The Devil Wears Prada Movie

Going tonight. 8PM.

I think Im going to go ahead and get tickets online. I dont know if it will selll out, but I dont want to get there and find out that it has.

I can't wait either and I think it's going to be HUGE!!!:woot: Get ready for lots of new fashion fans right here at tFS!!!^_^

i just read this review on Yahoo

Lauren David Peden Wed Jun 28, 7:12 PM ET

The film opens with lingering views of the New York City skyline, followed by lingering views of comely young lasses - fashion editors and assistants, polished and primped to perfection - as they pull on glamorous outfits, strap themselves into sky-high Manolos and swipe their lips with designer lipstick.
All of this is filmed at brisk speed, which underscores the harried nature of fashion publishing's Type-A underlings as they ready themselves, via their urban armor of designer dresses and $500 shoes, for another day in the trenches at Runway (the movie's fictional stand-in for Vogue). This clever opener also conveys the sheer joy and sense of limitless possibilities-through-fashion that can come from wearing beautifully made clothes. What fun!
The fun screeches to a halt the minute Meryl Streep, playing Runway editor-in-chief Miranda Priestly, strides into view. Not because she's embodying the boss from h-e-double hockey sticks (as evinced by the way Runway's employees go into terrified Red Alert! mode the minute they hear she's on her way into the office). No, the trouble lies with her handbag: a pale gray snap-top Prada number with the company's logo spelled out in big bold letters across the front.
Yes, the movie is called "The Devil Wears Prada." Yes, Streep is playing said Devil. But as anyone who has spent 10 minutes working in fashion knows, no self-respecting editor-in-chief, let alone a woman who is supposed to be the most important woman in fashion, would ever carry a bag with a blatant logo. Logos are gaudy. Logos are gauche. Logos are for people who are so insecure in their sense of style that they have to broadcast the name of the designer they're wearing on their sleeve - literally - which is something real fashion editors just don't do.
Forget the clothes, you say. What about the plot? Yes, well, about that... In a nutshell, "Devil" centers around an idealistic young college grad named Andy Sachs (Anne Hathaway) who longs to work at The New Yorker but winds up at Runway, where she spends her days fetching double skim lattes - and dry cleaning and lunch and plane tickets and dresses and sick dogs and unpublished manuscripts - for the harridan who helms the mag.
Andy falls under the spell of her powerful, driven and hilariously nasty boss (understandably so, as Streep is clearly having the time of her life and breathes real complexity into a character that was flat-as-cardboard in the book, all while flinging deadpan put-downs with the same nonchalance with which she flings her bags and coats on Andy's desk each morning). The dowdy assistant undergoes a swanlike transformation and comes thisclose to selling out her good girl, pseudo-intellectual beliefs before coming to her senses and giving Runway - and her boss from you-know-where - the Chanel boot.
But all this takes a very long time, and between the New York skyline opener and Paris-at-night climax, viewers must watch the heroine's friends whine because she's ignoring them for her job (Hel-lo, it's called work for a reason), listen as Andy is told, ad nauseum, "A million girls would kill for this job," see her battle with Miranda's snarky, fashion-obsessed first assistant, and wait to feel an ounce of empathy for our heroine's supposedly horrific plight.
This never happens, as Hathaway, while stunning, just isn't up to the task of making the audience feel her pain. And why is this Joan Didion wannabe never shown writing anything or reading a book? The lack of focus on Andy's literary leanings make the character's self-righteous rejection of Runway at movie's end feel unsatisfying and hollow. Enough with the plot, you say. What about the clothes? Yes, well, about that...
Throughout the film, there is a parade of wince-inducing fashion missteps. In addition to the aforementioned Prada logo bag, Miranda's ill-advised jewelry and a laughably literal "urban jungle" photo shoot are particularly off-note, though costumer Patricia Field did get it right when outfitting the inherently unstylish Andy in a cacophony of instantly recognizable designer clothes - Chanel, Calvin Klein, Galliano and Dolce & Gabbana - borrowed from Runway's fashion closet.
"This is like an Afterschool Special about the fashion industry," said a fellow editor at the screening. "I felt like I was watching an episode of 'Felicity.'"
Exactly. "The Devil Wears Prada" will undoubtedly appeal to the millions of little (and not-so-little) girls who made Hathaway's "Princess Diaries" franchise such a hit. But this frothy, ultimately inconsequential film does not come anywhere near offering a realistic glimpse into the inner-workings of a fashion magazine, and as a comedy, the whole thing feels more forced than funny.
Streep, however, is almost worth the price of admission. Though her Miranda Priestly sports some of the tackiest accessories we've ever seen, she is also the best bad boss ever. The actress manages to infuse her comically condescending character with enough humanity, humor and pathos that viewers may leave the theater with more sympathy for the devil than for her beleaguered assistant.
"The Devil Wears Prada" opens in theaters nationwide on Friday, June 30, 2006

Ouch :doh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/fwd/20060628/en_fashion_fwd/the_devil_wears_prada_1

I'm seeing this in a half hour hopefully, and I can't wait. I read the book only a few days ago, and the casting looks great, and of course, the wardrobe will be fantastic, I'm sure!

Vanilla thanks for the article its the first negative review i read about the movie!Now i really cant wait to see it!:lol: :lol:

Just got home from the movie. Love, love, loveed it! So much better than the book. Better character development and better writting. I always thought the book seemed like gossip lit. The movied was a much better story, baised on the concept of the book. You ended up in some way admiering Miranda. The wardrobe was a bit costume and more of what people think the fashion world wears, but this is a movie and meant to be that.

sarah13 said:
Just got home from the movie. Love, love, loveed it! So much better than the book. Better character development and better writting. I always thought the book seemed like gossip lit. The movied was a much better story, baised on the concept of the book. You ended up in some way admiering Miranda. The wardrobe was a bit costume and more of what people think the fashion world wears, but this is a movie and meant to be that.

I agree entirely! I especially liked the introduction scene with the girls getting ready. I'll probably be seeing it again in the next few weeks...:blush:

I thought the storyline was a little cliche, but overall it was an ok movie. I never read the book so I can't say the movie is better, though I am hearing a lot that the movie is far better.

Meryl Streep is just amazing though. She is incredibly sensational what a Goddess lol. Anne Hathaway was good too.
I actually felt kind of sorry for Miranda, but at the same time I realized she was just a very powerful woman and thats how she dealt with things.

Do you guys think Anna Wintour is like that?

Loved the movie. Meryl delievered her insanely long monolouges flawlessly. And of course, the wardrobe wasn't too bad either :wink: .

I loved the movie. Loved loved loved everything about it, pretty much. However it really did not seem like a comedy to me. A few laughs here and there and that was it. Does anyone agree with me or is it just that I have no sense of humor.

Mr. Fabulous said:
I thought the storyline was a little cliche, but overall it was an ok movie. I never read the book so I can't say the movie is better, though I am hearing a lot that the movie is far better.

Meryl Streep is just amazing though. She is incredibly sensational what a Goddess lol. Anne Hathaway was good too.
I actually felt kind of sorry for Miranda, but at the same time I realized she was just a very powerful woman and thats how she dealt with things.

Do you guys think Anna Wintour is like that?
I think she is not exactly like Miranda but i think she probably is a difficult woman!

i LOVED it!!!:woot:
Much more than what i expected.My bf was pissed because he knows i want to work in the fashion industry and he is afraid that same thing happen between me and him about relationships..LOL

Saw it last night. Loved it.

I want to go see it again tomorrow.

the styling is great. I loved all of the Chanel accessories that Andy wore. Her make was great too.

I wonder if the person who wrote that above^ article read the book though??? I thought it was a good translation.

Its a fluffy, fashion book/movie. Some of these reviewers act like it's like the bible of the fashion industry or something.:rolleyes:

I mean it's slightly based on the experiences of the author in the fashion industry. But it's exaggerated and still FICTION!!!

"That's all"

haha my favourite part when Miranda was like "oh Emily" and looks her up and down and says "that's all"

there were actually quite a few people in that movie.. gisele bundchen, valentino, heidi klum

I loved the movie! Saw it last night. The book is great too.. more detail but I love how the movie incorporated different things. :heart:

Loooooved all the outfits.. oh yum. All those heels..

I used to not like Anne Hathaway but she's amazing in the film. So beautiful.

I saw it Friday night and was a bit disappointed. I thought the book was so much better. Of course, the book was more detailed and it made Miranda's character seem a lot nastier. I left the movie liking Meryl Streep, that was not suppose to happen.

i'm going to do see it tonight...
i think it'll be fitting that i wear my miu miu shoes:P

i haven't read the book, so i'm not going to compare. i honestly, just want to see the styling. i know i'll be disappointed, i've read enough articles and reviews, but i.have.to.

the fact that the clothes are what people think industry individuals wear sucks..honestly.

I ADORED it!!!

I could very much watch it again.... lovely :heart:
it has been a while since I had seen a movie that I diden't get bored through halfway

the clothes were incredible...!!

I am so bummed out! I tried to see it today and it was sold out already! I have to wait until tomorrow now. :(

Home Run!!!!

:woot: ^_^

"Superman" Returns, but "Devil" Surprises

AP - Superman Returns returned $52.1 million over the first three days of the extended Fourth of July holiday weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday, easily soaring into the top spot at the box office.
But in a masterstroke of counterprogramming, The Devil Wears Prada strutted into multiplexes with a $27 million in its Friday-Sunday debut, exceeding its distributors' forecasts.

Fox's PG-13 The Devil Wears Prada, the screen adaptation of Lauren Weisberger's roman a clef about the back-biting world of fashion publishing starring Meryl Streep as the formidable magazine editor and
Anne Hathaway as the naive assistant, was tailored to 2,847 sites, where it averaged $9,484. And that had the Fox suits fired up.

"Way beyond our expectations" exclaimed a delighted Bruce Snyder, distribution chief for Fox. "We were thinking something in the mid-teens." The audience, 79 percent female and 61 percent 25 and over, reportedly "loved the movie," and the feeling is that "more men will go" as the response to female reports of "a really good time" take hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->