The Business of Magazines

Wishing Stefano Tonchi return to L'Uomo Vogue and replacing Franca Sozzani.
What does exactly André Leon Talley do at Vogue (as editor-at-large)? he only writes that small section under his name, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Yes he has a column every month (usually about a page long), and sometimes he even interviews the cover stars (Obama,Hudson.etc, his role at the mag changed several times over the years), but he is really Wintour's eyes and ears, and represents "Vogue" , he has a close relationship with many of designers, fashion houses.etc, and very often gets exclusives, access no other editors do.

Thank you Miss Dalloway. With my question I wanted to raise some discussion. Maybe I'm wrong, but judging by the lack of editorial visibility, I think his role at Vogue is not particular brilliant. As you mentioned, I only associate him with Jennifer Hudson, Venus Wiliams, and recently with Lady Obama, which contrary to the main opinion, I think the first lady has no good taste at all.

Does anyone know what happened to W & Michael Thomspon? His last cover was for May 2008...

Media Week UK reports:

Distill closes after 10 months

30 June 2009

Distill, the global style magazine geared towards creative professionals, has ceased publication less than a year after its launch.

The bi-monthly title, which took its inspiration from Dennis Publishing's The Week and was presented as a digest of style and fashion press from around the world, launched in September.

The title's publisher, Craft Publishing, has decided to cease publication after just two issues due to the difficult economic market.

Craft Publishing said it is hoping to bring the brand back as a mobile application. It has not, though, ruled out reviving Distill, which was aimed at 25 to 45 year-olds in the creative industry, as a printed magazine.

It is understood the closure has not led to redundancies, as staff have been redeployed within the group or were employed on a freelance basis.

Craft Publishing was set up in 2007 by managing director Christopher Lockwood, previously a publisher at Wallpaper and Dazed & Confused, and editorial director Matthew Line, former editor of titles including Homes & Gardens and She.

Media Week UK also reveals details of a new magazine launch (mediaweek.co.uk:(

Stylist revealed as ShortList's brand for women's free mag

14 July 2009

ShortList Media's free upmarket women's weekly will be called Stylist and launch in late September/early October. Former IPC executive Glenda Marchant has been appointed publisher and it will be edited by the editor of Bauer's More!, Lisa Smosarski.

Chief executive Mike Soutar's title will be handed out every Wednesday via a network of street vendors, initially in six cities including London, Manchester, Glasgow and Birming­ham, with a distribution of 400,000.

Stylist's mix of high-end fashion and style content will put it in competition with Bauer weekly Grazia and monthlies such as IPC's Marie Claire and Condé Nast's Vogue.

Soutar, chief executive of ShortList Media, has a history primarily in men's titles, including editing FHM. Sales and editorial teams of similar size to ShortList are being recruited, while Soutar and managing director Karl Marsden present the new concept to clients and agencies.

Stylist will target affluent 20 to 40-year-old female commuters with content "written with a zip and style that will make it stand out in the market", according to Soutar. Its content will also include travel, people and careers news. He added: "We won't be covering unflattering paparazzi shots of celebrities and spurious stories about celebrity romances. There will be as much crossover of Stylist readers with newspapers as magazines."

Stylist is the second launch from ShortList, whose backers include French Connection founder Stephen Marks and film producer Matthew Vaughn. Marchant left IPC at the end of last year after six years, including stints as advertising director on Woman & Home, Essentials and Family Circle before her appointment as publisher of glossy monthly InStyle.

Smosarski has edited weekly title More! for three years. She joined Emap (now Bauer) in 1998 and has edited Smash Hits - like Soutar - and teen magazine Bliss.

Attachments

• 7514FB6D-CF5A-C179-21E06872AE8FE4C3.jpg
    7514FB6D-CF5A-C179-21E06872AE8FE4C3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Former UK Marie Claire editor, Liz Jones, talks in the Daily Mail:

Patronising, fake and pointless - why I've given up on the glossy

19th July 2009

As the former editor of Marie Claire, LIZ JONES reveals why she's fallen out of love with fashion magazines.

For years I have loved fashion magazines. I bought my first issue of Vogue in October 1975. It cost 75p. I haven't missed an issue since and have them all stacked up in my house, in chronological order.

It would be fair to say that fashion glossies have ruled and shaped my life: I have always lived and breathed them, done precisely what they told me to do (I remember a photo of model Sandra Dickinson in Vogue eating a watermelon; it prompted me to eat nothing but difficult fruit for a year) and yearned for the beginning of each month to get my fill of every new glossy tome, so full of promise and fantasy.

