The Business of Magazines

Vice actually makes some really good documentaries. I'm subscribed to their youtube channel and its pretty good. Idk about the magazine itself tho, never actually ready any articles from them... other than the one article of a girl on a acid during LFW which I thought was pretty funny.

^ The only thing vice delivers is the documentaries and, in the past, some of their mono-thematic issues were good. but that's about it. I'm so not happy with this. After a few amazing issues i'd fallen in love with I-D again. I'm actually scared for what's to come

^From a study and work point of view, nobody ever cares about Vice. We (that is, my acquaintances and I) typically reference it when we want to reference something either a) ridiculous, b) hipster-y, c) insulting or d) all of the above, like that girl going to LFW on acid. So I'm a bit frightened about i-D - it has a reputation of finding what's 'new' and tends to lead the pack, but Vice... Vice takes it all and just makes fun of it. Hopefully they won't touch it too much....

^From a study and work point of view, nobody ever cares about Vice. We (that is, my acquaintances and I) typically reference it when we want to reference something either a) ridiculous, b) hipster-y, c) insulting or d) all of the above, like that girl going to LFW on acid. So I'm a bit frightened about i-D - it has a reputation of finding what's 'new' and tends to lead the pack, but Vice... Vice takes it all and just makes fun of it. Hopefully they won't touch it too much....

Agreed. Vice at a glance seems extremely subpar compared to i-D, but then again perhaps it's just a question of serving different tastes. I'm hoping the take over won't mean fusing the two style wise much, if at all.

Cosmopolitan Sweden

Swedish Cosmopolitan is ceasing after more than 10 years in the Swedish market.
Profitability has been too low, according to the LRF Media's CEO. The last number came out on December 13th (2012).

LRF Media and Hearst Magazines International has agreed to stop publishing Swedish Cosmopolitan.

Poor profitability and poor long-term potential are the causes, according to Reuben Jacobson, president of LRF Media.

"Because it is a tough segment, and the magazine has not given the profitability that we require, we agreed with Hearst Magazines not to be their Swedish licensing partner anymore" said Reuben Jacobson in a statement.

Cosmopolitan Sweden started in 2001.
journalisten.se

front_image.aspx

The last issue of Cosmopolitan Sweden (January 2013) with Taylor Swift on the cover. (cosmopolitan.se)​

Last edited by a moderator:
From Bazaar to Red (featuresexec.com:(

Hearst's Red magazine has appointed Sarah Bailey as editor-in-chief.

Formerly deputy editor of Harper's Bazaar in the UK, Bailey officially starts her new role at Red on 12 February. She has previously held positions at Harper's Bazaar in the US, Elle UK, and Just Seventeen.

Bailey replaces previous editor-in-chief Sam Baker, who announced her departure from Red last year.

I hope Red doesn't change too much. I actually really enjoy what they offer, it's a good read.

Other news:

Tom Usher (previous Harpers UK) is the new Creative Director of Marie Claire UK.

Stylist are launching a version in France.

I always thought Bailey might replace Yeoman's, but since she must have been passed for Picardie, i wonder if that is why she decided to leave for Red.

From 15 January 2013 (adweek.com:(

Hearst Boasts Record-Breaking March

Elle, Marie Claire, Bazaar, Cosmo all boost ad pages

After a strong showing in September, Hearst Magazines is looking to clean up again with its March issues on the strength of fashion, retail, luxury and beauty ads. With much to crow about, the company got a jump on its rivals in putting out its numbers for the March issue, which, along with September, are fashion magazines' biggest of the year.

Elle’s March issue was up 6 percent to 338 ad pages, with new advertisers including Balmain, Pucci, Ritz Carlton and Hermès. The magazine has grown considerably in the year and a half since publisher Kevin O’Malley took over, increasing overall ad pages 6 percent in 2012, and is now Hearst’s second-largest business in the U.S. after Cosmo.

Marie Claire’s March issue—its biggest to March date, following last year’s record-breaker—marks the full-issue debut of its editor in chief, Anne Fulenwider. The magazine closed (on Sunday night, just in time for its team to fly out to the West Coast to host a Golden Globes party with the Weinstein Company) with 208 ad pages, up 15.3 percent year over year.

Harper’s Bazaar closed another record-breaking issue on the 1-year anniversary of its redesign. With 325 ad pages—a 20 percent increase—and new advertisers like Proenza Schouler, Jil Sander, and Giorgio Armani Beauty, it’s Bazaar’s biggest-ever March.

