The Business of Magazines

^Nah, the translation was right. Thanks for the link to the original article though :smile:

I do agree, the more of her latest interviews i read, the more ridiculous she sounds, some of those remarks are just....... :doh:

Didn't know where to put it but Groupon is offering $8 1 year subscription for US Vogue. Offer good through the weekend.

Editor of UK Harper's Bazaar tweeted:

Liya [Kebede] was actually our best selling issue of all time, followed closely by Beyonce!

twitter/lucybazaar

Wow very interesting, pretty surprised about Liya being the best seller, if true they should be doing more model covers then! Thanks for posting.

Glad to hear that. Liya is stunning but I would never expect her to be the best seller for Bazaar UK.

It's great to know that at least in the UK, covers with black cover models/singers actually DO sell.B)

OMG OMG OMG, I just read in a Dutch newspaper that they are planning on publishing a Dutch Vogue in the near future. I've always wondered if the Dutch market was relevant enough to have it's own Vogue but right now I'm just very excited!

^ How exciting! I hope this happens. Lara shall be on the first cover, of course. :lol:

^ Together with Doutzen I guess, or they will go for a foldout cover with group shot.

Hamish Bowles on Vogue’s New Website

Vogue is starting some kind of archival website. What is that about?

Yeah, we're putting the history of Vogue online, so you can flit to a March 15, 1927, issue and go through it. And there's going to be a kind of fashion encyclopedia component, too. It's the histories of all the designers and all the contributors and figures that Vogue has celebrated and embraced through the century.

Are you working on it yourself?

I'm not working on it, but I'm absolutely dying for it because, I mean, luckily I have the Vogue archive just several floors below my office, so I consult it all the time. But it would be incredibly useful to be able to consult it with search engines and find that elusive, you know, 1937 Lanvin I think I just bought in a flea market, for instance. So I'm very excited about that.

nymag

^Wow, again...I just wonder how excited people there are about everyone having access to it?

Have I become too cynical? :lol: Sorry, but it's sort of shocking that they wouldn't keep a database for themselves...

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, if they charge for access, that's like being able to resell every single issue of Vogue all over again...

That said, if they charge for access, that's like being able to resell every single issue of Vogue all over again...

That's very true. I wonder how they're going to prevent people from screen capping and spreading it though? On the other hand, it is awfully convenient as a resource that you pay like $10 a month for. Lots of people would do that and not even care about downloading it if it wasn't super easy. Yeah, they could easily make $1-10M/year on that, not counting the ads.

I really don't expect them to give out their entire archive to the public for free, so I'll just settle with a reasonable monthly fee for access in the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it's free or access through your magazine subscription.

Sorry, but it's sort of shocking that they wouldn't keep a database for themselves...

Well I'm sure in the past decade or two there is a database for those issues, but I am not surprised that the really old issues, which are the ones he mentions, are not in a digital database. They have hard copies of those old issues in an archive in the building, but not a digital database.... yet.

^Wow, again...I just wonder how excited people there are about everyone having access to it?

Have I become too cynical? :lol: Sorry, but it's sort of shocking that they wouldn't keep a database for themselves...
It truly is surprising they would do this, even if there is a fee to pay for access!

I, of course am getting an orgasm with just the thought of it! Imagine being able to access all those issues? :bounce:

Ad Pages Drop in Third Quarter

When second-quarter ad page figures were released earlier this year, magazine publishers breathed a small sigh of relief. After five straight quarters of industrywide improvement, it seemed publishers were slowly getting their groove back.

Not so fast.

Third-quarter figures released Monday show that ad paging took a turn for the worse, falling almost 6 percent compared to the prior year, according to Publishers Information Bureau.

Only a handful of fashion titles bucked the trend, with People StyleWatch up 48 percent to 331 pages. The dramatic increase can be tied to its July issue, a first for the magazine. Marie Claire posted a 10 percent boost, to 350 pages. Vogue and W also had some success, up almost 4 percent apiece, with 766 pages and 335 pages, respectively.

For the rest of the pack, it seems those typically bigger-than-normal September issues weren’t enough to salvage the quarter. Glamour, which reported that its September issue was the most profitable in its history, fell almost 13 percent to 384 pages and fellow Condé Nast title Allure wasn’t far behind, down 9.7 percent to 233 pages. Elle’s paging fell 8.5 percent to 556 and InStyle was down 5.2 percent to 656. Lucky’s paging continued to slide, down 4.5 percent to 294, and Harper’s Bazaar rounded out the pack, falling 4.1 percent to 387 pages.

Meanwhile, in the weekly division, one clear winner emerged: Bloomberg Businessweek, which reported a 39 percent rise in paging to 340. The New Yorker’s ad pages increased 4 percent to 252. Tina Brown’s Newsweek fell 10 percent to 181 pages, while Time’s ad pages declined 4 percent to 288.

wwd.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->