The Many Misconceptions About Models

notmanons

Reaction score
What are the many misconceptions about models that your friends/family etc make? Why are they wrong?

Ok, it really bugs me when people are like:
-They all get plastic surgery
etc etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was telling this girl about Natalia Vodianova and how she was scouted selling fruit/veg on the street and my friend has not even seen a picture of her.
:rofl: :rolleyes:

unintelligent is the worst, i think.
bitchy
don't work hard/ much.

not sure a bout all :ninja:

That they have to be extremely gorgeous, people don't understand that designers sometimes prefer someone interesting or charismatic and they don't look for a very perfect face most of the time (hence the "oh, but she's not so pretty" commentaries).

Also that they are something unachievable in terms of looks or that only the hot girl in the class is the one who can aspire to look similar to them, when probably it's the opposite. The only girls I have known who could have modelled where the ones considered too lanky/skinny and not exactly the most popular/supposedly pretty ones.

And of course, that they don't work, they're stupid, they are ignorant....

that its so easy to be a model and take pictures, anorexics, ugly or weird, that they have plastic surgery (my mom always says that most of them have nose jobs! haha)

Some people also think that models are only selling themselves and being glammed up hos which is really sad and really really untrue in my opinion.

my mum was looking through vogue paris and she kept saying that lara stone had a boob job....:lol:

how is it fair to call models bitchy and self-absorbed?? ^ :unsure::huh:

I think sometimes misconceptions are true, but of course we can't generalize. :blush:

1. bitchy and stupid ~ yes, i met such girls and i cannot stand them, but at the same time most of the models i met are clever, modest and lovely. ^_^
2. modeling job is easy, just standing in front of the camera ~ well.. try to pose and be perfect for half a day or one day long in cold wearing just a little dress and you will change your mind :flower:

4. models earn a lot ~ some do, but most models have a lot of outcome while they don't earn that much. not to mention they pay tax + they pay for the agency.. i'm happy when i get 50% of the whole amount.. :(
5. models = b*tches ~ maybe it's only in Hungary, but lot of people think like that. it must be cause whenever i see playboy girls on tv they call them models.. :angry:

It think it can't be said that all are one way or that they aren't at all. I mean, if there are these misconceptions is because of some scandals that have happened in the industry.

It can't be denied that some models are chosen because they are naïve and young, and so they are like that in every aspect. Also, they are teenagers and they are way from home, so they don't have their parents control and can be influenced more easily. I mean, when I was 16, me and 49 of my high school mates went on a trip with the teachers, and of those 50, we were only 5 the ones who didn't smoke, drink. And it was only one week away from home.

So true... all of these are misconceptions that average Americans believe and swear by.

It's amusing when people that don't know anything about modeling (or other things) act as if they do, when in fact they are just buying into these "wonderful" stereotypes. :rolleyes::angry:

I can't even mention my interest in models/advances/aspirations in modeling to my friends because the belief of these misconceptions is so deep it is like an alter-truth these days. :angry:

that models are dumb. and being interested in models ( like myself ) is very dumb and shallow .. i hear it all the time :cry:

^ I heard it even here on tfs.. Somebody mentioned it's sad model threads are so popular when it should be about fashion.. :blush:

^ yea i read some posts like this here too... maybe we are shallow after all :bounce:

people don't realize that modeling is just like any other job.
you really have to work... to stand for like 12 hours on high heels with heavy make up in some weird pose, just to get like 4 photos is not real fun.
but,most people i know do not think of models as stupid, but these girls barely finish high school...and that gives credit to some other people to call them dumb.

^ Maybe it's different here but all of my model knowns are university students (my male model knowns are mostly medical students which means they really must have brain to be there :blush:) and the younger models are finishing high school and studing for university entrance exam. When something comes up, they ask the head teacher's approval and travel to work and study later for the exams or they finish semester later.
Of course i'm not saying you are not right. :flower: I'm sure you are, but luckily there are good examples too. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cherriesheep
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->