The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
With antique earrings, my tip is to be sure you know how they go on. My mother has some with screw posts that are pretty intolerable.

I actually asked my mum the other day what kind of torture tool is that. :lol:

Loving the coat too. :heart: How are you going to wear it?
And I will not even say anything about Alber/Lanvin situation ... :cry:

Whoa Jina the dress is so pretty! Love the lace part, and how the dress can look demure with lace and without.

Thank you! :flower: It doesn't look too conservative, does it? I never wanted a wedding dress that would be too revealing and I don't even like the cleveage.

The other thing is, I really feel I should improve my wardrobe's quality. While my garments do endure several years and seasons, I think I should be a grown up for once and work on this! I do have a limited budget with what I make, the car and the living expenses from living on my own... and I've tried looking at yoox but it is so overwhelming! What are "cheaper", more affordable designer brands, or better, yet higher end high street brands, in you all's experience? I know we all love COS, but besides that... :smile:

Try with Marc O'Polo or even Lacoste, their quality is impeccable. As mentioned, Weekday is great, Ganni and AllSaints are even better. It's worth waiting for the sales. :smile: My go-to brand for trousers is Mango and all pairs I own are good as new after 2-3 years, they are my favourite and therefore in constant rotation. Also Esprit and S.Oliver seems to be highly recommended by many people I know.

Oh, I almost forgot. I am considering getting RED leather gloves this year. :o I was looking for black ones of course and nothing tickled my fancy until I saw these. The design is simple enough that I don't find the overall look kitschy and the shade (it's listed as "Berry" on the website) is very statementy. I feel like I need something like that ATM.
The quality of Dents gloves is absolutely amazing, I was admiring them in London a few times before. Their leather is butter soft.

ac9d185bcbdab25e12785b59a7b6bba2.jpg

dents

I actually asked my mum the other day what kind of torture tool is that. :lol:

Loving the coat too. :heart: How are you going to wear it?
And I will not even say anything about Alber/Lanvin situation ... :cry:

The post is like a screw, and the earring back screws on. Not only are the posts too thick and a bit uncomfortable, but imagine the PITA of screwing the backs on & off ...

I haven't really thought about it yet, but I like betina's idea! The main thing I'm thinking about is thick raglan-sleeve cotton sweaters that at best stretch the limits of my other coats. That is just practical though :wink: Will play with styling once it arrives--and the weather should be perfect for it now.

Of course I love the red gloves! I had (and still have) some darker red knit ones, and my vintage red leather ones that are a bit fragile. Red gloves are fun :wink:

Wonderful!! I'm so glad you found something. It's very nice, I like the baroque style. My favorite thing about Lanvin used to be the fabric, the buttery thick silk. I hadn't seen much Lanvin up close recently so I didn't know the quality had declined, that's a pity.

Yes, the blouse I mentioned is of exactly the silk you describe. It's no longer as thick, and it's actually difficult to catch them using silk lately ... there's much more polyester and viscose :( I am looking at a silk blouse, but I could actually find only one to seriously consider, unless I want to look at black or ivory. I really associate with Alber/Lanvin silk in beautiful colors. My petrol blue Lanvin blouse is viscose, and it really cannot compare to the silk. Go silk or go home :wink:

therealreal

Ordered one more piece, with tags ... I think I tried this on once in a different color. I'm not sure whether this is going to fit or not, but it should be good for work if it does--and I love the color & how the back drapes.

Attachments

• Lanvin shrug.jpg
    Lanvin shrug.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Lanvin shrug back.jpg
    Lanvin shrug back.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 0
farfetch

A pair of purple ballerinas, on sale ... I've been looking for a pair of purple shoes for years, so hopefully these will work well.

eizhowa, are you thinking of a pair? I know you were planning on several years from now, but some things wait for no man :wink: If so, let me know what you have in mind--if it exists, I will no doubt come across it in my exhaustive search :rolleyes: I have pinned a few on my recommendations board ...

