The Business of Magazines

Wow 1500$ a year, I don't know if I could finish reading all the issue in just one year
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm disappointed to say the least. I wish it was a bit more reasonable, but I can understand why they would make it that expensive.

That is very disappointing indeed, but iluvjeisa's reasoning makes sense, although in the video it says you can actually PRINT anything you wish, which truly is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
one more thing about Vogue archives

However if you’re a college student then you’re very lucky because the whole archive can be accessed through ProQuest, the leading provider of digital-research resources, available in most college libraries.

fashionista

I do wonder how will they stop the Torrents of the issues from getting out? Surely if its all on the net, then there is also the way for those who run those websites, to get them.

I do wish there was preview trial, so everyone could have a go with the search function for one time....

I do wonder how will they stop the Torrents of the issues from getting out? Surely if its all on the net, then there is also the way for those who run those websites, to get them.

I do wish there was preview trial, so everyone could have a go with the search function for one time....

They must have thought a lot about this. They must have a way to protect it.

But as long as the only objects (images) from the database can be retrieved and the database structure is not publically available their resource is still worth much more than the mere images. They have the information pertaining to each and every image down to the smallest detail. That's the kind of information that can be very important for business users.

And it actually does not say what it costs for companies to purchase this resource. I imagine it's a hefty sum.

ANNA’S TV TIME: In anticipation of Vogue’s 120th anniversary next year, Anna Wintour will appear on Sunday’s CBS Sunday Morning, with Hamish Bowles, to talk magazine covers (Dodie Kazanjian and Bowles recently published “Vogue: The Covers”), and the new digital archive that houses every single page ever printed from Vogue’s 120-year history. Serena Altschul asked Wintour about her first cover in 1988, an outtake from a non-cover shoot that had a model wearing jeans. “To me, it just said, ‘This is something new. This is something different.’ And I remember the printers called us up because they thought we’d made a mistake. Just wanting to check that that actually was the cover,” recalled Wintour.

She went on to talk about moving from models to movie stars and celebrities on the cover. “I remember getting quite a bit of criticism for my first Madonna cover,” said Wintour. “And you know, ‘She’ll never sell.’ And it was a little bit risky. And it was up something extraordinary, like 40 percent on newsstands. So that was an eye-opener to all of us.”

Wintour said she has always followed her own instincts at Vogue, and doesn’t put much weight in market research. “Sometimes they’re successful and obviously sometimes they’re not,” she added. “But you have to, I think, remain true to what you believe in.”
source | wwd.com

$1,575 = less than $1.00 per issue. Seems pretty reasonable to have everything from the magazine in it's original context.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if people could choose just specific issues from the archive.

I wish the cover archive was free too! But I agree, $1,575 is too much. I mean, why so much?

I hope Anna celebrates their 120th year too

Glamour's Pending Makeover

GET ME A REDESIGN!: Condé Nast’s reliable cash cow Glamour has had a rough year. Ad pages dropped 7 percent in 2011, and the magazine’s newsstand sales are down 17 percent through the end of October.

These are familiar concerns—other than Vogue, all women’s fashion magazines are down in the low double digits off the newsstand this year — but considering the high volume at which Glamour sells off the newsstand, and its importance in guaranteeing a strong profit for its parent company, the hit has been meaningful.

Now WWD has learned that editor in chief Cindi Leive apparently isn’t interested in waiting around to see if things magically self correct in 2012.

Leive is planning a major overhaul of the magazine, which will include a redesign. The new-look Glamour will launch in March and will include new columns and contributors. There are indications the magazine is aiming for a hipper attitude: Its content is expected to have an increased emphasis on pop culture, and it has hired the former art director of Nylon to help with the redesign.

“The format of many women’s magazines — Glamour included! — hasn’t changed much for a decade, but young women are consuming media in totally different ways now,” Leive said via e-mail. “Our team is creating a new Glamour and glamour.com for this new generation of readers — we’ll share it with them this spring.”

The magazine has tapped two New York design firms to work with design director Geraldine Hessler on the new look for the magazine and the site. One is Actual Idea, a design firm run by Michael Angelo, the former art director of Nylon who art directed the most recent Esquire Big Black Book and designed Fast Company’s Most Creative People iPad app. The other is Triboro Design, a firm that is run by a husband-and-wife duo of David Heasty and Stefanie Weigler. They’re located off of McGolrick Park in Greenpoint, and clients have included BLK DNM.

A reimagining of Glamour has had to be in the back of Leive’s mind for some time. Back in June, she hinted that changes could come if sales didn’t pick up.

“We’re looking at the sales for the first couple months of this year and we’re thinking, ‘Geez, we’ve got to fight even harder to keep these girls,’” she said then. “It’s the classic thing. A girl has 1.7 seconds at the newsstand to make her decision about your magazine. Are we using that 1.7 seconds as well as we should? If we need to do that more ferociously and with different people and different topics, then we will.”

Glamour isn’t the only women’s magazine undergoing some change, though. Harper’s Bazaar is working on a redesign, which will also launch in that ad-happy month of March (and, unlike the Condé Nast title, Bazaar is also reducing its frequency for a second consecutive year). Incidentally, both Leive and Bazaar editor in chief Glenda Bailey have been editing their magazines for 10 years.

wwd.com

ANNA’S TV TIME: In anticipation of Vogue’s 120th anniversary next year, Anna Wintour will appear on Sunday’s CBS Sunday Morning, with Hamish Bowles, to talk magazine covers

source | wwd.com

Here's the video

Inez van Lamsweerde says, the issue of Vogue Paris with this cover was best selling issue ever.

image09.jpg

style.com

I think they mean that it was the best selling cover that THEY have shot, not the best selling issue of VP ever. But either way, i never liked it.

^ It's Inez's comment and I thought in this case, word "their" refers to Vogue Paris. At least I guess in this way. :flower:

^ I think, only through libraries in school, its possible.....

^ It's Inez's comment and I thought in this case, word "their" refers to Vogue Paris. At least I guess in this way. :flower:
I think, you are right, didn't realize its her comment.

Not sure if this has been discussed on TFS before, but has anyone thought about lowering the prices of thinner issues, like January? Personally, I don't buy January issues because I feel like it's a waste of money for like 20 minutes of entertainment, whereas a September issue keeps you busy for hours, you know? I'd be much more willing to buy Jan issues if the price was lower, anyone else agree??

Not really. It's quaility not quantity for me. Usually January issues aren't the best, but sometimes they do contain amazing editorials. Sometimes September issues contain much more content but it can all be really kind of bad? So for me it doesn't really make any sense to alter prices for each.

This is a completely different subject but last week i went to downtown Lisbon where theres,obviously, "millions" of newsstands full of fashion magazines.
I went to all of them, and the prices are always regular but then i go to my favourite one. So huge full of fashion magazines and i couldnt believe when i saw American Vogue for 5,20 euros and also American Harpers Bazaar for the same price, the cool thing is that in other newsstands the normal price of this magazines is 11,50 euros. I was like how is this possible. And the same with W that cost me 6,50 euros and the price in other shops was 12,50 euros.
How is this possible? Is this any deal between the shop and the magazine? How stange...

Also this is kind out of topic but i really want to know the name of that site where there is all of the magazines online (i totally forgot the name idkw) and also how much time do a magazine take to come to the buyer wihen we buy it online?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->