get a job a year or so from now...

I know...:(:( I've been thinking of you... I know you don't do this, but maybe it's a good time to look around for pre-owned Lanvin as well, so you can maximize while items by him are still available.

Do you have any recommendations? There may not be much here locally since there isn't much available new here.

I have found a few nice things already that I'm contemplating ...

Whoa Jina the dress is so pretty! Love the lave part, and how the dress can look demure with lace and without.

Do you have any recommendations? There may not be much here locally since there isn't much available new here.

I have found a few nice things already that I'm contemplating ...

Oh gosh..I've never shopped online so I'm not the best person to ask, but Vestiaire Collective is well-reputed and has a pretty large selection of Lanvin. (I know there are other well-reputed sites but I can't remember their names at the moment.) Here is the link:
http://www.vestiairecollective.com/lanvin/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Melisande--they really have a lot of Lanvin! (Including lots of ballets, eizhowa, including some I've never seen.) It looks like any item offered by an individual is non-returnable, which I think is most of what they have. They offer a relisting option ...

therealreal

Well, you inspired me :wink: I've ordered this. The Real Real does offer returns, but I am pretty unimpressed with other aspects of the site--customer service hours and process, buggy payment process, poor PayPal implementation, etc., etc. On the upside, they have 20% off for Halloween (TREAT).

I also saw some things on both sites with tags on.

This is a silk coat from 2007 that I remember seeing, at Barney's I guess. One thing I really like is the voluminous sleeves. I have a bulky sweater that doesn't work well with any of the coats/jackets I have now. Also nice for evening, obviously, but I don't think it's out of the question to wear it for day.

Something else nice about the vintage things is that the materials are so nice. They have definitely been cutting back on material costs in recent years.

I wore one of my blouses to a funeral recently and someone commented on the silk & directly asked me about the label, and then said, "That sounds like perfume." :wink:

Attachments

• Lanvin silk coat.jpg
    Lanvin silk coat.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
^ Lovely, so unique ta-ta! I'm very sad about the Elbaz news... hopefully you will still be able to build a collection :smile:

I have a couple of questions to ask! First of all, and yes, it is that time of the year again :wink: the perfect breton jumper! I'm looking all over but I know you guys have broader horizons (and shopping knowledge) than I do... I'd like one where the shoulders part doesn't have stripes (I'm terrible at explaining, indeed), black and white/cream, merino wool preferably. Up to (about) 100€ preferable! If anyone comes across one (Betina? :wink: ), please let me know :smile:

The other thing is, I really feel I should improve my wardrobe's quality. While my garments do endure several years and seasons, I think I should be a grown up for once and work on this! I do have a limited budget with what I make, the car and the living expenses from living on my own... and I've tried looking at yoox but it is so overwhelming! What are "cheaper", more affordable designer brands, or better, yet higher end high street brands, in you all's experience? I know we all love COS, but besides that... :smile:

The first time I saw that Lanvin coat ta-ta I didn't know what to think about it. But everytime I see it I like it more and more, it's quite unique with the zippers and ruffles. Something to enjoy for a long time, I hope. Are you still considering the other black coats you pinned?

barbaraaa My tip would be to wait for the sales, save and strike hard. :ninja: Unless you have something very distinct you look for it's a pretty good tactic I find. Usually I know exactly what I want when the sale hits so I can strike immediately.
Besides COS (wich has good quality, but also has more and more items that would fit better at H&M) I also like Weekday as a highstreet brand. It's from the same H&M/COS family but not as mainstream/minimal. I've heard some good stuff about Massimo Dutti, but have no experience with the brand myself.

Shame about Alber, Ta-ta. Go-to designers are so hard to find. Gorgeous coat though - so statement-y.

@Barbara: I don't have anything in mind ATM, but I will let you know if I see something. I am not searcing myself, but I always notice stripes :wink: and I know excactly what you min regarding no stripes at the shoulders. My Filippa K stripe blouse (not a sweater) is like that, but they don't have anything on their webshop currently? Maybe 2nd hand. The quality is really good.

