The Business of Magazines #4

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Thread Manager, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Ben Cobb Is Leaving Another Man

He became editor in chief of the British men's fashion magazine in 2015.

By Kathryn Hopkins on October 17, 2019

[​IMG]
    Ben Cobb joined Another Man 10 years ago.

Pixelformula/SIPA/Shutterstock

It’s time for Ben Cobb, almost as famous for his Seventies-style moustache as he is for his fashion magazine editing abilities, to move on to new pastures — but he’s not yet ready to reveal where they may be.

Cobb has decided to leave biannual British men’s fashion magazine Another Man, which he joined as editor 10 years ago, later becoming editor in chief in 2015.

“I’ve been at Another Man for 10 years this month, and a decade is a milestone. I’ve had an incredible experience at Another Man and I’m immensely proud of what I’ve achieved there creatively and commercially. I’m leaving the magazine in the best shape in its history so it just feels like the right moment,” he told WWD. “It’s always good to leave on a high.”

Under Cobb’s watch, the likes of Harry Styles, David Beckham and Keith Richards all appeared on Another Man’s covers, while it scored exclusive interviews with Alex Turner, David Lynch and John Galliano and launched special projects with Nick Cave, The Rolling Stones and NASA.

Cobb was also instrumental in Another Man’s online debut in 2017, which features, among other content, men’s wear show coverage.

“I’m very proud of every issue we’ve put out,” added Cobb, who sneaked out of a dinner in London to chat. “There have been huge moments like the Harry Style issues which were three huge cover stories with him, and curating the whole document was a major moment. I’m also proud of us launching the web site two years ago, but I think more than anything I’m very proud of our singular vision and how we always stayed true to that.”

As for what’s next, Cobb declined to reveal if he had anything lined up, although he confirmed that he wouldn’t be going directly to another magazine and gave a teaser of what could be in the cards.

“I think it’s a very special time in the industry right now. The landscape is changing and things are shifting a lot. It’s no longer so linear and I’m excited to explore this new era,” he said.

“Over the last few years I’ve been involved in some amazing projects beyond the magazine, from consulting with fashion houses to curating content with filmmakers and recently I had a lot of fun hosting a chat show with Love magazine,” he said. “I’m interested in developing all these different forms of storytelling. I’m curious where they all might lead. That’s really all I can say at this stage. I’m not in a rush to jump in anything. Really what I want to do is explore how all these different elements can come together.”

In a statement, Jefferson Hack, chief executive officer and cofounder of Dazed Media, the publisher of Another Man, thanked Cobb for his “outstanding contribution” to the magazine. “He has been an incredible leader, collaborator and colleague and we will miss his unique presence. We wish him all the best for his next adventure,” Hack said.

This was not the only news to come out of Dazed on Thursday. Emma Wyman was named fashion director at Dazed magazine, commencing with the spring 2020 issue. Wyman was previously senior fashion editor.

WWD

2. marsnoop2

marsnoop2 Well-Known Member

Vogue Taiwan is relaunching in March 2020 under new EIC Leslie Sun

Benn98 likes this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Finally, and thanks for this! Just the other day while going through the magazine I was wondering how cool it would be if they relaunched. That magazine is so dated, even next to the rest of the Taiwanese editions.

4. blusheels

blusheels Active Member

Emma Wyman has been promoted from Senior Fashion Editor to Fashion Director of Dazed.

SophiaVB likes this.
  5. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

6. MissMagAddict

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

source | system #13 | mydigitalcopy

tigerrouge likes this.
  7. MissMagAddict

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    source | system #13 | mydigitalcopy

ellastica and tigerrouge like this.
  8. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

looooooool SO FUNNY I mean OMG lol... These people truly live in a bubble ! SO so sooo many fashion magazines have closed over the years and all these magazine editors think naively that the paper edition will have a bright future and that magazines will flourish again. What a desillusion?!

Men´s Vogue
    Vogue Men China
    Vogue Hommes Japan
    L´Uomo Vogue
    Elle Brazil
    Teen Vogue
    Glamour
    Marie Claire UK
    Cosmopolitan Australia
    Elle Men Belgium
    Lucky
    Details
    Harper´s Bazaar Chile
    and so on !!!

I mean hasn´t this list been seen already by these editors??? Or are they too busy taking a photo of themselves for their Instagram feed? Geez... Sooooo many magazines have closed over the years:

- many either closed
    - or went on to be a digital magazine
    - or closed and opened again
    - or decreased their publishing yearly issues and so on.

But ultimately print magazines (and it pains me to say it since i was a HUGE subscriber and magazines reader) will not exist in a distant or close future. Everybody is addicted to their phones or tablets, young people of the Z generation don´t buy magazines, men don´t buy as many newspapers as they used to (so let´s not talk about fashion mags) and women like men who read magazines have free access online or digital subscriptions. I stopped buying magazines and I am sure in the future very VERY FEW will survive in print.

9. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

When digital titles flounder and fail, no-one even notices.

Going online is no guarantee of any sort of future, and a lot of momentarily popular sites have already taken their place in the listings of the Wayback Machine, a remembrance wall for cremated online content.

Meanwhile, there are currently more print editions of Vogue and Bazaar available than I can ever remember in my three decades of buying magazines.

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  10. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

and Elle also...Also the amount of bianual magazines is increasing too, specially in Europe....Maybe in America the impact is bigger bc of it's more comercial and business driven market...

I think people are more conscious what to buy in print...that's why it decreased the number...also it's very difficult to buy something in print when comercial magazines shares all their "exclusive" content online in order to motivate people to buy...that's a bad strategy, people (the mass) not gonna buy a magazine just because their fave celebrity is on the cover, maybe only die-hard fans....

Overall, magazines are still figuring out what people want from them...only digital versions is not the answer for sure...

11. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

After the Fall of the Glossy Magazine, What’s Left of Condé Nast?

Really good long read on CN with interviews from all the major players.

Some excerpts I found interesting:

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, Axiomatic! Was definitely worth the read, and so much suddenly makes a lot of sense. Namely, Radhika being nudged to go less sociopolitical and more fashion-forward, or the absence of hard-hitting journalism exposé in GQ over the past few months.
    Still surprised that Anna is not being pushed more on the failure of Self/Glamour etc, but I suppose because they are still online it's fine?

Seems this Lynch guy, who sounded very whingey a few days ago when he complained about Facebook, is their last hope.

And on a lighter note, his 'glow-up' is indeed comical. LOL:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Billboard/Twitter

13. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Boy, that is one juicy article. Definitely worth the read. Really puts a spotlight on CN' woes.

Anna snitching on the VF editor, the snack wars, the "we are creatives, not 2nd class citizens" post-it, the Old Town Road lady bits took me out lol

14. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

According to Justine Picardie on Instagram, Lydia Slater is to becoming the acting editor of British Harper’s Bazaar until they find a permanent replacement.

Benn98 likes this.
  15. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Elle Germany currently getting dragged on Instagram by Diet Prada:

Adut Akech also highlighting this exploit with regards to German Elle’s EIC:

16. slayage

slayage Active Member

That’s exactly what happens when you hardly have any people of color involved in the process of creating the issues of magazines.

17. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Apparently they are deleting comments in their "apology".

18. MON

MON Well-Known Member

She'll obviously get sacked because of this. Any decent human being would resign though.

19. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Oh my, that really is scandalous. She's been in Elle for years. Yeah, I guess she will resign (or be forced to).

20. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Actually, not only is a problem because there is no diversity on staff, if the boss it's like that and shows no respect for a different race, what can you expect of the contents...They should be empathic socially and that's a problem of racism and that starts in home.