My first proper job was on a glossy - Company - and I thought I had died and gone to heaven, so happy was I to be allowed to work for a women's magazine. But of late I've fallen out of love with magazines.

I have just been reading the new issue of Easy Living and came across this article. I quote its beginning exactly: 'As an alternative to wine, I'd like to drink beer, but I haven't tried it since I was a teen! Where do I start?' This in a magazine with readers who are supposedly older, professional, fairly well-heeled and, presumably, intelligent.

And don't get me started on the fashion pages. Remember that notorious feature in Vogue a couple of months ago when it told you all about new ways - the 'Grab', the 'Twist' - to carry your handbag? I mean, come on! We have had The Female Eunuch, The Beauty Myth, the Equal Pay Act, and this is the sort of twaddle that is still being fed to us?

Isn't it time they all tried a little bit harder to be on our side, to help us through the mire of recession rather than trying to brainwash us into buying ever more stuff we didn't know we needed in the first place?

I find the way fashion magazines still push over-priced clothes on us incredibly outdated and non-PC. Take the shoot in Kerala, India, in the June issue of British Vogue: in a region where most people live on less than $1 a day, there is Daria Werbowy in a £3,690 cotton dress by Yohji Yamamoto and a silk/linen ballgown by Ralph Lauren costing £9,500 - the little children used as obscene accessories.

Even the more downmarket, mainstream magazines relentlessly push clothes very few of their readers could afford. In Grazia is a silk dress by Gucci costing £3,600, and a few pages later we find the most ridiculous garment of all: a red snakeskin-trimmed jacket by Louis Vuitton costing £7,400. All these images have a drip, drip, drip effect, making us feel dissatisfied with ourselves and what we own, so that we believe we can buy our way out of our misery.

The reason all the magazines, no matter the demographic of their readers, feature expensive brands is simple: it is not about inspiration or aspiration, it's about survival. Unless a label is featured editorially, preferably on a cover and worn by a top model or celebrity (or, if not, on a whole page inside), a magazine does not stand a hope in hell of attracting a fraction of that brand's advertising budget.

As circulation falls (Elle is down 4.1 per cent year on year in the latest ABC figures), magazines are becoming ever more reliant on adverts. And as even luxury labels feel the pinch - Chanel and Burberry have been shedding staff like so many marabou feathers - competition for that ad spend is hotting up.

As the edgy, purely style magazines are forced to publish less frequently, you can bet your last euro the glossies will become more sycophantic in their bid to stay in business.

I remember when, as editor of Marie Claire back in the early 2000s, I would first of all have to secure a star for my cover, and then I would have to ring round all the top designers to see if they would dress her. If the star was British, or edgy, or a bit fat, the designers would turn their noses up and tell me to find someone else.

I remember I had a black, female contestant from the first series of Big Brother lined up for the cover, and I naively asked Giorgio Armani to dress her. 'No way,' came the reply. 'Have you tried getting Natalie Portman?' I once tried to put the singer Sade on the cover: beautiful, black, in her 40s. I was told by my publishing director that Sade was far too ancient. This for the cover of the so- called 'thinking woman's magazine'. (Remember Vogue's Age issue, a few months back? It featured the hardly-geriatric Uma Thurman on its cover.) So much for editorial autonomy.

And as for the beauty pages, they seem not to have progressed since the Seventies. In Vogue, in a piece on how to obtain a perfect posterior, is the following gem: 'A flat butt isn't much sexier than a fat butt.' It is all too far away, too full of fairy tales, too sniping and, dare I say it, anti-women.

Here is a snippet from Easy Living again, this time talking about pedicures: 'Cleanliness is the first step to beautiful feet.' Really, how groundbreaking! I am so glad I spent £3.20 on this magazine, which also recommends an anti-cellulite cream that costs £4.88 and 'visibly moisturises and firms cellulite-prone skin'. Does it? Have they tested it rigorously or did it just plop, like all the other beauty freebies, on to a crowded desk? Is it just cynical old me, or does their last claim smack of being in hock to the advertisers?

I spoke to one beauty director of a big British glossy, and she told me that she can 'never be critical of any of the big brands. You can say that my job is, really, to write press releases for them. Only tiny, boutique brands with no advertising budget would ever be given a bad review in my pages.'