My mother grabbed the bomber jacket for me. I am thinking this will be a great piece for summer, but also good for layering during the winter, with a sweater underneath - always good with extra layers :wink:

I've revised my wishlist a bit. I spend so much time at home studying ATM and it would really be nice with some comfortable clothes that are not just stockings and an old sweatshirt. Preferably something that I will actually leave the house in. I am thinking a pair of organic cotton leggins and a sweater dress or sweatshirt dress. I am thinking that a sweater dress might be the best option - has anyone seen something that matches that description? I have seen a few versions with a drawstring waist, and that might be nice.

Other than that I am considering getting an extra sweater and a wool jacket. I don't need anything though, and I really dont feel like shopping.

Attachments

• 41410787.jpg
    41410787.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2
barbaraaa My tip would be to wait for the sales, save and strike hard. :ninja: Unless you have something very distinct you look for it's a pretty good tactic I find. Usually I know exactly what I want when the sale hits so I can strike immediately.
Besides COS (wich has good quality, but also has more and more items that would fit better at H&M) I also like Weekday as a highstreet brand. It's from the same H&M/COS family but not as mainstream/minimal. I've heard some good stuff about Massimo Dutti, but have no experience with the brand myself.
Thank you! I have a Massimo Dutti jumper which I really like, so I can vouch for them! I shall check the others :smile:

I also plan on striking on sales too :lol: but still it's easier to know which brands will be more affordable... some things will always be beyond my budget!

@Barbara: I don't have anything in mind ATM, but I will let you know if I see something. I am not searcing myself, but I always notice stripes :wink: and I know excactly what you min regarding no stripes at the shoulders. My Filippa K stripe blouse (not a sweater) is like that, but they don't have anything on their webshop currently? Maybe 2nd hand. The quality is really good.
Yes, the Filippa K design is exactly what I would like :smile: Thank you, I shall look around for the brand :smile:

^ Lovely, so unique ta-ta! I'm very sad about the Elbaz news... hopefully you will still be able to build a collection :smile:

I have a couple of questions to ask! First of all, and yes, it is that time of the year again :wink: the perfect breton jumper! I'm looking all over but I know you guys have broader horizons (and shopping knowledge) than I do... I'd like one where the shoulders part doesn't have stripes (I'm terrible at explaining, indeed), black and white/cream, merino wool preferably. Up to (about) 100€ preferable! If anyone comes across one (Betina? :wink: ), please let me know :smile:

The other thing is, I really feel I should improve my wardrobe's quality. While my garments do endure several years and seasons, I think I should be a grown up for once and work on this! I do have a limited budget with what I make, the car and the living expenses from living on my own... and I've tried looking at yoox but it is so overwhelming! What are "cheaper", more affordable designer brands, or better, yet higher end high street brands, in you all's experience? I know we all love COS, but besides that... :smile:

You might try looking at Boden from the UK ... I've had good luck with my pieces from them, which were reasonably priced.

As far as Yoox, I like the Premiere feature where you set up searches for exactly what you want ... that helps narrow it down. Then you can go back to them & switch the sort to latest arrivals, so you can look at only what's new.

Maybe next season you can plan on an investment piece or two and see how you like them.

The first time I saw that Lanvin coat ta-ta I didn't know what to think about it. But everytime I see it I like it more and more, it's quite unique with the zippers and ruffles. Something to enjoy for a long time, I hope. Are you still considering the other black coats you pinned?

Thanks, fewormany (and betina) :flower:

I am still considering the steel grey ones, especially the long one I think. I really like the short coat, but I'm asking myself if I would really wear it, and if it really works with my lifestyle and the rest of my wardrobe.

I don't have a lot in the way of coats ... my trench, which does have some age on it, the black uncut corduroy one, which is narrow, and the Patagonia faux fur jacket. I keep everything a long time :D, but something appealing about coats is they should last me an extra long time, plus it's an area where I haven't done much in a long while.

