The Business of Magazines

Magazine GALA is comming to Slovakia

galaobalkaslovenska.png

The Slovak market will be added after OK! another premium licensed magazine about celebrity and lifestyle. In early November comes the first issue of Slovakian mutation of magazine Gala.

This will be mainly on the adaptation of the original Gala editions in Germany and France, with identical content obout world's celebrities, fashion, beauty and lifestyle.

The primary target group are women older than 20 years. Slovakian Gala will be a monthly in the range of 116 pages for the selling price of € 2.10. The new title comes to distribution of printed cost 15-thousand pieces, estimated sales at the beginning are 10 thousand copies.

Gala is licensed by Europe's largest publishing group Gruner + Jahr based in Hamburg, Germany. Title began to build in 1993 in France a year later their suffered another severe mutation in Germany, and gradually were added and others in Poland (2001), Russia (2004), Croatia (2007), Lithuania (2009), Syria (2009), Lebanon (2009) and recently in Kuwait (2010).

source: medialne.sk

From The Independent:

The story behind Vogue's iPad app

Going from page to screen has been less than seamless. Vogue's editor, Alexandra Shulman, tells Ian Burrell why it takes time for things to click

After 94 years as one of the most beautiful products on the newsstand, Vogue, the magazine that never misses a chance to remind us of its status as the holy book of the fashion industry, has been reconfigured as an application for Steve Jobs and his iPad.

There will be music, there will be models on the move and, of course, there will be Mario. The biggest name in fashion photography, Mario Testino, has contributed to the app his own video footage of Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell and other goddesses, to complement the still portraits in the December issue of Vogue, out this week. The Vogue app will also feature a Testino shoot with Emma Watson and a behind-the-scenes video shot by the photographer's team, showing him chatting with the Harry Potter actress in Paris.

And yet, as Alexandra Shulman, the editor of Vogue, rolls her index finger across the screen of an iPad to demonstrate the new app, it's clear this has been a project fraught with difficulties. "It has been much more work and much more complex to build and create it and work out what we were doing than I expected," she admits. The magazine's publisher Conde Nast hatched the plan for a Vogue app last spring at a time when the iPad was expected to become a major source of British media content. "I had thought more people would by this time be buying media products on iPads. The reality is that not that many iPads have been sold in this country," says the editor of a magazine that sells 210,000 copies a month.

The core of the debut £3.99 Vogue app is the star-themed December issue of the magazine, but in a page-swiping digital format and with a raft of delicious video extras. Those that buy it might expect a similar digital purchase of the January issue. Not so. There won't be another Vogue app for four months.

A brand as precious as Vogue's cannot associate itself with a second-rate product and before she embarks on a second venture into what is largely uncharted waters for the publishing sector, Shulman will analyse the response to her first attempt. "It will be interesting to see what people use and enjoy and what they think is a waste of time," she says. "I'd like to get feedback before we start on the next one and work out what's worth putting the energy into."

Surmounting rights issues has been a significant problem. As Shulman flicks across a fashion video shot by Vogue creative director Robin Derrick and featuring a leggy model in stars-and-stripes sportswear she regrets that the chosen soundtrack (St Etienne's version of Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart") has not been cleared and she will need to find something else.

And then there are the photographers. The stellar operators commissioned by Vogue "are well aware of the worth of their name", says the editor. Negotiations take place on "whether or not you can use what they create for us and what we are paying for in terms of use of the content in digital formats". Even enthusiastic collaborators face the enemy of the tight deadline when producing video. "They don't have the time to edit but don't want another photographer or crew on their shoot," says Shulman.

Given such hurdles, the Vogue app is quite an achievement. In addition to the experience of reading the 300-plus pages of Vogue on a screen, there are a succession of video features, which serve as both luxurious treats and insights into the workings of the fashion business. Set designer Shona Heath talks about how she created the "star signs" shoot, in which a faux-fur headdress turns a model into a Serengeti lioness for Leo. Elsewhere, the make-up artist Lisa Eldridge discloses some secrets. Both videos are based on features from the magazine.

"We've played with the content made for the magazine and given it a different texture," says Shulman. "What we haven't done is create different content for the iPad, which is not the way to go if you want to keep your sanity."

The app is an opportunity for manufacturers of upscale fashion accessories. A £152,750 star-shaped pendant is shown twirling seductively. But it has been far from straightforward persuading high-end advertisers to submit video content. One exception is Fendi, which has contributed a slick "making of" video of its latest advertising campaign, with shots of Karl Lagerfeld and hair stylist Sam McKnight. In the midst of an economic downturn, such films are a drain on marketing budgets. "Lots of designer brands are talking about how they are marketing in digital but very few have the kind of content they wanted to put on the app," says Shulman. "They wanted something extraordinary but hadn't made it. You don't want to have a luxury brand looking like they have got a wobbly hand-held camera."