Some magazines are, admittedly, trying to move with the times. Grazia has several 'chiconomics' pages, featuring bargain basement stuff, and commendably helped set up a charity shop with PR guru Mary Portas. Vogue has hastily resurrected its much missed 'more dash than cash' fashion feature.

Vogue's editor Alex Shulman wrote to all the major labels pleading with them to stop making such teeny tiny sample sizes, but still the August issue features 16-year-old model Karlie Kloss, the thinnest of the thin with a 22in waist, over an incredible ten pages.

In Elle, Harry Potter star Emma Watson is dressed in Louis Vuitton, Dolce & Gabbana and Chanel, and is quoted as saying: 'I'm interested in Fairtrade fashion, but to be honest, the stuff's kind of ugly.'

I think the glossies' days are numbered. Last month, media buying company Group M predicted dozens of magazines were under a 'lethal threat'. They are being usurped by sharp, super-critical online sites and blogs that are not afraid to stand up to be counted. Look at the way M&S was forced to address its higher price for bigger bras by a group of women who were disgruntled at being discriminated against and started a campaign on the web.

The magazines, our magazines, have got to start being on our side again.

She sounds konda bitter. But an interesting read nonetheless.

WOW she ALWAYS sounds SO bitter, sure there is several good points raised in her article, however it seems like she is on constant tirade, and how appropriate that she writes for Daily Mail (which i call Daily Hate Mail)!

Thanks tigerrouge...that was such a good reading...:flower:

I have never been agree with advertisers been push into the readers faces, there was a time when been featured on a magazine cover was an honor for a designer non :doh: ???...and he didn't payed for the cover....magazines shoulde be good by themselves and their editing (fashion and content wise) and that's what should attract an advertiser..but oh boy....as the article saids at the end "The magazines, our magazines, have got to start being on our side again"...now magazines work more to please advertisers than readers...it's sad and the economy has put them in that place...but my point is that they have loosed their place as the place to find the best of the industry...now their mostly feature the highest bidder...

also the article brings to the table the issue of the journalists and how they cannot give a bad review...very few do it...how can a designer or company be better without serious sincere feedback...they need to suck it up and get better instead of ban ppl from a show...

but I'm naive and I'm not in the biss so many other things are probably being considered

Publishers fret over September issues.
By Nat Ives
NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- Fashion and beauty magazines are set to reveal this week how well, or how poorly, they sold ad pages into the upcoming make-or-break September issues. The titles' extended deadlines to sell ads, along with their general unease talking about the subject any earlier than necessary, suggest that the picture isn't going to be so pretty this year.

"Typically advertisers could book either years in advance or months in advance because positioning is everything, so getting in those issues specifically is critical," said Robin Steinberg, senior VP-director of print investment and activation at MediaVest Worldwide. "Today everything is wait and see until budgets get realized, so publishers are working harder than ever to drive that business."

September is a critical month for the titles as well. Vogue booked 673.89 ad pages in last year's September issue alone, for example, 23% of its haul for the full year, according to Media Industry Newsletter figures. For Elle, September represented 16% of the whole year's ad pages. If all issues were equal, a magazine publishing 12 times a year would expect each to contribute about 8%.

Some good news
On the semi-bright side, there's a heartening chance that September's ad page declines since last year won't be as awful as magazines' last big test for fashion: the March issues.

This year's March issues, of course, suffered from comparisons against the ad-heavy copies published in spring 2008 and sold even earlier in the year -- just the gentle dawn of the recession. This year's September issues only have to go up against the issues from last fall, which suffered because the recession was entering full force by then.

But we're accepting even small comforts. And there are other reasons September might not be down quite so sharply.

"The percentage declines in September will be much better than March, when advertisers didn't have as good a handle on the economy," said an executive at a major advertiser in women's magazines. "Things have settled down a bit, which is to say maybe things aren't getting better, but they're not getting any worse. So it's easier for advertisers to determine how much money they have to spend for the remainder of the year. A lot of first-half money that got put aside is going to come back into print."

Most important season
Ad pages at Hachette Filipacchi's Elle have fallen 21% from September 2008, to 326.7 pages from 413.5, according to Publisher Anne Welch. That's better than March, when Elle gave up 28%. "I'm not suggesting that it's over and it's all better at all," Ms. Welch said. "It's going to be a while before it all comes back. But marketers realize this is the most important season to brand."

