The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, i was wondering, what are your guys' favorite cuts in everything? skirts, jeans, shirts, dresses? what do you thinks most flattering

Some of my Faves-

Wrap tops are great
I love deep deep v necks or scoopnecks. w/ something underneath
Cardigans are good, but only if buttoned low, not at the neck
I used to wear a lot of ribbed turtlenecks, but lately I've got a bit bloatly and they give me a double chin look
Nice structured dress shirts- buttondowns- great if they have some darts to give them shape (otherwise they gap at my t*ts:(ninja:

I love knee length pencil skirts, and A line skirts both
Pants- I like wide legs, and I used to wear a lot of flare leg- they'll come back within the next few years I think-they really are the most flattering if you have hips.-I hope this d*mn 80's thing is almost over- always flat fronted, not high waisted, not low waisted, right in between

I like wrap dresses, and if I wear little spaghetti strap tops or dresses, I wear a cardi over them to cover my arms which are a bit flabby:doh:

jeans- right now I'm wearing straight cut. I eagerly await the day when flares come back. I want to dress to make me look good. Fashion is secondary to that, and tapered jeans on anyone with hips is:sick:
I REFUSE to wear tapered jeans, and I want my jeans to cover most of my shoe, not bunch at the ankle

Avoid like the plague

-pleated pants- anything blousy, or "bubble" skirts. Why add bulk?:blink: I want to stramline my shape.

ankle boots or ankle straps with skirts- they make my legs look all stumpy

on me- Short sleeves- I always do 3/4 or long- I have nice wrists, the upper bit though is :sick:

minis

bermudas-tapered pants- make me look like an ice cream cone

To the size 10 question, Marina Rinaldi's 19s are basically a 10W. I have never seen any American manufacturer make a 10W. Talbots Woman, which I think is probably way too old-skewing for most posters, starts at 12W.

stilettogirl84, i agree about taper. that look doesnt even look good on very thin people in my opinion.

ive always worn boot legged jeans for the most part. im kinda weary of strait leg, maybe i just havent found the best pair.

stilettogirl84 said:
UK 10 is a US 6

US 10 is a UK 14

thank you! so i would be a us 4 then..weird. i cannot believe such sizes as 0 exist, ugh! that's just unhealthy. i wouldn't consider uk 14 as even remotely near fat either..

The new Mo'nique movie is called "Phat Girlz." Haven't seen it yet, but I know it's out in theaters. I would definitely recommend hitting up vintage shops or your local Value Village for some great finds in plus size clothing. I find the greatest skirts and tops there, and even if you want to have them tailored, the clothes will still be a bargain!

i went to torrid today cuz i needed a pair of black pants for a job, anyway, i didnt find any pants, but i did get a really cute heathered purple jersey wrap dress. really flattering

What is the quality at Torrid like? Is it kind of an H&M-esque thing? There isn't one any where near me so I can't go check out the stuff personally.

My issue is with quality. Stores like H&M seem to stock larger sizes but alot of times I've found that the quality is either cheap or just plain awful.

Which designers stock plus sizes? Most designers seem to cut off at size 10 -12 but I've heard that:

- Chanel : Up to size 20 I read this in the Vogue Shape issue correct me if I'm wrong, I wonder since I know sir Karl's feelings on anyone who isn't whippet thin
- Oscar De La Renta : Up to size 20
- Marc Jacobs : Size 14
- Burberry : Size 16

Any others?

I'm seriously considering putting together a blog about high quality plus sized fashions. I know there are fabulous things out there, we just have to find them :D

It pisses me off that NONE of the hip denim lines caters to larger sizes. Absolutely none, its downright annoying. I don't see why its so had to find a nice pair of jeans and/or why one should be stuck with limited options when there's a huge boom in denim right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that torrid was rather along the lines of HotTopic??

-and as for chanel- I have trouble believing that as Karls kind of a b*tch about "fat" people now that he's all skinny...

torrid is owned by hottopic.

i should add that in addition to making their own clothes, they also carry other brands, so quality will differ. i got the "z. cavarrici" jeans from torrid, and they are decently made in my opinion

Luxx said:
What is the quality at Torrid like? Is it kind of an H&M-esque thing? There isn't one any where near me so I can't go check out the stuff personally.

