The Business of Magazines

Source | WWD

Harper's Bazaar is trying to elbow into the feeding trough that is collections coverage. After WWD Collections and New York Look, now comes Bazaar's Runway Report, which debuts this summer and will cover the fall 2008 collections. The spin-off is based on a column of the same name that runs in the magazine in January and June. Runway Report will include a guide to the looks on the runways in New York, Paris, Milan and London. Kristina O'Neill, Bazaar's fashion news/features director, will edit the 200 page publication. Hearst will distribute 200,000 copies, with 100,000 sold on newsstands for $6.95 apiece (on sale July 29) and 100,000 being sent to subscribers with household income of over $100,000. The issue will be mailed in between the August and September issues.

BLEND magazine editor?

Does anyone know who is the editor of Blend magazine from the Netherlands? Or fashion editor? I love this magazine but can not find the information anywhere! Thanks! :smile:

just found this on forbes.com

Alexandra White
Fashion Director, W
Circulation: 469,958
W doesn't have the circulation of Vogue or Bazaar, but it is considered the most cutting-edge American fashion magazine. "They push the envelope far more than any other American magazine," Kennedy says. White, who had stints at both British and Italian Vogue, oversees all fashion shoots, and W tends to hire whatever great photographers aren't under contract to Vogue, such as Bruce Weber and Mario Sorrenti. Under her, photographer Steven Klein has done some of his most talked-about work: His spread with Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, just as Pitt divorced Jennifer Aniston, posing as a fertile 1960s husband and wife, caused Aniston to gripe that Pitt lacked a "sensitivity chip." W was the first magazine to put Kate Moss on its cover after her drug scandal. White's shoots can often be found on the drawing boards in designer showrooms--as inspirational material.

is the circulation number accurate?...:blink::blink::blink:

yes, kasper, i believe it is...
w doesn't sell nearly as many copies or have as many subscribers as vogue...
here are the numbers from condenast.com:

vogue
total average paid circulation: 1,301,575

w
total average paid circulation: 466,826

GQ Magazine coming to India
April 8th, 2008
http://business.techwhack.com/3625-gq-india

Conde Nast International has said in a statement that they are now going to bring their GQ men’s luxury magazine to India.
The magazine is expected to be launched here in India by the end of the current year.
GQ would join other international magazines which now have an Indian edition including Vogue.
Vogue India was launched in September last year.
Alex Kuruvilla, Managing Director, Conde Nast India spoke about the new developments: “There is a huge vacuum in the men’s luxury magazine space: we have been inundated by requests from advertisers and readers to launch GQ in India.”
Maxim, FHM and Men’s Health are other popular Men’s magazine available in the Indian market.

Does anyone have a contact info for someone at Russian Vogue? Have been trying to find forever and no luck! Driving me crazy. :wink:

When Does Vogue France Hit The Newstands?

I paid for a subscription to french vogue almost a month ago (15 March) and was told that my first issue would be the May edition (no. 887), does anyone have any idea when they start sending out the subscriptions (I'm in the UK) and when does it hit newstands in France/all over the world?

All answers will be greatly appreciated!

Italian Vogue Art director?

Hi,
Does anyone know who is the Art Director and or Creative Director of the Italian Vogue magazine?

Thank you!
Lele

cordeeelia: New VP issues come out after the 20th. Maybe around the 25th? So you'll have to wait a little :flower:

from fashionweekdaily...more news about interview magazine:

As expected, Stephanie Seymour Brant has joined the masthead at Interview. The statuesque supermodel and wife of Brant Publications chairman Peter Brant has been named a contributing fashion editor at the Andy Warhol-founded title, whose May issue marked the transition from former editor-in-chief Ingrid Sischy to editorial co-directors Fabien Baron and Glenn O'Brien. The masthead shuffle doesn't stop there, though.

For now, the majority of movement has been in the contributing editors section. Gary Indiana is back at the magazine in that capacity; joining him are Max Blagg and Davitt Sigerson, both of whom are new to Interview. Greil Marcus and Graham Fuller, former music writer at large and film writer at large, respectively, are now contributing editors. Marcus will no longer pen a monthly column.

In the fashion department, fashion director Annabel Tollman will leave the magazine later this summer. In lieu of a replacement, Baron will work with several people to fill Tollman's role, including Marie-Amélie Sauvé, currently editor at large at French Vogue and a consultant to Nicolas Ghesquière at Balenciaga. Those wondering about Karl Templer's masthead absence will have to wait until the August issue for the creative director's name to appear. Baron has also brought Tim McIntyre on board as acting art director with the possibility of staying on in a permanent capacity. In addition, Interview has a new comedy editor: David Steinberg, who has directed episodes of Seinfeld, Friends, and Mad About You.