March was a much more difficult issue to sell, especially so soon after the dismal holiday season, Ms. Welch added. Elle is now seeing some advertisers return to its pages after sitting out issues or resume bigger buys, marketers such as Blumarine, Jean Paul Gaultier and Hugo Boss.
Then again, Ms. Welch cautioned, some of these September pages may just be getting moved from other issues that would have been on advertisers' schedules in a better economy. "I don't know how much is coming from October," she said. "September's the issue everyone's got to be in."

Time Inc.'s Essence said it is estimating 105 ad pages in September, down 16.1% from last year. Its March issue was down 30%, according to Media Industry Newsletter. "We matched our expectations for this particular issue, given the current softness in the automotive category," said Michelle Ebanks, president of Essence Communications. "Also the timing of certain beauty campaigns has shifted to October, which is a factor in the difference year to year."

Retail, fashion and accessories advertisers such as Target, Walmart, Tacori, Rocawear and House of Dereon helped boost Essence ad pages in that category by almost 50%, to 16 pages in September 2009 from 11 a year earlier.

Vogue, whose September issue is now immortalized in a new documentary ("The September Issue") by R.J. Cutler, might not be getting the same relief as some others. Vogue declined to comment for this report, but recently told the New York Post that its September issue would top 400 ad pages. Landing at 400 exactly would mean a 41% decline from last September. Getting to 450, one rumor going around, would mean a 33% drop. March, by comparison, fell 25%. September comparisons at all Conde books, however, are going to be hurt by the absence of what had been an annual Fashion Rocks supplement, which provided 66 extra pages for Vogue last year.
Harper's Bazaar, the big fashion title at Hearst, will also probably see a bigger drop in September than it did in March, when its ad pages arrived just 15% shy of their mark a year earlier. The September issue looks likely to run between 275 and 285 ad pages in the crucial September issue, the magazine said, which would represent a decline between 26% and 23%.

Cautious clients
"Even in this economy, we made a strategic decision to hold our rates," said Valerie Salembier, senior VP-publisher at Harper's Bazaar. "Like all marketers today, our clients are more cautious than they have been in years past, and we will feel the effect of that in our September issue, as will our competitors. But, that said, I have been through this before and there will be a recovery, so right now, we are doing everything we can to support our advertisers and address their needs."

Harper's Bazaar plans to publish its special 13th issue, Runway Report, again this year, timed to hit newsstands just as the fall clothes featured in it hit stores in mid-August. "Now more than ever our clients are looking to us to drive traffic into their stores, and we know women shop our pages at all price points," she said.

This year won't see September issues for shut-down titles such as Men's Vogue, Best Life and CosmoGirl. But there are already newcomers trying to get a piece of what remains a desirable time to advertise. The New York Post's Page Six Magazine hasn't appeared since Feb. 15, its last issue as a weekly, but will begin a new quarterly schedule starting with September, timed to coincide with Fashion Week.

People Style Watch, the People spinoff that only achieved 10-times-a-year frequency in 2007, is publishing its first perfect-bound issue for September. Coming from a relatively small base last September, when it ran 73 ad pages according to the Media Industry Newsletter, its September issue will probably run 10% more ad pages this time around. "It will be our biggest issue ever," said Michelle Myers, publisher. "We've been able to maintain our momentum and secured several new advertisers who will be running with us for the first time."

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=137998

ps:sorry i tried to disable the link, but it doesnt work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Management Changes at Interview Magazine
By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
Published: July 19, 2009

Interview magazine has a new president and a new editor in chief, it will announce this week, searching for stability after a year and a half of turnover and power struggles.

Brant Publications named Evanly Schindler, founder of the magazine BlackBook, president, and promoted Stephen Mooallem, an editor at Interview for six years, to editor in chief. Also, Karl Templer, who left the magazine this year, is returning to his former post, creative director.

Mr. Mooallem and Mr. Templer will report to Fabien Baron, the editorial director who recently returned to Interview, which had monthly circulation last year of 223,000. Mr. Schindler said he would continue as an owner and editor in chief of Tar, a twice-yearly arts magazine.

Founded 40 years ago by Andy Warhol, Interview, with its striking visual style and a focus on fashion, film and the arts, has influenced the look and content of many other magazines, despite lacking a mass audience. Lately, with the turmoil in its ranks, staff cuts and reports that it is losing money, news media critics have raised questions about its survival.

“That’s the job of the new team, to make it again both artistically and financially successful,” Mr. Schindler said in an interview. “The commercial realities right now are probably more severe than they’ve ever been.”