Attachments

• purple ballet.jpg
    purple ballet.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2
@Barbaraa: actually, Ganni (which Jina mentioned), could have a sweater like the one you want. Maybe 2nd hand? I know they have had some in their previous collections, but they do stripes in some sort almost every season.

@Jina: gorgeous gloves! I think the colour will be very nice with your black and white clothes :flower:

@Ta-ta: Those shoes are the divine - the cardigan as well. The back drape look very flattering.

I actually found a sweatshirt dress in the excact fit that I want, in a super soft fabric and for a reasonable price, but ... it is petrol blue/green, which is not a colour I would consider buying ever. It suited me though, so I am not sure wether I am silly for not just buying it. If it had been black, white or grey I would have bought it in a heart-beat. I have really bad experiences with settling though. Any thoughts? - I need your wisdom :wink:

Ta-ta: That is such a gorgeous shade of purple!

I was thinking of getting some plain black or black patent Lanvin ballet flats, but it is not a pressing need just yet (I have my porsellis:wink:). It can wait until I have a job or job offer (and money...). So next year, maybe:smile: They actually sell Lavin flats locally here :D

Thanks, betina and eizhowa :flower:

I love petrol blue, so it's hard for me to answer ... I think I will have to leave it to others to advise :wink: But would dyeing it black be a possibility if you decide you don't like the gorgeous color? :ninja: :lol:

Received my coat yesterday ... dropped it at the cleaners today. I went one size up, and it is somewhat oversize, but I think that's fine in a coat. I like how it looks somewhat unzipped--but shouldn't be a surprise it's well designed :wink: It had a definite musty smell that my dog was really interested in :lol: and also had some I guess (I hope) food stains (white) on the L sleeve. I sent them a picture last night, and already this morning I had an e-mail saying I could have $25 off my next purchase. (From what I've read, though, this comes out of the hide of the seller of whatever item I buy--they don't compensate them for it.) So overall I'm pleased, but it's definitely not like ordering from regular retail.

Nice cool weather today ... thinking of wearing my wool dress for the first time tomorrow night.

I'm thinking of switching to 12 items a year like many of you, which is kind of what I did this year. The Lanvin items I'm buying now I plan to count in the future. I'm considering it an investment in the future of my wardrobe :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your input, Ta-ta :flower: I ended up deciding against it. My fiancée did not like it, and while that usually doesn't stop me ( :lol: ) it seemed silly, since it was mostly because I feel a bit bad, that he mostly sees me in loungwear, and my current attire is just not pretty (mumbles something about fleece-lined stockings and worn sweatshirts..). If I will be getting a dress like that, I think I will sew it myself - I have found some organic cotton heavy weight jersey and I think it should be within my skill-range.

It is really interesting reading about your experiences with 2nd hand shopping, since I have always been thrifting and therefore rarely think about the difference between that and regular retail shopping.

Actually, I need your advice on something else:

I think I mentioned finding a woolen coat that I liked a couple of months ago. I have just been waiting for it to get marked down (since it seemed inevitable and I am tired of paying full price for items that gets marked down a month or so later), and now it is. But the thing is, I don't feel like I NEED it. Still I feel like it would be silly not to buy it since I have been looking for a wool coat for the past two winters. Currently I am doing fine with my down jacket and my fjällräven parka, but it hasn't really gotten cold here yet; I can still get by with just wearing my suede jacket over a sweater, unless I am biking in the mornings, where I will be wearing my down jacket. It is still too warm to wear my parka. The past two winters I have been so sick of my outerwear selection, when it got really cold, mainly because I have been feeling like I needed something for dressier outfits.

_______

Other than that, nothing new here. I finally sat down yesterday and repaired a hole in my black sweater and the hem on one of my black (winter) dresses. Still don't really feel like I need anything further. It is nice.