Cosmopolitan is up 12.6 percent in March with 130 ad pages, its biggest in five years. It will be editor in chief Joanna Coles's first full issue, which includes some editorial content and design tweaks.

Coles also plans to infuse the Cosmo brand with her high fashion bona fides, which, judging from its March covers—three versions are being produced, featuring Miley Cyrus and styled by Rachel Zoe wearing Marc Jacobs, Christian Dior, and Roberto Cavalli—is off to a good start. (At the same time, Coles is giving a nod to the magazine’s heritage: The photo featuring Cyrus in a Dior gown is meant to pay homage to legendary editor Helen Gurley Brown’s original covers, Coles said.)

Hearst Magazines president, marketing and publishing director Michael Clinton said about half of the company's portfolio will post double-digit gains in March. Those include Seventeen (the March issue, its biggest in 10 years, has new advertisers like Chanel fragrance and Dior beauty), Food Network Magazine, House Beautiful, Elle Décor, and Esquire.

Thanks for posting that! Good for them, but i am surprised that Bazaar got so many new advertisers, its such an unattractive book!

Vogue Again Leads Women's Fashion for March-Issue Ad Pages
Largest March Yet for Title Including InStyle, Harper's and Marie Claire
By: Nat Ives Published: January 23, 2013

Ad pages increased again in women's fashion magazines' important March issues, which see designers introduce new collections every spring and only trail September in importance to publishers.

March ad pages grew by double-digits percentages at a few titles and by smaller margins at most others, but the gains are welcome amid a slow start to the year for monthly magazines as a whole. Monthlies saw ad pages in their January and February issues slip 1.2% from the same period a year prior, according to the Media Industry Newsletter.

But Vogue's March issue will include 457 ad pages, more than any competitor and 3.5% more than in March 2012, according to the magazine, which is part of Conde Nast.

Time Inc.'s InStyle came in second with 361 ad pages, a gain of 4% from last year. That makes this the largest March issue in InStyle's 19 years, according to a spokeswoman. And Hearst Magazines' Elle ranks third with an estimated 338 ad pages and a 7% increase over 2012.

Larger gains came for some of the titles a little further down the list. Harper's Bazaar is running run 330 ad pages in its March issue, up 21% and enough to set a March record for Harper's Bazaar as well. Half the title's gains came from fashion, a spokeswoman said, while half came from beauty. Harper's Bazaar is part of Hearst.

Conde Nast's W has 210 ad pages slated for March, an uptick of 3% and the biggest March issue for W since 2008. Hearst's Marie Claire follows with 207.5 ad pages, yet another biggest March yet and a 15.3% gain over 2012, the magazine said.

Time Inc.'s People StyleWatch is posting the second-largest year-over-year gain, 27%, enough to get it to 172 ad pages, with new buys from brands including Bloomingdales, Seven for Mankind and Sheiseido.

Conde Nast's Glamour will run 161 ad pages, an 11.5% decline from the year earlier, although it has a tough comparison against last March, when it introduced a redesign and saw ad pages leap 21.3%.

Cosmopolitan, part of Hearst, is running 130 ad pages in March, up12.6%. And Teen Vogue, a Conde title, will run 123.9 ad pages, up 31% -- the biggest year-over-year percentage growth.
adage.com

Thanks for posting that! Good for them, but i am surprised that Bazaar got so many new advertisers, its such an unattractive book!

The book itself is lovely.. I don't know if you seen the inside since the redesign but its very clean, uncluttered, and elegant. The problem is the edits have become boring and the writing and covers are more abysmal than ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have, but somehow the new layouts dont engage me. It all over all feels just empty.

I have, but somehow the new layouts dont engage me. It all over all feels just empty.

Yes.. I agree that it does seen devoid of fresh ideas or direction. Which is sad because At some point Glenda did produce some solid issues. I always felt Bazaar was at the cusp of being a great magazine but it just seems pointless now. It has no voice because Glenda doesn't seem to have a solid opinion on fashion. At this point I'd like to see it at least go back to Tsiolis, Sundsboe, Kadel. Lubomirski and the other young photographers that Glenda relied upon once the big guns left at least they provided a solid if not groundbreaking vision.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
just noticed even more magazines have gone digital. W, Allure, Lucky, Glamour, Details, GQ, Vanity fair are now on zinio. I wonder if there is lots of profit from going digital.

I just feel sad cause majority of these magazines aren't available on iPhone. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->