Mr. Mooallem said his goal was to update Mr. Warhol’s themes for an era of social networking and viral communication. “A lot of those ideas about what images mean and what celebrities mean and what fame is, in a weird way the world has come around to Warhol’s ideas,” he said.

Sandra J. and Peter M. Brant bought Interview in 1989 from Mr. Warhol’s estate, and for years Ms. Brant and Ingrid Sischy, the top editor, ran the magazine. The Brants later divorced, and Mr. Brant bought out his ex-wife’s interest in January 2008. She and Ms. Sischy left the magazine.

Two former Interview staff members, Mr. Baron and Glenn O’Brien returned as editorial directors, and Christopher Bollen became editor in chief. But Mr. Baron and Mr. Templer left a year later.

The Brants’ son, Ryan, took over management of the magazine, Mr. O’Brien was forced out, and then Mr. Baron returned as sole editorial director. With Mr. Mooallem taking his place as editor in chief, Mr. Bollen will become editor at large.
nytimes.com

Conde Nast September Monthlies lose 1,680 Ad Pages.
By John Koblin

The September ad page numbers are out for Conde Nast, and they are grim.The monthly magazines at the company, as a whole, are down 37 percent.Vogue tumbled to 427 pages total, down 36 percent from last September. W is down 53 percent; Allure and Gourmet are down 51 percent; and Self is down 50 percent. Vanity Fair came in just above average for the company, dropping 36 percent.

The numbers are skewed since Fashion Rocks, the supplement that the majority of the monthly magazines used to pad their ad page totals last year, suspended publication last year.So going into September, publishers at the majority of Conde Nast's 18 magazines knew they’d be fighting an uphill battle without the extra push from Fashion Rocks. Allure, for instance, which dropped from 243 total pages last year to 117 pages this year, had 163 ad pages for September 2008 excluding the Fashion Rocks supplement—when you factor out Fashion Rocks, that’s a loss of 27 percent. But with the loss of Fashion Rocks, 80 additional pages flew out the window, and Allure plummeted 51 percent.
When the Publishers Information Bureau gets its hands on the total numbers, this is what the percentages will look like:

Allure: down 51 percent
Arch Digest: down 44 percent
Bon Appetit: down 40 percent
Bride’s (Sept/Oct:( down 19 percent
Traveler: down 44 percent
Cookie: down 19 percent
Details: down 34 percent
Glamour: down 41 percent
Golf Digest: up 0.2 percent
Gourmet: down 51 percent
GQ: down 31 percent
Lucky: down 36 percent
Self: down 50 percent
Teen Vogue: down 31 percent
Vanity Fair: down 36 percent
Vogue: down 36 percent
W: down 53 percent
Wired: down 41 percent
(Bon Ap, Bride’s, Cookie, Golf Digest and Gourmet didn’t have the Fashion Rocks supplement).
Observer.com

.observer.com/2009/media/conde-nast-september-monthlies-lose-1680-ad-pages

There is more drama at Interview than there is on Gossip Girl.

I like Tar though, so I'm curious and excited to see what Schindler will bring to the table.

Thanks for posting the figures Miss Dalloway. When you factor out the Fashion Rocks supplement the decline is not that bad, which is kinda a relief.

source | wwd.com

September Issues See Steep Ad Declines, Worse Ahead.

September fashion magazines will drop with a whisper instead of a thud this year.

But while the traditionally ad-rich September issues will be thinner than in the past — with some titles losing more than half their ad pages — they’ll still remain healthier than those in the final three months of 2009. Media insiders predict business this fall will be brutal, with luxury and fashion advertisers still skittish about an economic turnaround and not much of a recovery foreseen until mid-2010.

“Ads will decrease only because most marketers are panicked right now,” said David Lipman, chief of the agency bearing his name.

Though numbers for the September issues trickled in over the last week, results from Condé Nast on Tuesday reflected how sharply the economic crunch has bitten into the fashion and luxury magazine category. In addition to facing the same economic pressures as the rest of the media world, the company’s magazines got pinched by the lack of ad pages generated by the annual Fashion Rocks supplement, which was canceled this year.

Comparing September issues to those a year ago, excluding Fashion Rocks pages, Condé’s titles posted ad page declines from 17 percent at Teen Vogue to 25 percent at Glamour to 47 percent at W. But including Fashion Rocks, the declines are steeper, ranging from 20 to over 50 percent.

