The Business of Magazines

Info on Rankin's magazine, The Hunger.

Rankin's doing a 500-page biannual magazine. Kelis, Sky Ferreira, Milla Jovovich, Erin O’Connor & Heidi Klum in the 1st issue. Out Nov. 17.

twitter.com/#!/HannahElliott (Lifestyle Reporter at Forbes.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogue, Bon Appétit, Traveler to Be on iPad

Just in time for the release of Apple’s Newsstand section for iOS 5, Condé Nast revealed plans to launch Vogue, Bon Appétit and Condé Nast Traveler. “If you were in the mood to browse the app store for a magazine, it was impossible to do before,” said Monica Ray, executive vice president of consumer marketing. “Now there is a dedicated aisle and everyone knows where to go.” With Newsstand, Apple will continue to handle the transaction and the revenue share will stay the same, with about 70 percent going to Condé Nast and 30 percent to Apple. She declined to predict how much the subscription business could grow now that Newsstand has launched. “We have great hopes it will be a very robust business.” Vogue, Bon Appétit and Condé Nast Traveler will launch sometime before early 2012.

wwd.com

Picture-24.png

Condé Nast launches new magazine about Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan hardly seems an obvious source of inspiration for a glossy magazine. For one thing, the country conjures up irrepressible images of Sacha Baron Cohen's character Borat (who is in fact from nearby Kazakhstan), not least because in Cohen's film it is the Azerbaijani president, Ilham Aliyeva, who appears in the credits as a stand-in for the real president of Kazakhstan.

Fittingly, it is Aliyeva's daughter who sits at the helm of a lifestyle magazine launched this week by Condé Nast, publisher of industry bigwigs such as Vogue , Tatler and Vanity Fair . Leyla Aliyeva's title Baku , named after the capital city of Azerbaijan, will showcase contemporary art, culture and fashion with an Azeri edge.

Baku has existed in a Russian-language edition since 2007, but from this week the quarterly will be published internationally in English. The launch is set to coincide with what editor-in-chief Aliyeva terms "an unprecedented period of revival" for the eagle-shaped territory tucked between the hulking landmasses of Russia, Turkey and Iran.

Indeed, if an interview with Tom Ford is anything to go by, Azerbaijan is on the up. Ford's menswear collection has been selling extremely well in Azerbaijan, prompting him to open a womenswear flagship in the capital city this autumn. He's quietly confident that his unashamedly indulgent designs will find favour in the Dubai of the Caspian region: "the Azerbaijani people have a vibrant cultural heritage and deep appreciation of luxury."

Editorial highlights from the magazine include a rather bizarre interview with Gérard Depardieu (who muses that "the percentage of the cabernet sauvignon grape in Azerbaijani wine could be reduced"); a balmy shoot by Vogue favourite Tom Craig shot against a Baku cityscape; and a feature on LA street artist Mr Brainwash, who claims to be the new Marcel Duchamp.

Azerbaijan's final caveat, however, has been overlooked by Baku: the Eurovision Song Contest will be held there next year. It could just be time to follow in the footsteps of Ford and jump on the Baku bandwagon.
telegraph

Interview by Alena Doletskaya will be released in late November

November 25, 2011 will be start of the European invasion of the cult magazine Interview, which is headed by Alain Doletskaya. On this day in Russia will be released the first issue of Interview. Following the Russian, in early 2012, and will issue Interview Germany, whose editor is also Alain Doletskaya.

glossy.ru

^Me too...France or maybe Italy would have been more obvious choices but since Doletskaya will be the EIC I have no doubt they will be amazing.

teamkristensite.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Screenshot2011-10-13at81153PM.png
    Screenshot2011-10-13at81153PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 7
Allure to Launch in Russia

Condé Nast International plans to launch Allure magazine in Russia in September, the publisher said today. The editor will be Ksenia Solomatina, who was most recently beauty director of Russian Tatler.
“The Russian market continues to expand, and Condé Nast has established itself as the leading upmarket media company,” stated Jonathan Newhouse, chairman of Condé Nast International. “The launch of Allure will build on that success.”
Allure, focused on beauty coverage, will be the eighth title to be published by Condé Nast Russia. The stable includes Vogue, Glamour, GQ, GQ Style, AD, Tatler, and Condé Nast Traveller.
Allure, which has a circulation of 1.1 million, was launched in the U.S. in 1991. A Korean edition of the title launched in 2003.

wwd.com

ms11-cover-comunicazione-4col-77992-0x745-575079_0x440.jpg

Condé Nast Italy Unveils Myself Magazine

Condé Nast Italy has unveiled a new monthly magazine, named Myself, to bow in November. The cover-star on the first edition is Julia Roberts, interviewed for her 44th birthday. According to editor in chief Valeria Corbetta, Myself targets “multitasking” women ages 35 to 55 who juggle working, family life and socializing.

There’s already a version in Germany, which launched five years ago. The Italian launch was preceded by market research conducted by GfK Eurisko that estimated potential readership of 4 million. There also is a Web site.

“The collected data confirmed once more there was a need for these women to recognize themselves in a magazine closer to their interests and passions,” Corbetta said. “Myself is a brand-new magazine which combines high-quality content with interesting aesthetics, conceived for today’s woman, within a ‘democratic’ approach.”

vogue.it
wwd.com

Whenever I see Julia Roberts, I expect bats to come flying out of her mouth.

this shot doesn't make her justice but she's a great actress and a very pretty one too

A NEW HARPER’S LOOK BY SPRING: After a decade as editor in chief of Harper’s Bazaar, Glenda Bailey is plotting big changes for the magazine and WWD has learned she’s hired Robin Derrick of Spring Studios to help her make them. Derrick, who was creative director of British Vogue for 10 years until last June, will also work with Bazaar’s creative director Stephen Gan on a revamp that will be revealed in the March issue. As WWD reported, the title is also planning to increase the trim size and upgrade its paper and cover stock, along with reducing frequency to 10 times a year.

“After 10 years, it’s time to refresh — Stephen and I are looking forward to evolving Bazaar’s design for the next decade and we are excited to be collaborating with Robin,” Bailey said.

A spokeswoman said Spring Studios has just been retained, so it’s too early to comment on pending changes.
wwd.com

Glenda should get Fabien Baron back if she wants to revamp US HB for a newer and fresher look. Of course I'm just kidding. :lol:^_^

Hopefully the official beginning of the end for Glenda.

“After 10 years, it’s time to refresh

No Girl! It should be "After 10 years, it`s time to RETIRE"

^ Hahah, but seriously this is exciting prospect for the book, it sure needs some change, and he just might bring it. At least Bailey, no matter how clueless she is, realizes there is a time for change!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"