The app will need to make money. Shulman says: "There are no vanity exercises on Vogue, we make all the money here." But she is not expecting the new feature to change the business model at a stroke. "The future where that becomes a cash cow is a very long way away," she says. "The big question is does that become the only way you get Vogue 20 years down the line, does it replace the magazine?"

Shulman, who describes herself as a digital "neophyte", clearly hopes the print product will endure. "Call me old-fashioned or simply old but I still find reading my Vogue this way – so I can lie in bed or take it into the bath or put it down on the kitchen table – a much more relaxing experience," she says, toying with the magazine and then pointing to the iPad. "I find this rather exhausting and stressful because that's not the way I want to read it – I don't want to read a newspaper on that either."

A little more than a year from now Alexandra Shulman, 52, will be starting work on her 20th anniversary issue as editor. "I'm more interested in Vogue's 100th anniversary than my 20th," she says, indicating that she intends to remain in situ until at least 2016. She will give the fashion bible another redesign in March to make the format a little less rigid. She will focus on that ahead of producing the second Vogue app.

The iPad product has been produced by the magazine team without additional staff. Vogue's website operates independently and Shulman, while praising the online team for its rapid response to fashion news stories, warns that the brand will need to delineate its various offerings. "There's no point in putting behind-the-scenes videos on the website for free if you are trying to get people to look at them for £3.99 on the app," she says.

Given the trials of producing the Vogue app it is not surprising that the American and Italian editions have elected not to follow suit and to spend their money on their websites. But British media should be glad that Shulman and Derrick have been braver. Their efforts will be anticipated with interest by advertisers and creatives alike. It is, as the editor points out, a "landmark moment", and the December 2010 edition in both print and digital format will be a collector's item. "This iPad is a fantastically exciting radical learning curve," she says. "I'm not even sure that with the next one we will do the same kind of thing."

THOSE SEPTEMBER ISSUES: The weeks that lead up to the all-important September fashion issues have editors (and industry observers) obsessing over cover choices and publishers pounding the pavement to try to produce a magazine that has more ads than the previous year and more pages than the competition’s. So who came out on top at the newsstand? Jennifer Aniston and Harper’s Bazaar. The former “Friends” star catapulted the magazine to its best-selling issue in seven years, up 22 percent to 255,000 on the newsstand. Tory Burch, meanwhile, was a winner for Town & Country and new editor in chief Stephen Drucker. The Hearst title experienced the second largest increase in the category, up 18 percent on newsstands to 45,100 copies, according to Audit Bureau of Circulations Rapid Report. Jennifer Lopez resonated among Glamour readers, raising newsstand about 1 percent to 624,000, while Marie Claire’s Mary-Kate Olsen cover experienced roughly the same gain, with 338,273 copies sold.

W’s September issue, under editor in chief Stefano Tonchi, was down 14 percent to 30,000 single copies, and Elle, with Julia Roberts, fell 10 percent to 390,000. Hilary Swank’s cover turn on InStyle resulted in a 6 percent decline to 800,000 copies, and Vogue’s issue with Halle Berry fell 5.5 percent to 540,000.

wwd / november 5, 2010

Oh Tonchi :doh:
I thought their September issue was really great as a debut. What happened?

^^ Patrick McCarthy and Dennis Freedman should be laughing too loud :lol: :lol:

Similar article from The Cut.

This was supposed to be a great year for September issues. Halle Berry looked adorable on Vogue, the first black woman to get the September issue spot since 1989. Glamour, Elle, and Harper's Bazaar were praised, if misguidedly, for all putting famous actresses over 40 — Jennifer Lopez, Julia Roberts, and Jennifer Aniston, respectively — on their covers. Plus, the recession is supposed to be easing and chicks are supposed to be excited about buying fall wardrobes and magazines that tell them how to do it. Either women aren't excited about those things or this year's September cover stars didn't inspire such thrill for consumerism.

Here's how the major magazines fared this September compared to last September, according to statistics from the Audit Bureau of Circulations. We'll start with the good news and work our way down to the bad:

• Harper's Bazaar: up 22 percent to 255,000 copies.
Cover star: Jennifer Aniston
Aniston, who posed inside the magazine as Barbara Streisand, delivered Bazaar's best-selling issue in seven years. Jennifer Aniston + Barbara Streisand + Harper's Bazaar = But of course.

• Town & Country: up 18 percent to 45,100 copies.
Cover star: Tory Burch
This was the first issue under new editor Stephen Drucker, who fared much better than fellow editor in a new job, Stefano Tonchi (read on for W's stats).

• Glamour: up 1 percent to 624,000 copies.
Cover star: Jennifer Lopez
Last year's September cover girl was Jessica Simpson. So apparently Jennifer Lopez is, to a magazine, about as valuable as her.

• Marie Claire: up 1 percent to 338,273 copies.
Cover star: Mary-Kate Olsen
And apparently MK is about as valuable as the magazine's September 2009 cover girl, her sister Ashley Olsen. They really are twins!

• Vogue: down 5.5 percent to 540,000 copies.
Cover star: Halle Berry
This is disappointing since the cover was pretty great. However, at least the magazine wasn't in the bottom three. That honor goes to...

• InStyle: down 6 percent to 800,000 copies.
Cover star: Hilary Swank
Despite experiencing the worst dip in their category, they still sold the most copies by far. Hell, with those numbers they may as well put us on a cover.

• Elle: down 10 percent to 390,000 copies.
Cover star: Julia Roberts
Maybe this was America's way of saying, Please, no — don't make an Eat Pray Love movie! I don't have to see it! Too little too late.

• W: down 14 percent to 30,000 copies.
Cover stars: Yaya DaCosta, Jennifer Lawrence, Greta Gerwig, Kat Dennings, Jessica Chastain, Emma Roberts, Zoë Kravitz and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Tonchi said he was happy to be able to put eight up-and-coming Hollywood starlets on his September issue foldout cover when he unveiled it with the magazine's redesign. He said he hoped to be able to keep doing unexpected covers that weren't like every other magazine. The following month, he put Kim Kardashian on the cover. Naked.

We'll be seeing Jennifer on Bazaar again soon then. No wonder she appears on so many covers, she sells so well for them all.

I guess we will be seeing a lot of Jennifer Aniston, provided that she wants to be seen.

W put unknowns on its September cover, so while Tonchi can be faulted for making that decision, it was not apples to apples in comparison to last year or to other September issues. If the Kim Kardashian cover sells, then that is going to be the death knell of W, the fashion magazine.

^ Surprising indeed...

P.S. Isn't this info more suited for Business of Magazines thread? :rolleyes:

^^ great news!!! i always thought she didn't fit the position

^haha I moved the posts, they were originally in the cover rumor thread :smile:

^^ great news!!! i always thought she didn't fit the position

I agree. This is wonderful news to my ears (well eyes). I got so sick of all the boring and tired as hell modern art in that magazine. I understand that is her perspective, but it does not belong in a magazine like POP. Not to mention the fashion stories were barely interesting. Can't wait to hear news about her replacement.

^ Ashley Heath replacing her is a relief. I just hope Pop wouldn't change fashion editors.

source: twitter.com/HilaryAlexander

"Dasha Zhukova is planning to launch a new arts-culture-fashion project, digitally-based. Watch this space"

VANITY FRANCE ?: Could France be the next country to get its own version of Vanity Fair? Sources said Condé Nast France is mulling a launch of the title, and has been putting out feelers. A spokeswoman for Condé Nast International in London declined to offer any specifics. “We’re looking at three or four different options — but we’re always looking at our options. We are still far from giving any projects the green light, and I’d be surprised if anything is decided before the new year,” she said. Extending the Vanity Fair franchise to France would not be a surprising move. Condé Nast launched Vanity Fair Italy in 2003. The magazine was the first weekly iteration of the title, and has consistently been one of Condé Nast International’s most lucrative books. In 2007, it launched Vanity Fair Germany, but closed the title two years later, not long after the financial crisis struck. In 2008, it launched Vanity Fair Spain, a monthly title.

wwd.com

Wow..so many resignations from fashion publication are happening right now. :D

Dasha Zhukova resigns as editor-in-chief of Pop magazine

The Russian beauty, Dasha Zhukova, steps down as editor-in-chief of Pop magazine to focus on independent digital publishing projects.

Confirming the rumours which have been swirling around Planet Fashion for the last few days, it was announced late yesterday that Dasha Zhukova, the stunning Russian beauty, philanthropist and entrepreneur, has resigned as the editor-in-chief of Pop Magazine.

Ms Zhukova, 29, is leaving to focus on independent digital publishing projects in the arts and is believed to be close to finalising her first new deal.

"My time at Pop has been a transformative experience that I am extremely proud of. It has afforded me the chance to collaborate with some of the greatest creative minds in the world and I'm thankful to Ashley Heath and Bauer Media for the opportunity," she said. "I'm now excited to move on and build something from the ground up."

Dasha Zhukova joined Pop in February, last year. Creating a nexus between the worlds of art and fashion, her editorship featured collaborative covers between Damien Hirst & Tavi Gevinson, Richard Prince & Abbey Lee and Takashi Murakami & Britney Spears.

The long-term girlfriend of Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea Football Club, Ms Zhukova gave birth to the couple's first child, a son, Aaron Alexander Abramovich, in December.

In addition to her work in publishing, fashion and the arts, Dasha Zhukova is the founder of the Iris Foundation - a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the understanding and development of contemporary culture throughout the world. In September 2008, through Iris, she launched the Garage Center for Contemporary Culture in Moscow, which has grown into the city's most prominent venue showcasing modern and contemporary art.
telegraph.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->