And Condé Nast’s titles aren’t alone in seeing sharp declines. Harper’s Bazaar will report a 26 percent drop in ad pages, with 276 pages. Esquire was off 18 percent, carrying 90 pages for the month. (Hearst’s corporate program, 30 Days of Fashion, which traditionally has run in the company’s September issues, is scheduled to run with select Hearst titles later in the fall.) Hearst executives declined comment Tuesday on the September numbers.

And while Elle carried more pages than Vogue through August, the Hachette Filipacchi Media title saw ad pages decline 21 percent in September, to 327.

Of the major fashion titles, only In Style was able to add pages this September. The Time Inc. title will carry 340 ad pages in that issue, six more than last September. Publisher Connie Anne Phillips said In Style’s strong newsstand performance and its accessible and aspirational editorial position are selling points, but it also launched a new multiplatform program for September, Fifteen for Fall, which integrated 28 advertisers in a variety of print, mobile and retail variations, helping the magazine to retain — and in some cases, expand — business from Yves Saint Laurent, Chloé, Jimmy Choo, Smashbox, Natori and Elizabeth Arden. Despite September’s gains, said Phillips, “the fourth quarter is going to be challenging for everybody.”

It’s no surprise this year’s September ad pages would be significantly less than last year’s. Retail sales are on the wane everywhere from Neiman Marcus to Costco. Sales of luxury goods are predicted to fall 15 percent this year, according to estimates from consulting firm Bain & Co. Back-to-school spending is expected to decline 8 percent this fall, to $47.5 billion, according to the National Retail Federation. Tom Florio, senior vice president and publishing director of Vogue, summed up the situation during a recent presentation to Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism students: “The problem with magazines is that the businesses magazines do business with are not doing as much business.”

“Our books are down in the entire set, not because there’s a problem with print, but our clients’ businesses are impacted by the recession and by the lack of traffic at retail,” said Condé Nast Media Group senior vice president Lou Cona, who dismissed the impact Fashion Rocks had on Condé’s business.

During the first half of the year, retail reined in spending in print by 29 percent and apparel by 26 percent, according to Publishers Information Bureau; the two categories sitting just behind the automotive and financial services industries as publishing’s worst-performing sectors.

Indeed, fashion and luxury brands have sought out advertising online because it’s cheap, flexible and measurable. ZenithOptimedia predicts Internet ad spending will increase 10 percent globally in 2009, while magazine spending will fall 16.7 percent.

“There’s no doubt that there are zillions of eyeballs online,” Lipman added, but he also said marketers have to balance old and new media to be most effective. “If you think you don’t need traditional media, you’re going to fail. But you also need how to get to consumers through social media, networking, blogging, tweeting.”

Many publishers were hopeful the second half of 2009 would improve over the first half, when luxury advertisers held back their ad dollars waiting for a recovery to begin.

For September, publishers pulled out whatever incentives, discounts, retail programs or other techniques to try and increase their businesses, even extending their sales deadlines by weeks to snag last-minute placements and pushing October and November business into September to bulk up that issue.

Some saw brands come back to the September issues after sitting out March, traditionally the second largest of the year. Elle’s 21 percent decline in September was an improvement from the 25 percent drop in the first quarter and 22 percent it lost in the second.

“[Some] advertisers we missed in March that would have run a unit or significant pages then are back [in September],” said Elle associate publisher Anne Welch, who named Blumarine, Valentino, Jean Paul Gaultier as examples. For instance, the magazine’s European fashion ad pages shrank by 25 percent in March, but September’s issue will reflect a 15 percent dip from those advertisers.

But October, November and December’s issues are expected to see even steeper ad page declines than those seen in September. “One of my worries is that if I have advertisers on the fence for September, I know that I will have some issues going into October,” said Welch.

With a recovery not predicted until mid-2010 at the earliest, worries over the second half have already reverberated throughout the industry. Almost every media company has closed titles, scaled back staff and trimmed whatever costs they can. On Monday, Condé Nast chief executive officer Charles Townsend detailed in a memo to staffers that the company had hired McKinsey & Co. to develop new business strategies. “We are not immune to the effects of the substantial revenue losses resulting from the deep and prolonged recession,” he wrote.

And aside from the losses on the advertising side, some argue the loss of excitement from marketers this September runs even deeper.

“The markets downsized, the spending downsized and for a publication like Vogue, that multiplies out,” said Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst of The NPD Group. “For every dollar that a retailer doesn’t spend, that affects the magazine three times as much. They lose the retail dollar, the brand dollar and the counter [newsstand] dollar.”

It's really depressing reading this article -_-. Thank you MissMagAddict.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->