The Social Network

Anybody else not seen this? I feel like I'm the only one. And the worst part is that I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in it. I hate that I'm going to have to watch it since it's bound to sweep the awards, but I won't like it. It's just the type of movie (from the looks of it) I abhor. Obnoxious spoiled brats acting like obnoxious spoiled brats. Presence of Justin Timberlake only makes the matters worse. Ugh, WHY David Fincher? WHY???

in love with armie hammer right now. two identical hot, tall twins was too good to be true!

loved the movie. already watched it twice. might as well watch it again before finals...

^ Me too. I felt like Zuckerberg still wanted to be friends with Saverin, but he was too much of a proud a-hole to want to make amends (and I guess there's also the fact that getting sued can irreparably damage your friendship).

Anyone else here logged on to Facebook right after watching to check the Founders page and see if Saverin was there? Or was that just me? Haha.

^Lol. I'm upset by the end of their friendship as well.
Especially when I remember Eduardo coming over to check on Mark right after his breakup.

Eduardo: Are you alright?
Mark: I need you.
Eduardo: I'm here for you.

Except that a**hole of Mark was really after an algorithm:lol:

i don't know, calling mark an a**hole seems kinda black and white to me. during most of the movie i sympathised with him. (except the part with the diluted shares)

^Oh don't get me wrong. I don't think he's a complete a**hole. Not even in the movie.
Just like I don't think Eduardo in real life would be as sympathizable as the movie portrays him to be.
But you gotta admit that Mark does have that a**holeness in him.

Anybody else not seen this? I feel like I'm the only one. And the worst part is that I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in it.

same here. haven't watched it. everyone is talking about it and I actually thought I would watch it this week, but I can't bring myself to do it.:huh:

I went to bed after watching it for 40 minutes. But I'll give it another chance and see the rest of the movie today.

I've seen it a few weeks ago and I found it amazing how Mark is depicted as a blank character. Sure he is a genius at programming but he lacks so much of personality.
Finally, I don't know if he feels something at all. He looks down on every one else but he has no charisma himself. I ignore if it is on purpose.

^^I think that his main problem was that he was so antisocial and such a computer geek.

I just love that movie and how Jesse portrait Mark. It actually hurt me seen how Mark's and Eduardo's friendship end. I could feel Eduardo's pain and how Mark wanted to say something but he was to proud to admit it.

I think that the movie, Jesse and Andrew will be nominated for Oscars.

The King’s Speech leads with seven nominations, followed by The Fighter and The Social Network with six each.

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Jesse Eisenberg – The Social Network
Colin Firth – The King’s Speech
James Franco – 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling – Blue Valentine
Mark Wahlberg – The Fighter

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Christian Bale – The Fighter
Michael Douglas - Wall Street Money Never Sleeps
Andrew Garfield – The Social Network
Jeremy Renner – The Town
Geoffrey Rush – The King’s Speech

Best Director – Motion Picture
Darren Aronofsky – Black Swan
David Fincher - The Social Network
Tom Hooper – The King’s Speech
Christopher Nolan – Inception
David O. Russell - The Fighter

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Simon Beaufoy and Danny Boyle - 127 Hours
Lisa Cholodenk and Stuart Blumberg - The Kids Are All Right
Christopher Nolan - Inception
David Seidler - The King’s Speech
Aaron Sorkin – The Social Network

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Alexandre Desplat - The King’s Speech
Danny Elfman – Alice in Wonderland
A. R. Rahman - 127 Hours
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network
Hans Zimmer – Inception

cinema-fanatic.com

well, for what award? lol

edit: i looked it up, it's for the Golden Globes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally saw The Social Network.

Surprise, surprise, I really liked it. Maybe even loved it. It was nothing like what I thought it would be and everything I didn't expect it to be. Very engaging, fast-paced, engrossing and just all around captivating. Gotta give credit to director David Fincher and writer Aaron Sorkin, they really managed to tell the story in the best way possible. The acting was great too, for the most part. Both Jesse and Andrew did a phenomenal job with their characters. Armie Hammer too, I really enjoyed the twins, lol. I'd nominate all three of them for the Oscars. Ladies too, although nobody had a substantial role, they did great. The only thing that bugged me about the whole thing was the presence of Justin Timberlake. I get it that his character was supposed to be a jerk, and that people were supposed to hate him, but I hate him on a whole different level. He just played himself here. And I can never get over how effeminate he is. Does nobody else see this, lol?

The story itself is really, kinda sad. I haven't really stayed on top of this, but how closely did the movie portray what actually happened? I can't imagine Mark Zuckerberg being happy at all with his portrayal because he came out looking the worst. I don't know if he is an ******* or just trying to be one but he certainly acted like one. At the very least he 'borrowed' some ideas from the twins and it was shady how we went about ignoring them for so long so that he could get a head start. His relationship with Mark is the most upsetting though. Even though I can see where Eduardo was in the wrong about the company, he still was there for Mark and he did contribute the money for Mark without which none of this all would've been possible. It's terrible what money does to families and friendships.

So after watching the movie, I can't see it NOT winning the Oscars for Picture, Director, Screenplay. It's so relevant of today's times, it's brilliant and it's hip.

ETA: The only thing I didn't quite enjoy (aside from Timberlake) was that the movie makes it look like the whole facebook was about this girl that broke up with Mark at the beginning. It was all about her. Not sure if that's how it happened, but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^the part about the girl is totally fictional. mark zuckerberg is still with the girl he started dating before the whole facebook thing happened.
i think sorkin himself mentioned in interviews that it is a fictional story, so a lot of things did not happen the way the movie narrates it. none of the "real" people were involved in the making of the movie. as far as i know sorkin based some of it on a book written about the beginnings of facebook for which eduardo saverin had some kind of advisor role... i'd really like to hear the story from zuckerberg's point of view. i don't want to sugarcoat his actions and saverin obviously wasn't threated fairly, but i've also read somewhere that saverin in fact did not play such an important role in the beginnings of facebook. in terms of money, yes he gave the seed money or what you call it, but he wasn't as involved in the actual process of building the website as the movie depicts it.

^I don't think the movie shows him being involved in the actual building of the site? Other than the logarithm for the facematch.com, I can't remember another thing that he actually contributed to the actual construction of the site. He was more of a "moral support" and Mark kinda just used him to brainstorm his ideas, etc.

^yes, that's true. i didn't phrase it correctly. i meant that on more general terms, that he wasn't that involved in general. not even for moral support. unfortunately i don't remember where i read that article, sorry :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->