The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmelanie said:
im kind of resurrecting this thread..or attempting too..but i just wanted to know if any of you guys wear skinny jeans? i have straight leg jeans and i love them..especially with my white hi top all stars...

and what jean brands do you guys like? i wear abercrombie religiously (although they got rid of the 14s a few years back..those bastards...i wear the 12s) and i have 1 pair of sevens..they fit just ok..

but i ordered some lux jeans from urbn..im just praying i can fit my hips in them...

I have decided to pass on the skinnies. I am bottom-heavy (big hips and thighs), so I stick to dark trouser-cut jeans w/a bit of flare at the bottom.

I just googled Torrid (of which I never heard before, I'm not American) and thre 'tagline' is; Torrid.com is a sexy fashion brand which empowers plus size young women, to feel beautiful and feminine.
As a plus size girl this always irritates me little, because it implies that being big isn't bad, but still they sell underwear and clothing which is suposed to make you look slimmer!? Am I the only one who thinks this is a paradox?

i see what you are saying kan-i-ta, but i dont think its anything insulting, maybe instead of thinking that its supposed to make you look "slimmer" think about it that it flatters your body. anyone who wears flattering clothes look slimmer simply because the clothes compliment their bodies, you know what i mean.

i havent even looked at skinny jeans. they make models look bad, what are they gonna look like one me you know. i dont even want to try it

masquerade said:
I havent even looked at skinny jeans. they make models look bad, what are they gonna look like one me you know. i dont even want to try it

Abso f-ing lutely!!!:shock:

i just got my skinny jeans from urbn in the mail and they look awesome!! cant wait for the fall..its just too hot now...

what are some other designers you guys like??personally marc jacobs fits me like a glove...dolce, and donna karan..:flower:

^^
I'm in my 40s and am into classics. Designers I favor include Oscar de la Renta and Bill Blass (I have a couple of wool crepe jackets purchased at resale stores, one is from Spring 1999, which was one of BB's last collections, I believe. And I just found a pair of Oscar silk charmeuse evening pants for $20 at Loehmann's.) If I can find Carolina Herrera, I'd buy it. If I want Michael Kors, I will stick to knitted sweaters.

astatine said:
But it's one of those things that are easier said than done though...I know I've fallen prey to it myself before (and I'm what people usually term a 'small' size) :ninja:
oh me too. especially when i was gaining weight this past school year.

when i was smaller i loved marc by mj. I still have a bunch of stuff but i cant wear it atm, hopefully soon. i dont really have money for designer stuff, i just tend to buy stuff from department stores, dont focus too much on labels

I'm 5' 3" and have to go to a beach wedding in September that will be in California. I wear a size 12/14 and have no idea what I can wear that won't make me look huuuuuge! Any ideas?

texastess said:
I'm 5' 3" and have to go to a beach wedding in September that will be in California. I wear a size 12/14 and have no idea what I can wear that won't make me look huuuuuge! Any ideas?

Why don't you try Tommy Bahama? I find their silk campshirts to be flattering, and perhaps they'd be appropriate for a beach wedding, with a skirt or capris, and maybe some glittery flip-flops :wink: If they don't have your size they can (try to) get it in for you. I've noticed that they often still have the XL, so that would work to your advantage ...

texastess said:
it depends on what part of the month and where in california its going to be, because the weather can be drastically diffferent based on that.

Maybe a wrap dress?

^ I think that sounds good, as long as wraps are flattering on you ... not so much on me.

Should I wear short sleeves, sleveless, or 3/4 sleeves? I think short sleeves generally look pretty bad on me. My arms aren't great, but they aren't horrible either.

I recommend 3/4 sleeves. i think sleveless are really only for the very thin, and short sleeves make everyone look matronly

and have fun with the shoes! They're the best part

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been some great posts in this thread. Very cute. I love Torrid but I haven't ordered anything from there yet. I'm a big Lane Bryant fan, and Cato's Plus... I love Old Navy I think there is a store around where I live that goes up to size 26 but I'm not sure.. I normally shop at LB, Cato's, and .. Walmart lol Hey, walmart can have some nice stuff.

I've been surprised by wal-mart lately. They just built a "supercenter" near where I live, and when I'm shopping for groceries, and shampoo, and electronics, and tires, and socks I can't help but notice that Some of their "George" brand stuff is cute, and doesn't look too cheap

of course all their shoes are crap, but you have to give them credit- the clothes are improving

texastess said:
Should I wear short sleeves, sleveless, or 3/4 sleeves? I think short sleeves generally look pretty bad on me. My arms aren't great, but they aren't horrible either.

Hi Texastess. Monterey California can be pretty cool in September so you may want to wear something where you can have a gorgeous (say silk) sweater draped over your arms.

Also this is my first post on this thread and feel bad that it took me so long to find all of you. I'm 5'2" and for the past two years have been a size16/18. I'm 45, with my own income so I'd love to be able to buy true designer wear, but like many of you I concentrate on handbags (I'm an Hermes fan) shoes and jewelry to look stylish. I read all the way through this thread and was very happy to learn that Oscar de la Renta and a few other designers make clothes in larger sizes. That's good to know.

Thanks for all of your postings on this thread, I'll be back to make more contributions.:flower:

stilettogirl84 said:
I've been surprised by wal-mart lately. They just built a "supercenter" near where I live, and when I'm shopping for groceries, and shampoo, and electronics, and tires, and socks I can't help but notice that Some of their "George" brand stuff is cute, and doesn't look too cheap

of course all their shoes are crap, but you have to give them credit- the clothes are improving

Oh yea. I very find cute shoes from there.. and when I do they skip right over size 11 and I'm like.. dude.. wtf.. I'm not size 10, and I'm not size 12 lol

I also hate how most of the bigger sized shoes are heels, I can't walk in the thin heels I have to have thick ones and a good size sole on the shoes or I'll fall on my booty. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->