Jina: the red gloves are so lovely!! How are you styling it? I'm very curious for inspiration as I also have a very similar pair of gloves, creamy soft leather lined in cashmere, in burgundy/dark cerise. I have two vintage sculpted wool hats from the 40's in the same colour, which I wear with the gloves and long coat and secretly enjoy feeling like I'm a client of Hercule Poirot's :lol:

Ta-ta: ohh the shoes are positively droolworthy:heart::heart:...congrats on the coat and good thing you sent it off to be cleaned immediately, lol. I don't know why they don't pre-launder...so annoying! If I were ever selling something it would be unthinkable to sell it without washing and ironing it perfectly first...but anyway that's not important...I'm glad you're pleased with the coat!

Strangely, I'm still satisfied with my highly minimal wardrobe and feel no real need for anything. I just sewed myself a white broderie anglaise tea-length skirt which I specifically made with my fall wardrobe in mind. I must say I do particularly enjoy wearing it this season with my grey cardi and grey long wooly socks, or with my purple parka and hot pink trainers (and shocking the Parisians.) Slowly but successfully evolving out of all-black. Looking forward to doing more sewing projects.

I think I mentioned finding a woolen coat that I liked a couple of months ago. I have just been waiting for it to get marked down (since it seemed inevitable and I am tired of paying full price for items that gets marked down a month or so later), and now it is. But the thing is, I don't feel like I NEED it. Still I feel like it would be silly not to buy it since I have been looking for a wool coat for the past two winters. Currently I am doing fine with my down jacket and my fjällräven parka, but it hasn't really gotten cold here yet; I can still get by with just wearing my suede jacket over a sweater, unless I am biking in the mornings, where I will be wearing my down jacket. It is still too warm to wear my parka. The past two winters I have been so sick of my outerwear selection, when it got really cold, mainly because I have been feeling like I needed something for dressier outfits.

I totally understand your dilemma--especially with regards to winter coats. There is a difference between not needing it right NOW and actually needing it in your wardrobe though, no? The past few years, I always thought I didn't REALLY need a lighter but "less casual" wool coat and that I could theoretically just do with my down coat and long dressy black cashmere coat and fur coat and leather and velvet jackets, but still, every spring and fall the past few years I've felt like something was missing, and plus I was getting really sick of my coats. In fact once I actually got that lighter wool coat recently, I wear it every single day and am as happy as a pea in a pod (?) and can't imagine life without it. I wouldn't have realized if I didn't actually step into living with it. Just my two cents...

To contrast, I've always been vaguely looking for a specific kind of lace-up shoe I love, and I've been seeing them pop up recently so I've been tempted. But that, I definitely do not need. I don't have a hole in my shoe collection, and neither do I feel sick of my own shoes...so that, I would consider a different case...if I do get a pair it would just be a treat...

Jina: the red gloves are so lovely!! How are you styling it? I'm very curious for inspiration as I also have a very similar pair of gloves, creamy soft leather lined in cashmere, in burgundy/dark cerise. I have two vintage sculpted wool hats from the 40's in the same colour, which I wear with the gloves and long coat and secretly enjoy feeling like I'm a client of Hercule Poirot's :lol:

Ta-ta: ohh the shoes are positively droolworthy:heart::heart:...congrats on the coat and good thing you sent it off to be cleaned immediately, lol. I don't know why they don't pre-launder...so annoying! If I were ever selling something it would be unthinkable to sell it without washing and ironing it perfectly first...but anyway that's not important...I'm glad you're pleased with the coat!

Strangely, I'm still satisfied with my highly minimal wardrobe and feel no real need for anything. I just sewed myself a white broderie anglaise tea-length skirt which I specifically made with my fall wardrobe in mind. I must say I do particularly enjoy wearing it this season with my grey cardi and grey long wooly socks, or with my purple parka and hot pink trainers (and shocking the Parisians.) Slowly but successfully evolving out of all-black. Looking forward to doing more sewing projects.

