The Runaways

Scout T.C. confirmed yesterday that The Runaways are going to premiere at Sundance. :smile:

Thanks to dajrekshn

A picture from the set, and some quotes from Joan:

14dfuva.jpg

In the current issue of Entertainment Weekly, the mag went on the set of 36 movie and television shows to snap behind-the-scenes pics and dish with Hollywood's finest including Joan Jett on location of Kristen Stewart's "The Runaways" (KStew is pictured with director Floria Sigismondi below in a photo from the EW issue, which is out this week) and the adorable Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant on the set of "Did You Hear About The Morgans?"

If you've been keeping up with "Runaways" gossip, you know Joan Jett was a constant fixture on the set—it is her biopic after all! But watching Kristen and her fellow "New Moon" costar Dakota Fanning channel her and her '70s girl group was an unusual experience for the music legend. "It's really hard to put exact words on it beyond saying it’s surreal,” Joan explained.

To help Kristen with her portrayal, Joan gave her tapes of herself talking and singing at the age of 14, which Kristen spent weeks listening to.

“I’m sure it was a strange pressure [on Kristen],” Joan said of her constant presence on set. “She was kind of intimidated by it, but by the same token she wanted me there.”

hollywoodcrush.mtv.com

Here's the full EW article:

kstewartfan.org

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the scan!
can't believe that the movie still doesn't have a release date. seems it really is a small indie movie.

^ Yeah, and I think it would be an even smaller indie film if it didn't have Kristen acting in it. All of those paparazzi pictures that were taken everyday during filming really helped to increase the profile of the film.

Hopefully it will get a release date soon!

Some set pictures from Hannah Marks' website (she plays Tammy in the film).

30k7tck.jpg

34rev7d.jpg

Hannah, Joan, Kristen and Dakota also attended the New Moon premiere.

hannahmarks.com
twitter.com/hannahmarks
community.livejournal.com/twilightxchange

oh wow, i like the first pic you posted. at first sight i thought it's really a photo of the runaways from the '70s. :lol:

thanks!

from imdb:

*Riley Keough is the granddaughter of Elvis. Believe it or not, she isn't the only rock royalty scion in this film. Hannah Marks, who plays Joan's friend Tammy, is the grandkid of Ernie Ball, founder of the largest manufacturer of electric guitar strings in the United States.

*Scout Taylor-Compton and Michael Shannon both have experience sleeping on park benches. Her when she ran away from home, and him when he was homeless.

*The guy in charge of the seventies props at the prop house they used just so happens to be a mega diehard Runaways fan who saw them on their Japanese tour. Because of this, he was brought on set to consult on the verisimilitude of the Japan scenes.

*When Joan sued Jackie for allegedly "meddling" with the development of this film, the papers were addressed to Jackie at the Eclipse Law Corporation. Dakota and Kristen's next film together after this is Eclipse, the third in the Twilight series.

*The director's sister appears in Joan's first scene, as the 'Rockabilly Saleswoman'.

*The guy who plays Joan's guitar teacher was in Foxes with Cherie.

*Riley Keough (plays Cherie's sister) and Tatum O'Neal (plays Cherie's mom) both lost iconic former step-parents on the same day, when Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on June 25th, five days into shooting.

*The actresses portraying the band are all musicians in real life. Kristen plays the guitar, Stella and Scout drum, Alia and Dakota play the piano, and Dakota also plays the violin.

*Anachronism that no one cares about: In the scene where the band comes to pick up Cherie for their first tour, Lita is wearing a shirt of Kiss's Love Gun album which came out June 30th, 1977. In June of 77 the Runaways were touring Japan, which was their most successful tour and the last featuring the 'Famous Five' line-up. By the end of that summer, Jackie and Cherie had left the band.

The Runaways possibly at SXSW!

And now for the one everybody asks about. The Runaways. The Joan Jett biopic for which Kristen so famously cut her hair. Of all the projects KStew has next year, this is the one with the least known info. I can tell you that the first cut was just completed last week, so the Two By Stew Sundance is still wishful thinking (some day…). However, rumors have begun circulating of a March release for The Runaways, and while the official line regarding its release is that the date is still to be determined, the South by Southwest festival down in Austin is in March. SXSW has a long history of premiering rock/music-centric films, plus Cherie Currie’s autobiography, on which the movie is based, is being re-released in March. So I’ll make an educated guess that The Runaways bows at SXSW and then gets released shortly thereafter. There is currently no distribution for this film, either, but interest is *very* high, and there will likely be a bidding war to distribute it. This is also another movie that could garner some awards-season hardware. It is produced by River Road Entertainment, who has previously taken films all the way to the Oscars (Brokeback Mountain, Into the Wild). For the record, yes, Kristen and the other actresses will be playing and singing for themselves in the movie. No dubbing!

yeah, plus they made into the non-competition category for sundance too, i don't get why this article dismissed that possibility since it was announced today.

two for stew movies this time! i'm way more hyped for this than RM, sorry. i really wanna see this movie (not sure will i though, since they still don't have a distributer).

i don't know...i LOVED both scripts, but the trailer for RM looks very promising. i'm still doubtful that kristen can "rock" this role, i believe with the right director, script and will rob is a better actor than kristen:ninja:
but i'll wait till i see the trailer and if kristen fails, there's still dakota to save the day :lol:

i haven't read either of the scripts (cus it kinda ruins the movie for me, hell RM is already ruined for me cus of the ppl on LJ not knowing how to alert spoilers talk :(), and yeah RM does look promising, but when i say hyped i meant like what i'm more in the mood of wanting to see first. i hope to see both, but runaways is far more interesting for me cus i'm into music and i really think that this will point out finally does kstew have it in her to really pull out the whole acting thing, or she'll be really a non-able-to-help case of actress. :( i have no doubts about dakota, i'm willing to bet she's gonna get an oscar in the next ten years (tops).
as for rob, i don't know if he's better that kristen (since i still haven't decided on her capacity as an actress, though i think she's pulled out the NM and that her acting has improved), but i do think he could be good as you said it, just with a right director and script (though his character in RM is, as he himself pointed out, basically rob himself).

Someone has seen a teaser of The Runaways and twittered about it =D

1zy9f1s.jpg

community.livejournal.com/kstewartfans

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently this is the poster (looks fan-made-ish though)
2h39efqjpg.png

twilightmb.proboards.com

it's looking good. :smile:

first screening was 2-3 days ago, first cut was made last week. :smile:
i want the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back