The Devil Wears Prada Movie

There is going to be a show on VH1 next Tuesday at 11 pm called "10 Most Excellent Things: The Devil Wears Prada". I think it is all behind the scenes stuff. I cannot wait! :D

This picture reminds me of Liz Tiberis

:cry: .... the former Vogue and Harper's Bazaar Editor

*correction Liz TILBERIS

Attachments

• pradams062006.jpg
    pradams062006.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 7
Devil Wears Prada ....very accurate depiction of the industry.... according to....

While premieres begin for "The Devil Wears Prada" and its stars make the requisite publicity show stops, here's another reason for you to catch the chick flick of the summer. Veteran NY Times fashion writer Ginia Bellafante calls the movie a very accurate representation of the fashion industry.
"The Devil Wears Prada" is the first film to take a 21st-century view of fashion, moving beyond the myth of its practitioners as visionaries, revealing them instead as the exacting functionaries they are: those who live and dress and think according to the seasonal edicts of global conglomerates.
So when the fashion assistant works non-stop hours getting coffee and scheduling her editor's tanning appointments all in the hopes of accompanying Meryl Streep to a runway show, you're not watching mere popcorn fare. That's the twisted work ethic you'll learn to espouse at a fashion magazine. You will get ridiculed for wearing last season's shoes and blacklisted for owning loafers. Yes, it's all about status and owning nice villas and going to the same three restaurants in any given city. The movie according to Ginia is no exaggeration so if a career in fashion is what you're after, maybe you should check it out just to be sure.

Written by Ann John

*NY Times

Smartarse thanks for the article,its sad this parody about fashion world is not a parody after all.Its the sad truth about how things work in fashion!

cosmogrl5 said:
Because of the movie, ET did a report on Anna Wintour tonight. Anyone else see it?
What was it like?And what did they say about Wintour?:blush:

Oh i posted pictures of the premiere in the "behind the lens"forum!!:(
Sorry it was a miatake after i posted i saw its the wrong thread:huh: its confusing because there are a couple of threads about this movie.:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
New York Times article....

sorry forgot to post the link earlier...

In 'The Devil Wears Prada,' It's Not Couture, It's Business (With Accessories)

By GINIA BELLAFANTE
Published: June 18, 2006

IN one scene in the new movie "The Devil Wears Prada," the heroine, Andy Sachs, who serves as slave and coat rack for her boss, Miranda Priestly, receives a visit from her concerned Midwestern father. He arrives in New York and pummels his daughter with questions: he wants to know why she is often stuck at the office until 2 a.m., even though she is just an assistant; why her boss calls during dinner; why, given her acceptance to Stanford Law School, she chose to pursue a career in journalism; and why now she isn't even doing that, because Runway magazine, where she works, isn't, after all, The American Prospect.

"The Devil Wears Prada," which is set to open June 30, is based on the best-selling novel of the same name, written by Lauren Weisberger, who worked as an assistant at Vogue and mined the experience to depict fashion magazines as cauldrons of Peronist management style and self-enchantment. Andy (played by Anne Hathaway) was once an earnest young woman who might have invoked the word "crisis" to describe wars and car accidents. But she is so ensorcelled by Miranda, Runway's harridan editor (Meryl Streep), that she now uses it when harm befalls a set of accessories. In all of this her father finds great cause for lament.

From 1999 to 2004 I wrote about fashion as a reporter and critic for this newspaper. When I called my mother to tell her that her only child was going to earn a living analyzing the meaning of clothes, I think she considered adoption. I defended my decision on the grounds that it was an opportunity to think instructively about gender and class and produce the sort of broad cultural criticism I had come to admire most. Another opportunity the fashion beat affords is plenty of time spent in the company of fashion people, something variously dreadful and exhilarating. Disciples of the fashion tribe will surely say "The Devil Wears Prada" exaggerates their manners and proclivities. It doesn't. The movie is easily the truest portrayal of fashion culture since "Unzipped," the 1995 documentary about Isaac Mizrahi.

