The Business of Magazines #4

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by tFS Thread Manager, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Harper’s Bazaar Arabia Taps New Editor in Chief

A former designer and stylist is taking up the top spot at one of the only U.S. fashion titles in the Arab region.

By Kali Hays on March 19, 2019

Harper’s Bazaar Arabia is bringing in a new lead editor with a design-laden background.

Salma Awwad will next week take up the role of editor in chief of the fashion magazine, one of the only U.S. fashion titles in the region. She succeeds U.K.-born Louise Nichol, who spent about nine years at the title and ended her tenure with the March issue. Before that, the title was led by founding editor Rachel Sharp, who is Australian.

So it appears that Awwad is the first native of the region to lead the magazine in its nearly 12 years of existence, having been born in Kuwait to Egyptian parents who raised her in several places across the Middle East. She received her education in North America, and eventually went to The New School’s Parsons School of Design.

Before veering into media, Awwad had a stint in beauty marketing for L’Oréal and Narciso Rodriguez in the Middle East and worked for a few years in New York as a women’s wear designer for Giorgio Armani and Ralph Lauren. Then came a few years as a fashion editor and stylist with ITP Media Group, a Dubai-based media company, which Hearst works with to publish its handful of Middle East editions, including Stylist magazine and Arabian Business, and the Condé Nast brands publishing in the region. For the last three years, Awwad was head of design and strategy at Sawwad Fashion, a fashion label and consultancy she founded.

With all of this work in fashion in North America and Arab states in the Middle East, Awwad is eager to bring her experiences to the pages of Bazaar Arabia. The magazine prints 11 issues a year, but has a number of subbrands as well, like the biannual Bazaar Bride and Bazaar Junior, and the quarterly Bazaar Interiors and Bazaar Art.

“Taking the helm of the Middle East edition of one of the world’s most prestigious fashion brands is an enormous privilege,” Awwad said. “Having lived and worked in the industry across the USA, Canada and the [Gulf Cooperation Council], I have witnessed firsthand how Arab women are now leading the way when it comes to innovation, style and self-expression.”

She added that her focus as editor will be “championing their stories, visions and aspirations.”

WWD.com

2. magsaddict

magsaddict Active Member

Happy that Kirstie is back at HB australia. Always seemed a bit cruel how she was ousted so publicly from Vogue, and to her credit has maintained her grace and held her head up and done other ventures, including writing for online and starting a high end lingerie business. So to see now she's made a comeback at a fashion magazine, i'm sure is pretty satisfying.

tigerrouge and Bertrando3 like this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

True, they're always asking her for soundbites about Edwina and the current Vogue, but she keeps it to herself. Unlike Kellie and that odd feud she's got going with Thelma McQuillan. Kellie keeps it classy in front of everyone but she's got much to say behind the curtains.

4. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Whispers of changes at UK Elle?

tigerrouge and vogue28 like this.
  5. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

^Anne-Marie Curtis is leaving British Elle, the June issue being her last:

Benn98 likes this.
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Blimey, so soon! While I won't shed any tears over her departure, I must say she really started off with a bang. She almost instantly erased Lorraine's tenure from my memory with a redesign that was so memorable that many Elle editions across the globe are still adapting it, she's managed to not only keep the sales steady but also increase it, she really fine-tuned Elle's fashion aesthetic. No surprise, since she's a stylist, therefore, her vision was always going to be defined. I've never really liked the fashion myself, but at the very least it was cohesive, consistent and developed and she always supported young photographers. I still feel that she should never have taken the job because it may have been too consuming. I don't recall a memorable written feature under her reign, the redesign quickly shifted to something new and then back and then new again, and I think she could have done more in terms of PR for the magazine and definitely support more up-and-coming British designers beyond just showing their wares. Events, initiatives, really pushing the magazine more onto the forefront of readers. The job of an EIC changed drastically over the years, especially for a magazine like Elle which is as much a women's interest title as it is a fashion one. It does not only involve running your little magazine or getting the best exclusive or images. Robbie Myers and Edwina McCann started Women in Code initiatives, Justine almost regularly pairs Harper's with art museum exhibitions and the like. You're trying to spin a world for your women beyond just fashion, yet still feeding on fashion, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I do wish her all of the best, and very much appreciate what she's done for the magazine over this short tenure.

Correction: I do recall in the current issue, or the previous one, there was a set of images taken at a Women's Trust Awards, presumably spearheaded by Elle. I know for a fact this started late 2018.

crmsnsnwflks and KateIsGr8 like this.
  7. Rigida

Rigida Well-Known Member

Oh no, I love Anne-Marie's ELLE more than Lorraine's.

8. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Was she fired?
    Why she’s leaving?

9. MON

MON Well-Known Member

She had a vision, and should’ve just stuck with it.

crmsnsnwflks and vogue28 like this.
  10. caioherrero

I’m curious about what happened

11. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Rumours that Cosmopolitan UK editor, Farrah Storr will oversee both titles. Elle UK is also going back to 360 degree working.

It is almost two years to the day since AMC got made Editor in Chief.

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

:shock::shock::shock:

Huh, how???

13. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Wow, so in a year Elle UK will be a lovely little blog. Publishing ‘special’ and ‘collectible’ issues bi-annually.

slayage, Benn98 and tigerrouge like this.
  14. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I mean, the nerve to accept another magazine when you can’t even properly manage one? Cosmo UK has been in bad form for years.

15. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

This.

I was so incredibly thrilled when Anne-Marie Curtis became Elle’s EIC, since she and a real loving relationship with the magazine and magazines in general. The first covers for September with Cara Delevingne were fantastic. The bold, modern and sleek redesign was a total breath of fresh air. I become an avid reader once again but the redesign began to fade away and I lost all interest. Back to square one because someone wasn’t fussed about pushing through.

I cannot understand as to why AMC would leave a job she seemed thrilled to have, and just do not know as to who might replace her. Lucy Yeomans is intending to do her own fashion and tech venture, right?

16. caioherrero

AMC was fired or she’s going to Porter?

17. caioherrero

Elle UK is also going back to 360 degree working.

What does it means?

18. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Incorporating the print and online team.

19. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

https://nypost.com/2019/03/21/embattled-vanity-fair-editor-radhika-jones-gets-a-beto-bump/

Benn98 likes this.
  20. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Well that’s unfortunate.

So are we expecting a sudden influx of politicians on the covers? Highly likely.

If I were Radhika, I’d play it (elections) to my strengths.