The Acne Thread #3

I have a few pimples on my chin, which are not going away and I have PCOS so i have a feeling it is due to that. I'm on Valette BCP but i think it's making my skin bad! I saw a dermatologist and they want to put me on accutane for 8 months I think. Someone told me Accutane can affect your fertility? This worries me.

Nope. Should I be?

Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells. They build up even though you wash your face. You only need to exfoliate a couple times a week. For your cleanser you want to bump up to something stronger, men's skin is a lot tougher and needs stronger cleansers (read THIS it puts it better then I can) Does you SPF have oil in it? If it does you might want to switch to something without oil. I find that oily lotions/sunscreens always make me break out the next day.

i think i'm going to buy Clinique anti-blemish... :unsure: i don't realy have that much acne. My main skin concern is that my skin is realy oily, i've got blackheads/comedones and my pores are too big (at the nose, forehead and chin) :cry:

do you think Anti-Blemish will help??

I think an anti-blemish is well worth a try.
I had quite a few of blackheads and my pores were really big around the outers of my nose. I exfoliated and did a blackhead/acne astringent routine and got it under control. I have combination skin (if that helps) If you're really pale (I am) you can try hydrogen peroxide. That cut down my acne a lot. It kills the bacteria but only do it at night because sunlight is not good for it and will cause hyperpigmentation. The thing with oily skin is that if you clean and strip away the oils the skin kind of freaks out and produces more oil (and more acne) so find a really good acne moisturizer that wont make you break out when you wash your face.
Always wash with warm water it opens your pores.

And has anyone tried Clinique acne solutions foundation?
I am thinking about getting it since I want to kinda protect my skin even when wearing foundation (tough since I'm on therapy I rarely do so) but I notised that after wearing it my acne are in worse condition,they seem like irritated even tough my foundation never broke me out.

I went to my dermatologist yesterday and she said that my skin is much better,that all I have are little left overs from acne and some spots,but I still am afraid to wear make up because of possibility of getting worse.

I ate roaccutane for few months, which turned my skin to almost perfect. But the acne are back. I think I'll visit my doctor in few months, if it gets worse.

Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells. They build up even though you wash your face. You only need to exfoliate a couple times a week. For your cleanser you want to bump up to something stronger, men's skin is a lot tougher and needs stronger cleansers (read THIS it puts it better then I can) Does you SPF have oil in it? If it does you might want to switch to something without oil. I find that oily lotions/sunscreens always make me break out the next day.

Thanks!

I have a few pimples on my chin, which are not going away and I have PCOS so i have a feeling it is due to that. I'm on Valette BCP but i think it's making my skin bad! I saw a dermatologist and they want to put me on accutane for 8 months I think. Someone told me Accutane can affect your fertility? This worries me.

accutane (also known as roaccutane in some countries) is a fantastic medecine with a very high content of retinol (vitamin A) which basically dries out your skin when taken over long periods of time (6to9 months). I took it myself when I was 18, when I had very bad acne and I've never had horrible skin ever since. Yes, I do get one or two spots a month when my period is due but that's it.

Roaccutane MUST be prescribed and must be taken under strict supervision. Vitamin A does not dilute within the body and the excess stores in the liver, hence the reason as to why, when taking this, the patient is asked to have periodical blood tests. Equally, it can seriously dry your skin (I used la Roche posay toleriane for my face, la Roche posay lipbalm and nivea for my hands) and they will absolutely forbid you from getting pregnant as it would affect the baby. It does not, however, affect fertility.

From what you say, I wouldn't think that you need roaccutane, have you tried a decent face wash (the best is neutrogena oil free wash), a nice toner (rose water is great) and a good moisturiser - something non comedogenic like toleriane. Always remember that oily skin is severely dehydrated skin, which breaks out because the balance water v oil is heavily tilted towards the oil part. Drink lots of water and use a toner and you'll see the difference. I do and ten years on I'm quite happy.

Any questions, let me know

I just HAVE to make a post about this. Everyone who needs to exfoliate i really recommend this product by Biore, Pore Unclogging Scrub(not sure if anyone has mentioned this product or not). I just got it about 3 days ago, and in that short span, it has done wonders for my recent breakout! I think im going to stick with this for a while and see if it continues to be a success.

New products always do wonders for me but skin adapts to them after a few weeks so I don't do it everyday so my skin never gets used to it.

I've tried the Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub before, didn't do anything for me at all. In fact, it made me break out more. :blink:

^^Oh wow, im sorry to hear that :( . Its actually OK for me now, the effects of it mellowed out. :unsure:

New products always do wonders for me but skin adapts to them after a few weeks so I don't do it everyday so my skin never gets used to it.

yeah i need to try and do that McClaire. i think my skin just adapted to it, and the effects of it mellowed out a bit.

I tried La Roche Posay Effaclar H series and I am very satisfied with them!!!

Does anyone think Acne is due to problems with detoxing/cleaning the body? i know i've heard that before and have seen an interesting article online but am not sure and dont really know what to think, i guess.

^ I've never heard of that. I remember reading something similar to this LINK
That explained a lot to me when I was younger. Do you remember what article it was cause I'm curious to read it. :smile:

Does anyone think Acne is due to problems with detoxing/cleaning the body? i know i've heard that before and have seen an interesting article online but am not sure and dont really know what to think, i guess.
My beautician also told me that. My liver wasn't working properly at the time and that was seen on my skin (I had huge break outs), so she said I was probably cleaning through my skin. When I asked my doc about this, she confirmed that was possible and it was actually quite common cause of skin problems.

^ Yup, my dermatologist too.
In fact, she "prescribes" a cleanse and healthful diet to all her patients. In her mind, it can't hurt (if done under medical supervision) and can only help. [This isn't the master cleanse thing where you eat nothing for days, btw.]

BUT...per usual, it didn't do anything with my acne!
It's impervious to restricting or eliminating coffee, dairy, gluten...etc. (and I don't eat junk food, fried food, or anything else that'd be considered 'bad')
:blink:
But for some it's been the missing link. YMMV!! Your mileage may vary :flower:

Thanks everyone for your input!! :smile: (and McClaire, i sent that link to you)

I might go ahead and ask my doctor/derm whether or not it would help if i did a cleansing/detox. Like Serenity*Now said, im sure it cant hurt it can only help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->