I guess this is really an opera coat, but I also suspect that if I wear it differently, no one is really going to be thinking, Look at her wearing that opera coat during the day!! More like, Huh, never have seen anything like that at Walmart :wink:

Shame about Alber, Ta-ta. Go-to designers are so hard to find. Gorgeous coat though - so statement-y.

My mother grabbed the bomber jacket for me. I am thinking this will be a great piece for summer, but also good for layering during the winter, with a sweater underneath - always good with extra layers :wink:

I've revised my wishlist a bit. I spend so much time at home studying ATM and it would really be nice with some comfortable clothes that are not just stockings and an old sweatshirt. Preferably something that I will actually leave the house in. I am thinking a pair of organic cotton leggins and a sweater dress or sweatshirt dress. I am thinking that a sweater dress might be the best option - has anyone seen something that matches that description? I have seen a few versions with a drawstring waist, and that might be nice.

Other than that I am considering getting an extra sweater and a wool jacket. I don't need anything though, and I really dont feel like shopping.

The jacket looks nice, betina--I like the satin stripes. It looks like it could be a comfortable at-home/wear out piece? I think I've mentioned before that when I was working at home, I bought a couple pair of velour pants (no writing across the back!! :ninja:) to wear at home that I can also wear to Starbucks/the grocery store/farmer's market/etc. I'm wearing them right now in fact.

Knit skirts & dresses have a tendency to stretch out (and also go back when you wash them). For that reason I don't know if a sweaterdress would be the best option? Maybe with a full skirt? I guess the ones I've had have tended to be narrow. At home I like to sit Indian style, sprawl, etc., which would definitely not be conducive to keeping a proper shape :wink:

The jacket looks nice, betina--I like the satin stripes. It looks like it could be a comfortable at-home/wear out piece? I think I've mentioned before that when I was working at home, I bought a couple pair of velour pants (no writing across the back!! :ninja:) to wear at home that I can also wear to Starbucks/the grocery store/farmer's market/etc. I'm wearing them right now in fact.

Knit skirts & dresses have a tendency to stretch out (and also go back when you wash them). For that reason I don't know if a sweaterdress would be the best option? Maybe with a full skirt? I guess the ones I've had have tended to be narrow. At home I like to sit Indian style, sprawl, etc., which would definitely not be conducive to keeping a proper shape :wink:

Thank you - it was definetely very nice, soft and comfy. I think that your coat, however dressy, will also be very nice for a casual look with pants and ballet flats.

I aggree with you regarding knit dresses. And it is definetly a valid point, since I sit in the craziest ways as well - I should really stop that though, since I have a problem with my hip, and sitting in odd ways doesnt really help. Also I feel like a sweater dress would just be more comfortable - and more low maintenance - I have a tendency to spill when I am at home ( :innocent: ) and a sweatshirt dress i just easier to throw in the washer and dryer. At the same time, a knit dress is just more dressy than a sweater dress, and maybe more durable than a sweater dress? I don't really have good experiences with sweatshirts - I feel like they start to look worn very fast.

Well, you inspired me :wink: I've ordered this. The Real Real does offer returns, but I am pretty unimpressed with other aspects of the site--customer service hours and process, buggy payment process, poor PayPal implementation, etc., etc. On the upside, they have 20% off for Halloween (TREAT).

I also saw some things on both sites with tags on.

This is a silk coat from 2007 that I remember seeing, at Barney's I guess. One thing I really like is the voluminous sleeves. I have a bulky sweater that doesn't work well with any of the coats/jackets I have now. Also nice for evening, obviously, but I don't think it's out of the question to wear it for day.

Something else nice about the vintage things is that the materials are so nice. They have definitely been cutting back on material costs in recent years.

I wore one of my blouses to a funeral recently and someone commented on the silk & directly asked me about the label, and then said, "That sounds like perfume." :wink:

Wonderful!! I'm so glad you found something. It's very nice, I like the baroque style. My favorite thing about Lanvin used to be the fabric, the buttery thick silk. I hadn't seen much Lanvin up close recently so I didn't know the quality had declined, that's a pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->