continuation...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/movies/18bell.html?ex=1308283200&en=39b6470dd3028757&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

smartarse said:
While premieres begin for "The Devil Wears Prada" and its stars make the requisite publicity show stops, here's another reason for you to catch the chick flick of the summer. Veteran NY Times fashion writer Ginia Bellafante calls the movie a very accurate representation of the fashion industry.
"The Devil Wears Prada" is the first film to take a 21st-century view of fashion, moving beyond the myth of its practitioners as visionaries, revealing them instead as the exacting functionaries they are: those who live and dress and think according to the seasonal edicts of global conglomerates.
So when the fashion assistant works non-stop hours getting coffee and scheduling her editor's tanning appointments all in the hopes of accompanying Meryl Streep to a runway show, you're not watching mere popcorn fare. That's the twisted work ethic you'll learn to espouse at a fashion magazine. You will get ridiculed for wearing last season's shoes and blacklisted for owning loafers. Yes, it's all about status and owning nice villas and going to the same three restaurants in any given city. The movie according to Ginia is no exaggeration so if a career in fashion is what you're after, maybe you should check it out just to be sure.

Written by Ann John

*NY Times

Just heard that KT Tunstall's Suddenly I See is going to be playing in the opening of the film:clap:

The Million Dollar Wardrobe of The Devil Wears Prada

June 21, 2006 -- THE most coveted, up-to-the-second wardrobe of any film - and nearly the most expensive - belongs to "The Devil Wears Prada," a spectacle of $12,000 handbags and $40,000 fur coats.

"It has to be over 100 designers," says film stylist Patricia Field, who previously dressed the women of "Sex and the City." "We must have used at least $1 million worth of clothing." Not that filmmakers spent that much. Field had a costume budget of a mere $100,000, "but we could never have done it without my friends in the fashion industry helping us along. It would have been impossible. The level of fur coats, and designer bags - oh my God."

And for fashion lovers who will crowd the July 29 opening of the film, by God, there are clothes. In one sequence Meryl Streep, as the fashion magazine's formidable editor in chief, is shown storming in to the magazine's offices on a series of mornings, slinging more minks and deluxe purses at her hapless assistant than PETA has slung raccoons and pies at Anna Wintour.
"This was a movie of wardrobe montages," Field says. "It was a parade of coats and bags. And every time you saw her, there was a different outfit underneath."
The No. 1 factor in creating the look, comprising about 60 costumes for her alone, was Streep. "I didn't reference Anna Wintour is what I'm trying to say," Field says. "What I wanted to do was to create a character who was the biggest editor-in-chief of a fashion magazine. And the only rule I imposed upon myself other than making Meryl look as good as I knew how, was that in her position she would wear expensive clothing because she has access to everything." While glamorous, the ultra high end wardrobe was a source of amusement for Streep, who cracked up at the endless costume changes.

"These clothes cost so much money," Streep says. "One of the handbags was $12,000. It's almost inconceivable to me. So then a $4,000 bag seems like a bargain. You just re-adjust your whole way of thinking. It's just insane."
Among the designers, Prada was naturally on prominent display. A grey frame handbag from fall 2005 with a front and center logo and a $1,445 price tag opens the movie on Streep's arm. Streep wears a black Prada suit, and plenty of the designer's shoes.
"Out of every 10 pairs, four were Prada," Field says. "Prada was making a lot of platform shoes that gave her the height that she liked." The burgundy suede pair on Streep's feet for her first appearance on screen cost $445.
Streep came to Field with the idea of white hair already hatched with her makeup artist. Then Field called in every piece of clothing she could and they went to work, trying on and crafting the image.
But the looks are not the greatest hits of fall 2005, when the movie was filmed. Instead Field referenced Donna Karan archives from 1987 and pieces from Michael Vollbracht for Bill Blass as a base of timeless fashion sculpted to a woman's body.
"The important thing for her character was I didn't want her to be wearing trendy, recognizable clothing," Field says. "I didn't want it to be so obvious. I wanted her to look more original and less recognizable, but at the same time luxurious."
For Anne Hathaway's character, the assistant, Field did the opposite, as directed by the script.
"She starts out as a college graduate and she wants to write for a literary magazine and she's not that conscious of fashion," Field says. "She thinks she dresses nicely, but she doesn't have a head for fashion, and finds herself in this fashion environment, where she's under pressure to look a little more the part. In the story she gets exasperated, she can't please her boss, she starting to feel sorry for herself and then she asks Nigel to help her. He takes her in to the closet and he starts throwing clothes at her. Here wear this, you need this, try this. What's in the closet is all the designers. So I felt she should wear really recognizable designers."
Do assistants really get to dress from the fashion magazine closet? "I don't know if they do or they don't," Field says. "I was just creating a character." Hathaway wears Dolce & Gabbana, Calvin Klein and Chanel, who comprises half her on-screen wardrobe and asked to dress her. "They said, 'We'll give you whatever you want for Annie.' And I said, 'Bring it on!'" Field says.
The super stylist had a say about which designer names were mentioned, but says there was no product placement, which would entail a fee for a mention or an appearance. "They were going to mention designers no matter what, so I said, instead of this one or that one, let's mention the ones that helped us because that's one way of thanking them." Among those was Valentino, whose black gown Streep wears in a black tie party scene. "He helped us so much with Meryl. And then I suggested he be in the movie and he went for it and he came with his entourage. He had fun."