I would love to see the skirt you sewed

Thanks :heart: And I feel the same way about the coat ... I would never send something out into the world that way. But it looks like it should be easy enough to fix. When I used to thrift, it was rare for the clothes to not be clean. And I love your being a client of Hercules Poirot!! Back in the day I read all the books--many more than once. He was my favorite character.

betina, sounds like you should buy the coat, since you have been wanting to build out your wardrobe there, and you don't have other pressing needs.

^ I agree with you both, Betina go get the coat while you can!! I also cannot imagine being without one, I am wearing it approx. 5 m/y (except for hiking etc., I wear a down jacket for that). I am actually glad I bought it last year (have been looking for "the one" for ages too) and that I don't have any major holes in my wardrobe to fill this season. Really I don't need anything at this point, except of black wool trousers on which I already lost my hope long ago. :lol: Last year I've managed to buy grey ones and a year before navy pinstripe ones, but a black pair just seems to be hiding from me. :angry:
Melisande, I am going to wear my new red gloves with a black wool trench (which I believe I posted here several times ^_^) and cashmere scarf, taupe bowler bag (well, mostly) and most of my tops for winter are actually grey. I really love the grey + red combo, always seems so freshly elegant. I am also getting used to wearing more jewellery, starting with a delicate necklace which was gifted to me recently (I have a matching bracelet from this June) and I will consider wearing earrings again. I have quite a few pretty pairs but am usually too lazy to put them on. It must be because I always rush through the doors in a hurry. :ninja:
Speaking of accessories I haven't worn for a long time, I also have a pleated grey scarf (this one is quite interesting) and a dark red snood. The shade probably won't match the gloves but it's worth a try.

Ta-ta: I LOVE Hercule Poirot too!! Have you watched the fantastic series with David Suchet? I'm such a huge fan, I've watched each episode at least three times probably and have recently gotten back into it...except the final three which I can't bring myself to watch for fear of coming to terms with its finale and his death. It is the most aesthetically and stylistically beautiful show ever; acting, music, sets and props, but fashion-wise it's a special inspiration...:heart::heart::heart:

Jinadaze: Red gloves with black coat ... and taupe bag!!...How beautiful, the taupe would be a perfect addition! Most of my winter tops are grey too. I love a grey and red combo as well, though I've worn that combination a little too much over recent years, especially since my lips and nails are perennially red. (Or sometimes taupe...nails, that is!:wink:).

missstarshine: thank you, I'm a little lazy and shy with photos but I'll try!:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched it, and I do like his Hercule ... but it's been a long time.

Grey and red sounds good ... like grey wool trousers and red heels!

Thank you for your input, really nice perspectives as always - greatly appreciated!

@Melisande: I would love to see more images of your items and style - sounds really chic. I would also love to see the skirt - sounds great.

I still haven't made a decission regarding the coat, but I am starting to think that it just might not be excactly what I wanted and that is why I am in doubt. It is not oversize, but the waist is not defined and while it is somewhat classic, it might be a bit too on-trend for me - and not feminine enough. Which is actually what I liked, it not being to elegant and feminine, since, to be honest, my style mostly isn't at the moment. I miss it though, and since I am covered in regards of practical outerwear, I think I might opt for something more feminine - I can always go for my parka or downcoat for my (atm TOO many) momjeans and turtleneck days.

Ta-ta: Ooooh grey wool trousers and red heels. How about grey tweed with red leather!:heart:

Betina: thank you! I'll try to get over my shyness over photos...:blush: What you say about the coat makes perfect sense. How much you love something and how often you'll end up wearing it are huge factors. In my experience, it's best to leave a wardrobe gap (wardgap?:stuart:) be if it's a small gap, and make do until I find something I really love. It's happened that I've filled in gaps in a rush--pushed by a good discount or a sudden event, only to find I've never worn it since....which makes me feel so incredibly sad for the poor items, regardless of price :(.

By the way has anyone successfully dyed cashmere? I stained my white sweater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->