source | fwd

More Masthead Moves at Elle

Kate Lanphear & Joann Pailey promoted to directors

Friday, April 25, 2008
(NEW YORK) Elle has initiated a series of rapid-fire changes to its masthead, most noticeably in the fashion department.
Kate Lanphear, senior style and market editor, has been promoted to style director, while Joann Pailey, formerly senior fashion market editor, is now market director. Two fashion assistants have also had their profiles raised. Malina V. Joseph has been named fashion bookings editor while Jade Frampton is now a market editor. Both Joseph and Frampton were assistants to former fashion director Nina Garcia. An Elle spokesperson said a replacement for Garcia's role is still TBD.
With the number of promotions comes a few departures. The Elle spokesperson confirmed that bookings editor Claudine Ingeneri and long-time deputy art director Florence Sicard have both left the magazine. No further details were provided. Meanwhile, at Elle Accessories, the bi-annual spin-off of Elle, Helane Crowell has left as the American market editor to join StyleCaster Media Group LLC, a hybrid Web-based company combining expert recommendations, top level editorial content, social networking, and e-commerce being formed in part by former Lucky market editor Meg Cuna.

From nymag.com/daily/fashion (The Cut)
Who's got the job a million girls would kill for? Claiborne Swanson, that's who! The little cherub has just been "promoted" from public-relations associate at Vogue to Anna Wintour's assistant. Even though our gut tells us we wouldn't last very long in that position, we've always wondered what that job is really like and envy that Clay (can we call her Clay? It's so much easier than Claiborne) gets to find out. Besides, it would be a real treat to scope out Anna's outfits up close and personal every single day. So who is Miss Clay, the person? According to SF Luxe, she was the buyer at Beau boutique in San Francisco. She pops up in New York Social Diary and Patrick McMullan — always in charming outfits, of course. But the coolest thing about Clay is she's a Swanson, as in Swanson TV dinners.
So good luck, girlfriend! Treat yourself to some spa time this weekend before the stress prematurely ages you.

Also The Daily Media at Fashion Week Daily:
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=549718

source | fwd

Nina Garcia & Harper's Bazaar
Former Elle fashion director spotted at Hearst Tower
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
(NEW YORK) Nina Garcia was spotted leaving the Hearst Tower on West 57th Street earlier this afternoon, conspicuously avoiding eye contact with passersby as she ducked into a cab headed home. This latest tidbit in the ongoing Garcia versus Elle saga only further fuels the rumor that her future at Hachette, where she was recently let go as fashion director following a 13-year tenure, might very well be short-lived. When reached for comment, Garcia, who is said to be in negotiations with Elle over a possible editor-at-large title (which would only keep her on through September), downplayed any speculation that she is mulling a possible position at Hearst, though she did admit, without giving any details, that she was doing some "freelance work." "I was in the Heart Tower's Café 57 perusing," she confirmed. "I was meeting with friends. It's an incredibly beautiful building."
Could Garcia be revisiting her relationship with Harper's Bazaar? Back in July 2005, Fashion Week Daily reported that Garcia was being aggressively courted by Glenda Bailey to replace outgoing fashion market director Amanda Ross. Garcia was said to have been offered a director's position at the title, but she ultimately stayed put. Garcia, who declined comment on this story in 2005, reiterated the same sentiment when reached by phone today. A Bazaar rep did not return a call seeking comment.

^Fascinating sighting...hope something manifests from the rumor.

Top Australian Magazines?

Hi all,I was wondering if someone can help me with a list of the top lifestyle, fashion and travel magazines in Australia. I'm a doing a bit of research. Thanks in advance for the help.

source | fwd

Nina Garcia to Go From Hachette to...Hachette?

Tracy Taylor rumored to be out at Marie Claire
Thursday, May 08, 2008
(NEW YORK) Project Runway star Nina Garcia is about to land a major gig at Marie Claire, reliable sources have informed The Daily. The former Elle fashion director was fired last month, almost a year after a new Joe Zee-helmed creative team was installed at the venerable fashion title. After appearing recently at the Hearst Tower to much frenzied speculation about Harper's Bazaar--and more speculation about a possible role at perennially beleagured In Style--Garcia is now poised to take on a position at Marie Claire which, given all the talk of a potential partnership between the magazine and Project Runway, would ensure her continued presence on the show. Currently, Marie Claire's fashion department is directed by Tracy Taylor.

UPDATE: It appears that Taylor will be leaving the magazine. "We have no changes in Marie Claire's fashion department to announce at this time," a Hearst spokesperson wrote in an email. Calls to Taylor and Garcia have not been returned.
Marie Claire has faced some controversy and declining newsstand numbers since editor Lesley Jane Seymour exited the book in mid-2006. The magazine is a joint venture between Hearst and Hachette Filippachi France, which owns a 43 percent stake in the American edition of Marie Claire. From December 2005 to December 2007, single-copy sales have fallen from 486,115 [December '05 issue] to 273,798 [December '07 issue]. According to a Hearst spokesperson: "Our French partners recently renewed our agreement and have noted they are pleased with how [Joanna] Coles has transformed the magazine. Our last ABC statement for the second half 2007 states that Marie Claire sold an average of 341,000 copies per month." Perhaps a shock of Garcia's television stardom is just what the newsstand ordered.

I know I don't have a news link for this, but I have heard they are starting a Vogue-homme Japan edition. Editor will be Shun Watanabe formerly fashion director at commons & sense magazine. I will try to get more information as I can...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->