My issue is with quality. Stores like H&M seem to stock larger sizes but alot of times I've found that the quality is either cheap or just plain awful.

Which designers stock plus sizes? Most designers seem to cut off at size 10 -12 but I've heard that:

- Chanel : Up to size 20 I read this in the Vogue Shape issue correct me if I'm wrong, I wonder since I know sir Karl's feelings on anyone who isn't whippet thin
- Oscar De La Renta : Up to size 20
- Marc Jacobs : Size 14
- Burberry : Size 16

Any others?

I'm seriously considering putting together a blog about high quality plus sized fashions. I know there are fabulous things out there, we just have to find them :D

It pisses me off that NONE of the hip denim lines caters to larger sizes. Absolutely none, its downright annoying. I don't see why its so had to find a nice pair of jeans and/or why one should be stuck with limited options when there's a huge boom in denim right now.

Chanel does go up to 20, but I think that's the classic suits we're talking about. And the high-fashion folks who skew older in their clientele do go up to 20 -- I have seen Chado Ralph Rucci, Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta 20s at Last Call Neiman Marcus and Off Fifth.
Armani Collezioni goes up to 16.
All are missy fits. For woman fit, I think of Marina Rinaldi (a MaxMara unit).
I am mainly a bridge sportswear wearer, but I'm an older careerist. I have my own complaints, but I will keep them quiet.:lol:

umm, Dorthy Perkins? I guess is that a british designer? if so then your conversion would be right- though sizing varies even from brand to brand in every country...

wow! I really love this stuff! and it's pretty cheap too-

too bad they ship to uk only :(

Yeah. They have really nice stuff. And its a pity they ship to UK only. :( I live in the Philippines so I try to just catch their stuff in the Dorothy Perkins stores here. There's this one shirt I really wanted - it had a mock vest over a pinstriped shirt and necktie. So so cool. But I didn't catch it when it was available here. :(

classic1908 said:
Chanel does go up to 20, but I think that's the classic suits we're talking about. And the high-fashion folks who skew older in their clientele do go up to 20 -- I have seen Chado Ralph Rucci, Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta 20s at Last Call Neiman Marcus and Off Fifth.
Armani Collezioni goes up to 16.
All are missy fits. For woman fit, I think of Marina Rinaldi (a MaxMara unit).
I am mainly a bridge sportswear wearer, but I'm an older careerist. I have my own complaints, but I will keep them quiet.:lol:

I didn't know that about Marina Rinaldi! Their other stuff runs extremely small (1-2 sizes), so it's a good think they have it :rolleyes:

C'mon, air those complaints, let's hear 'em :wink:

^^
OK. A preponderance of cropped pants (in mass plus stores) drives me nuts. I am 5'9" and long-legged. Give me a full-length pant any day.

Lack of dresses/suiting that comes in natural fibers. I love the sheath and jacket look you see on New York Social Diary. The ruffled/boho/romance look doesn't work for me.

And a specific one to me: Nordstrom in South Coast Plaza needs to have bridge stuff (for example, Tesori, Dana Buchman), NOT a predominance of "better/moderate" brands. You can get that mess at other places. :angry:

classic1908 said:
^^
OK. A preponderance of cropped pants (in mass plus stores) drives me nuts. I am 5'9" and long-legged. Give me a full-length pant any day.

Lack of dresses/suiting that comes in natural fibers. I love the sheath and jacket look you see on New York Social Diary. The ruffled/boho/romance look doesn't work for me.

totally! I'm not only "big boned" but also very tall, and almost all my pants have to be ordered online to get enough length ( Cause I still love to wear heels... :blush:)

and the ruffled boho thing :sick: - Blech- I want to smoth and slim and streamline my shape, not make myself look like a baggy frilly sack...

tifa said:
thank you! so i would be a us 4 then..weird. i cannot believe such sizes as 0 exist, ugh! that's just unhealthy. i wouldn't consider uk 14 as even remotely near fat either..

Hi Tifa,

What you said is kind of sizist. There are people who are naturally size 0s because they're very fine boned (and definitely not sick)
. Usually, these people are a little shorter than average too. Another issue is the way things are sized. Retailers won't admit to vanity sizing, but in many clothing stores, a size 0 is really a size 2 according to their size charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acctforstylethings
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"