The Business of Magazines

Fair point about Radhika, but she still had an impressive resume (managing editor at Time magazine and The Paris Review in addition to The NYT job). Who are the Black American Women with the relevant experience to be EIC of American Vogue? There's no way they haven't thought about this, that they don't have a plan in place. Vogue is the jewel in CN's cap. They could poach Samira back from HB after a couple of years. Who else? Elaine Welteroth? I think Amy or Edward.

There's still time. She's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Although if thats the case then it's Amy for me. In a sea of constant reshuffling, she's been saved a couple of times. That has to mean something. She's no Katie Grand.

Also she's been with Conde Nast for 27 years now and is one of the last few remaining original editors. Loyalty gets you far.

Fun fact, she's on her way to surpass Carine Roitfeld's tenure. If Alt remains at the helm by February 1, 2021, she's tied with Carine.

Hhhmm, unless of course a brand can sway her too with thirty pieces of silver, lol. Wishful thinking on my part, I know.

There's still time. She's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Although if thats the case then it's Amy for me. In a sea of constant reshuffling, she's been saved a couple of times. That has to mean something.

Her and Anna are clearly fairly close (comparatively), as she goes round to Anna's house and was at the Shaffer/Carrozzini wedding in Mastic. I'd say that means something.

I'm just getting to this. I don't see how this isn't Anna being fired in the best looking way possible?

What does this mean for eg, Dylan Jones at GQ UK ?

Well, I can tell you now, he won't like the idea of being topped by Mr Tye-Dye and his edgy art direction. I'm sure he expected to helm such a position, what with UK GQ's massive reach and advertising channels. And for once I'd be in agreement if that's the case.

I mean, US GQ didn't even print GQ Style this season.

Hhhmm, unless of course a brand can sway her too with thirty pieces of silver, lol. Wishful thinking on my part, I know.

Vogue might offer more stability but I wonder how she feels about reporting to Edward. Perhaps it will be more interesting to see her consult again.

I'm just getting to this. I don't see how this isn't Anna being fired in the best looking way possible?

Simply put, appointments to higher positions only to be fired eventually is not how CN operates. When its your time to go, its your time to go, and sometimes you're the last to know.

Diana Vreeland, Aliona Doletskaya, Victoria Davydova +++

Vogue might offer more stability but I wonder how she feels about reporting to Edward. Perhaps it will be more interesting to see her consult again.

I believe they're friends and actually get along very well, but of course ithey're 'fashion friends'....not the same as in the real world.

Simply put, appointments to higher positions only to be fired eventually is not how CN operates. When its your time to go, its your time to go, and sometimes you're the last to know.

They can't fire Anna Wintour without ruining Vogue in the process.

The fashion industry is still very embarrassing with their token black man a la Andre Leon Talley. And look how they threw him away. Edward that's your future.

I believe they're friends and actually get along very well, but of course ithey're 'fashion friends'....not the same as in the real world.

I vaguely remember another "fashion friend" who got ousted nearly a decade ago...

This might be an unpopular opinion, but in my opinion, the next US Vogue EIC will be a black/poc American woman, the first to lead the role after 120++ years of the magazine's existence. America is at the dawn of a women's revolution (rightfully so). In a period where "first woman to _____" is at its peak, there's no way the post will be given to a man.

Look no further, the media and the left are eating up every "first woman to" appointees of Biden and how Kamala Harris is the first woman Vice President.

PLUS the pro-American sentiment lingering since elections.
It is possible but I don’t see who is that person. Edward has to his advantage that he has created good relationships with designers and executives. He has raised his profile to royals and his approach to UK Vogue is very American (political and fashion).
Amy would be to obvious as she is similar to Anna. Vogue needs a household name to replace Anna.
Even if the magazine won’t change that much, Edward incarnate a drastic sign of change.

And in terms of strategy (in the corporate world), Anna has more interest in championing Edward than Amy nowadays.

This new decade is about her legacy. And by securing her legacy, she is protecting the Vogue brand.

It is possible but I don’t see who is that person. Edward has to his advantage that he has created good relationships with designers and executives. He has raised his profile to royals and his approach to UK Vogue is very American (political and fashion).
Amy would be to obvious as she is similar to Anna. Vogue needs a household name to replace Anna.
Even if the magazine won’t change that much, Edward incarnate a drastic sign of change.

And in terms of strategy (in the corporate world), Anna has more interest in championing Edward than Amy nowadays.

This new decade is about her legacy. And by securing her legacy, she is protecting the Vogue brand.
Right I don't think Vogue is mad at Anna they just need to shuffle her out in the best looking way possible now.

Though judging it on how America is changing and how left-leaning this magazine is, the writing is on the wall. America is at its peak of celebrating women and creating more opportunities for women - especially black and poc women.

Your points are valid, but seeing how America's socio-cultural norms are drastically changing, I don't think those points will be enough on its own.

And speaking of her legacy, don't you think the media will drag her for snubbing "countless talented and qualified women"?

It can be argued that Anna remaining in Vogue is ruining Vogue in itself. When Anna was called out early this year (during the uproar of the BLM movement) for her alleged practices in Vogue, it gave CN the perfect time to fire her without ruining Vogue. Heck they'd even be praised for it for "doing the right thing". However, they stuck with her and even gave her a promotion. That says a lot about this promotion.

Last edited:

The fashion industry is still very embarrassing with their token black man a la Andre Leon Talley. And look how they threw him away. Edward that's your future.

I mean Andre only have himself to blame for his own downfall. He thinks being bff with Anna gonna secure him a cheque until he die. Sorry his bubble busted, in this business it's everybody for themselves. You swim or you sink , simple as that. Edward know that, and he is clearly clever enough to not let that happen to him. Even if he did not have Vouge Us, he already on the good side with the suits so no matter what happen he already have backup plan in this mind.

Ps: low key want an Anna tell all book, she is the queen of shades after all.

Fair point about Radhika, but she still had an impressive resume (managing editor at Time magazine and The Paris Review in addition to The NYT job). Who are the Black American Women with the relevant experience to be EIC of American Vogue?

Agree about Radhika...there seems to be quite a gulf between what media types think of her and VF and how she/VF is thought of in this forum

Tbh I don't know if I want Edward supervising Vogue Paris which, to me, is the only Vogue that stands for fashion these days. If that's even in his new "powers".

Also why aren't the other Vogue europeans editions under his supervision like the dutch, portuguese, polish, greek and so on...
Are these too irrelevant to even have a say in them?

2021 is about to be exciting. I love musical chairs. Fashion media is the new Hunger Games.

GQ France is about to change (apparently), Emmanuelle Alt thinks her next move but we saw her playing friends friends with Edward since a while now. Just hoping he will say stop to her 80s obsession and will push her to inclusivity. This will make Alt pack her bag and go.

Besides that, well done Anna. I am still very admirative of her whole career. She manages to reach heights in fashion publishing or just publishing like no one before.

Also why aren't the other Vogue europeans editions under his supervision like the dutch, portuguese, polish, greek and so on...
Are these too irrelevant to even have a say in them?

@blusheels those are licencees, so they do whatever they want (in theory). CN just take their % .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->