Fred Leighton carved lava rock cameo and diamond ring
$15,000

Fred Leighton pink diamond hoops
$ 7,500

Bill Blass bronze jacket
$ 7,500

Chanel sunglasses
$365

Calvin Klein cotton voile jersey dress
$ 1,595

Dennis Basso sheared mink with broadtail inserts and sable collar and cuffs
$ 30,000

Fendi Persian Lamb coat with Persian lamb and leather striped cuffs and collar
$ 25,000

Yigal Azrouel Ivory angora coat
$ 2,005

Calvin Klein gold python hobo bag
$ 360

Nancy Gonzalez turquois crocodile tote bag
$ 2,620

*NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/style/the_1_million_wardrobe_of_the_devil_wears_prada_style_serena_french_post_fashion_editor.htm

ah.. so that's the one who sang it? i was trying to figure out who. thanks for the 411 B)

truebluejen said:
Just heard that KT Tunstall's Suddenly I See is going to be playing in the opening of the film:clap:

Emil said:
What was it like?And what did they say about Wintour?:blush:

They showed some clips of Anna giving people direction about what dress to put a model in. She was saying how she did not like the beige because they had just done beige. She didn't seem b****y in them at all-- just strong and as though she knew what she wanted. Of course, they touched upon her reputation in the fashion world and the character of Miranda being based on her. Then they mentioned how Meryl was going to lose 30 pounds for the role but decided not to. It was like a 5 minute clip but still sort of interesting. :flower:

smartarse said:
get me coffee at Starbucks ..cappucino: grande skim , quad , easy on the whip. 3 packets of splenda... careful of stirring-- counter clockwise B)

OR depending on my mood (and she better know when I change moods :D ) ... grande, soy , quad, cappuccino, easy on the whip. 2 packets of Splenda. counter-clockwise for stirring.

If I was your intern, I would totally stir your coffee clockwise to see if you would actually notice...^_^ I am such a rebel...:wink:

If you were my intern, I'd make you stir in front of me :wink: :P B)

kellyt said:
If I was your intern, I would totally stir your coffee clockwise to see if you would actually notice...^_^ I am such a rebel...:wink:

^ Holy Crap! holy micromangement! :blink: I'm glad my interning days are over hehehe.

but then again, if I had assistants around solely there to serve my every need or desire, I would totally go out of my way to make their job tough. thats the only way to learn to be on your toes...even if its petty stuff.

I'm so excited for this movie. I love Meryl and Anne. :smile: Trailers looks fabulous.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my friend got to go to the premiere...she said the movie was really cute, and she got to go to the party afterwards and sjp, rosie perez, all the stars of the movie and a bunch of models were there. Too bad I wasn't invited too :angry: :P

^^ wow lucky!! a friend of mine also saw it - not the premiere but at a sneak preview - and she said it's just what she expected, lots of fun and definitely recommended seeing it with a group of girls. she said the wardrobe is simply ridiculous and you come out practically drooling!! i'm re-reading the book (for the, uh, 10th time?! but who's counting) to "refresh" my memory. can't wait to see it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->