The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for the response, fashionista! My much more fashionable friend helped me out. She also said the gauchos looked nice, but it's so weird, almost like they make you look shorter!!!

I've been wanting to try that bra brand. I can never find a comfortable strapless bra. I use Jeanique Smoothie bras, they were an awesome find :smile:

Buggy,I have the same sizes as you have. I have also recently bought some culottes. I wear them with high heeled shoe boots or pumps and I've had compliments.

I have DD cup,and I wear Fantasie strapless bras,which you can get from Bravissimo.com...though that's UK based so it's probably not that convenient for you. I'll look out for the brand that ta-ta's mentioned too!!

buggy said:
Those models are all like 10 feet tall. I'm a size 10 bottom and a size 14 top (I'm not a fan of the chest, no). Gauchos are not for short chubby folks, I can't wear tube tops because it's unflattering with my chest. Spaghetti straps look dumb. I'm lost. I am looking for an outfit to wear to a Christmas party and I can't think of anything flattering. :(

Okay you are larger on the top than the bottom. So you are a reverse triangle body type.

You probably do not want to add any bulk to your upper body. If you do decided to go with a sweater, you should go with a more lightweight design and even out the weight of the sweater with a more substantially bottom/skirt. Make sure the skirt or pant you buy balances out your upper body. Even it out with an A-line skirt with a straight hem or a boot cut pair of pant. Dressing so that your body looks more in proportion with clean uncomplicated design.^_^

::Blows Dust Off of Thread::

Hi guys, anyone know of any places in New York where a girl can buy great plus sized clothing? Something stylish and modern particularly for a young person. Most of the stuff I see seems to be catered to older people or just looks plain frumpy. I like some of the stuff on the Elena Miro website but I don't see any US locations that carry it.

Where do you girls do your shopping?

just a random comment...
but i recently heard someone refer to this as 'extended sizes'...
which i thought sounded pretty good actually...

just thought i'd share...:flower:...

Luxx said:
::Blows Dust Off of Thread::

Hi guys, anyone know of any places in New York where a girl can buy great plus sized clothing? Something stylish and modern particularly for a young person. Most of the stuff I see seems to be catered to older people or just looks plain frumpy. I like some of the stuff on the Elena Miro website but I don't see any US locations that carry it.

Where do you girls do your shopping?

Have you tried Saks' Salon Z? It does have clothes for mature (career) women, but I thought it also had a pretty good range.

What do you guys think of Torrid? (I've only seen the ads.)

^^
I have seen some Torrid, and to me (I'm 41), it looks rather youngish and trendish. My soror, who is nearly 30, has purchased party things and casual stuff from there. I'm still a Salon Z/Encore (Nordstrom) type gal.

Elana Miro Fall 2006 Collection

em14bv.jpg
em24tk.jpg

em36iv.jpg
em42hq.jpg

em56el.jpg

fashionista-ta said:
What do you guys think of Torrid? (I've only seen the ads.)

Torrid has great T-shirts. I get almost all of mine there. But their jeans and pants tend to be too big on me.

fashionista-ta said:
And just to be clear ... while apparently considering shocking! by many :D, sizes 12-14, and indeed a few sizes above (unless designated women's sizes), are misses or missy sizes, not plus sizes.

still- ask the petite salesgirl at Saks if that Prada Dress comes in sz 14- and she'll laugh till she's blue in the face:cry:

bagsandthings, thanks for those pics. that last dress is truly beautiful

im greatful for this thread. i am just finishing my first yeare of college, and needless to say, ive gained weight. i know i will lose weight over the summer, but even at my smallest iwas a size ten which is large to some, but i was healthy, curvy, and ive always had huge boobs which make it hard to buy tops almost always

what sucks is that even at ten, its harder to find stuff and nicer things tend to run smaller

as for torrid, i think its a good store. they carry common brands in plus sizes, so for me, i like that more, it makes it less set apart. its younger. i dunno if that makes sense.

i have these jeans from torrid which are really cute and comfy.

588576_hi
torrid.com

masquerade said:
bagsandthings, thanks for those pics. that last dress is truly beautiful

im greatful for this thread. i am just finishing my first yeare of college, and needless to say, ive gained weight. i know i will lose weight over the summer, but even at my smallest iwas a size ten which is large to some, but i was healthy, curvy, and ive always had huge boobs which make it hard to buy tops almost always

what sucks is that even at ten, its harder to find stuff and nicer things tend to run smaller

as for torrid, i think its a good store. they carry common brands in plus sizes, so for me, i like that more, it makes it less set apart. its younger. i dunno if that makes sense.

i have these jeans from torrid which are really cute and comfy.
:flower: yup, i know how you feel. im a 14-16 now because i've gained weight during my junior and senior yrs of high school. in 10th grade i was a 10 and i was still considered a chubby kid, but i thought i was pretty hot, lol. but yeah i'm heading off to college in october and i wanna lose weight and get back to a 10, but still a 10 is considered plus at some places.

when you say size 10, do you mean size 10 US? what is this in british size i'm wondering because if it's the same, i'm shocked! 10 here is slim.

stilettogirl84 said:
still- ask the petite salesgirl at Saks if that Prada Dress comes in sz 14- and she'll laugh till she's blue in the face:cry:

would slapping her be illegal? :wink: shouldn't be ... :P

tifa said:
when you say size 10, do you mean size 10 US? what is this in british size i'm wondering because if it's the same, i'm shocked! 10 here is slim.

Yes, it's different from UK sizes, don't remember all the details, but your numbers are bigger. But the average American woman 35 and over is a 12, so this size is below average. And size 10 is *not* a plus size.

Wow i love the torrid site!!!

Great fashionable clothes for plus size girls..
I have a size 20.. i am on a diet right now so hope to lose weight.
But till then i do wanne look great off course.

Think im gonne order some clothes from that site

I loooove these

photos credited to : torrid.com

Last edited by a moderator:

UK 10 is a US 6

US 10 is a UK 14

I know 10 is not a plus sized, but many companies consider it. I mean, torrid has on their windows 10+. i know its not skinny, ive always been full figured, i know it, but its not plus sized. its curvy

509923_hi
I like this top, but i dont know how it will look in real life. the way the model is posing is not like how people stand in real life really.
542150_hi
I have this one. its longer on me than the model. anyway, its really nice casual tshirt to just wear with some jeans and funky jewerly to class.
590586_hi
I like this vest too
torrid.com

so, i was wondering, what are your guys' favorite cuts in everything? skirts, jeans, shirts, dresses? what do you thinks most flattering

I love that site! glad i looked in this topic!:P

They also send it international so thats great:woot:

But you have to get a creditcard to order, so im gonne get one soon!:blush:
They dont have such cool clothes for plus sizes here..:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam