The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clothes sizes also p*ss me! :P

Like for instance, you go to Mango and everything is really small, and then you go to H&M and everything seems the way a proper sizing should be...
And the trousers jeans in Zara are allways really small compared to the rest of the clothes.

I really don´t get it...Although with AsYouLikeIT explanation i understood a bit more.

I just hate to go into a shop and having to take at least 2 sizes of everything i want to try because the sizes vary so much.
I also don´t get how some shops say they do bigger sizes and then what they do is to reduce the normal sizes to tiny clothes!!! :o

Anyway, i really think that a size M is in fact a S and that if you go to the kids department you find that the top you just saw in the womens section is the size of a kids 10 year old shirt!!! Aren´t we suppose to grow up?!?!?!

To finish off my rant... I also don´t get why most of the pret a porter made is done for boobless women!... :D

Just wanted to say that Im really glad I found this thread - I think it's great! I too, obviously, am plus sized, and live for fashion. I love to shop and have a lot of things custom made... thankfully, Im good friends with a few local designers :wink:

I like to look at being plus sized as a challenge to look good. Every morning is a challenge to look through my closet and put together cute outfits, make myself look amazing. A not-so-depressing way to look at it :wink:

That's awesome that you're friends with Local designers... they should start up a plus-sized line!

i think designers don't pay enough attention to plus sizes and if they do design them most of the time they dont look like what other people are wearing at the moment, they think they have to look differnt when plus sizes should be what everyone else is wearing just in a bigger size.

renyoj said:
I've been frustrated at trying to buy fashionable, flattering clothes for so long that I'm thinking quite seriously about starting my own line. I would love to hear comments on what you can't find or what you hate about what you can find.
I'm the same way! I'm 20 and have a hard time finding "fashionable" clothes. I can still wear jr. sizes but I have a gut. It looks like I'm preggers (which, I've gotten The question a few times :cry: ). So, those expreiences have motivated me to think of what would look go on me. BAsically just average sizes in fashionable, flattering shapes.
But to really answwer your statement, I'd love to find something that hides my "spare tire". That'd be GREAT!

Normally I just lurk, but I had to post this...

Crystal Renn, on the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier spring 06, from style.com

Attachments

• crystal.jpg
    crystal.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread!

Luckily, it is easier to find fashionable plus-sized clothing these days. Everybody from Target to Saks Fifth Avenue has stuff - it all depends on your price range.

I like the old standards, like Lane Bryant. I tend to spend more on purses and shoes. It was good to see that other people on this thread do the same thing! :flower:

LifeNatureLove said:
I'm the same way! I'm 20 and have a hard time finding "fashionable" clothes. I can still wear jr. sizes but I have a gut. It looks like I'm preggers (which, I've gotten The question a few times :cry: ). So, those expreiences have motivated me to think of what would look go on me. BAsically just average sizes in fashionable, flattering shapes.
But to really answwer your statement, I'd love to find something that hides my "spare tire". That'd be GREAT!

You might find (or ask for) some tips in the "curvy" thread :flower:

Curvy Plus Designer - Elena Miro

0013uo.jpg
0028da.jpg

0034oz.jpg
0059pq.jpg

0079uf.jpg
0061ny.jpg

photos from elenamiro.com

How freaking gorgeous are those models??? I love those clothes, too. Gorgeous.

Thanks, bagnthings :flower: I really like some of this ... particularly the green dress, the black dress, and the solid green and black separates ... quite nice!

my biggest problem with every single plus size runway show is that they try way too hard to make the girls seems soooooo sexy....
there is a mentality that if you are bigger, so are your boobs and butt...so you might as well show them off...
but i just think it's just cheap and unflattering...
those pencil skirts are just way too tight and it makes the girls looks like stuffed sausages...
**kind of how i look in a gucci dress...:ninja:...

i don't think it's very nice tha even on the runway they are squeezing girls into clothes a size too small...
i'd like everything better if it all fit better...

but thanks for the contribution ta-ta...
this thread doesn't see nearly enough action...

so-do we think there are a lot of girls who are a size 14-24 who are really fashion-oriented...
and with a budget that allows them to indulge...
is there really this huge untapped market for plus size women who aren't being serviced properly?...

i'm wondering...:ermm:...
what do you guys think?...

softgrey said:
my biggest problem with every single plus size runway show is that they try way too hard to make the girls seems soooooo sexy....
there is a mentality that if you are bigger, so are your boobs and butt...so you might as well show them off...
but i just think it's just cheap and unflattering...
those pencil skirts are just way too tight and it makes the girls looks like stuffed sausages...
**kind of how i look in a gucci dress...:ninja:...

i don't think it's very nice tha even on the runway they are squeezing girls into clothes a size too small...
i'd like everything better if it all fit better...

but thanks for the contribution ta-ta...
this thread doesn't see nearly enough action...

so-do we think there are a lot of girls who are a size 14-24 who are really fashion-oriented...
is there really this huge untapped market for plus size women who aren't being serviced properly?...

Btw, bagsnthings posted the runway pics :flower:

Apparently The Gap thinks this is an important market ... and remember the stats with that story ... 70 PERCENT of women 35 and older are size 12 and above.

That's a huge number. Most of those women have jobs, have disposable income, and need clothes to wear to those jobs (not to mention the rest of their lives, but jobs are def not clothing optional :P).

The market is definitely not completely untapped, but it's definitely underserved.

I have friends and colleagues who are part of this market, and their wardrobes are definitely not all they could be ... and it's not because they're not spending money.

Now I wasn't a big fan of the pencil skirts either, but in general, I thought this was a very effective take on plus size, esp the looks I mentioned.

oops sorry-thanks for correcting me and thanks to :bagsnthings: for the pics...

:flower:

I'm a size 12... sometimes higher depending on how things are cut.

and yes, I think there is a HUGE MARKET for plus sized designer clothes... considering there are very few out there.

I'm glad Gap has at least realized this... a few other stores cater to size 12 and above too... but clothes shopping must've been HORRIFIC a few years ago for women my size.

Yes, there really is a huge untapped market... sure, places like GAP and others are trying to fill some of the need (and bless them for their efforts), but as far as really special, well-cut pieces (as some designer items are) there are thousands of women out there waiting for that to be filled.

Many fashion savvy plus-size women have massive collections of great shoes and bags and other accessories not only out of a love of accessories, but because clothing of a comparable "level" just isn't out there in their size, and they don't have the time or the knowledge to go about creating it for themselves...

softgrey said:

I agree, the clothes are very nice, but yes, now that you mentioned it the skirts are too tight. I agree that they should fit properly and be neither too tight or too loose.

Plus size choices have gotten better, but clothing manufacturers still have a longggg way to go. If you are size 0 to 6 you can be ultra chic, those options and wide range of choices are just not there for the plus size market. I know b/c I use to wear a size 12/14; so I know what the racks look like -- in comparation to the petite section of a fine department store.

And just to be clear ... while apparently considering shocking! by many :D, sizes 12-14, and indeed a few sizes above (unless designated women's sizes), are misses or missy sizes, not plus sizes. But bagsnthings makes an excellent point ... even a size 12 is often considered outsize in the high-fashion market. I often have difficulty finding my size (10), which is astonishingly ridiculous in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->