The Ugliest Shoes You've Seen Apr 2003 - Jul 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those plaform things (called chopines) are from a book I have called "Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More"

I don't think they are ugly- but interesting. And anyway, We cannot judge things from the past based on todays standards of beauty. it is like comparing apples to oranges.

The most beautiful woman in the world in 1600 would probably be considered ugly nowdays, and vice-versa

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine one can trace the history of women via the history of women's shoes, in every culture... thanks for the lead to 'chopines'. Here is a little more information to shock us all!

Museo Correr dei Veneziani - Twenty-inch Chopines, 16th century Venetian
View attachment 293550
metmuseum.org

"Developed in the early sixteenth century and especially popular among Venetian women, the high-platformed shoe called the chopine had both a practical and symbolic function. The thick-soled, raised shoe was designed to protect the foot from irregularly paved and wet or muddy streets. But the enhancement of the wearer's stature also played a role.

"The chopine's height introduced an awkwardness and instability to a woman's walk. The Venetian woman who wore them was generally accompanied by an attendant on whom she would balance :angry: . Despite the obvious expense, Venetian sumptuary laws (laws regulating expenditure on luxuries) did not address the issue of exaggerated footwear until it reached dangerous proportions. It was once thought that very high chopines, twenty inches as seen in the example from the Museo Correr di Veneziani, were the accoutrements of the courtesan and were intended to establish her highly visible public profile. However, sixteenth-century accounts suggest that the chopine's height was associated with the level of nobility and grandeur of the Venetian woman who wore them rather than with any imputation as to her profession.

"The chopines in The Costume Institute's collection are not as high as the pair depicted in Vittore Carpaccio's painting of two women from about 1500, perhaps the most famous representation of chopines in art. Here the shoes are among several erotic or exotic elements that litter the painting, insinuating that the luxuriously outfitted women are courtesans. The confusion between patrician and courtesan is also evident in the Metropolitan Museum's print (55.503.30), in which a Venetian woman, the target of a cupid, reveals a vertiginous pair of chopines when her skirt is lifted. Her use of a feather fan to deflect cupid's arrows suggests the cool worldliness of the professional beauty, but it is impossible to say with certainty. The elaborate dress of the respectable Venetian noblewoman was almost indistinguishable from the costume of the successful courtesan. So vexing was the confusion that sumptuary restrictions were established to define the boundary and at one point prohibited courtesans from wearing silk dresses and virtually all jewelry."
metmuseum.org

Oh, what were they thinking at Prada?

prada_shoe1.jpg

theresalduncan.typepad.com

it's certainly interesting- perhaps there should be a thread "the history of footwear" or something?

this thread is without a doubt the funniest thread in tfs!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must have no taste as I think those crocheted wedges seanut posted are quite nice and I quite like Messes' Top Shop mules too.
Definitely don't like concept heels a la SomethingElse's post though and those grey pleated thingies Dali exibited need to go away.
The DNF ones just look like someone's been painting. As long as they were in a size 22 I'd get them for my little girl, though possibly minus the paint.

Modern Chopines. I'd only use them as book ends! :cry: However, I love the use of line and color on these dreadful shoes.

misboo1_r3_c8.jpg

lib.unimelb.edu.au

SomethingElse said:
Modern Chopines. I'd only use them as book ends! :cry: However, I love the use of line and color on these dreadful shoes.

lib.unimelb.edu.au

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes, as book ends they would be very effective!

All of the recently posted shoes are worth a few head shakes from me.

Those modern chopines are scary! :shock:

Oh I love posting ugly shoes... and these are so completely confused... :huh:

jade_still.jpg

"How much do you love these boots? With a unique open-toe design, and constructed with luxurious materials like butterfly silk brocade, taffeta ribbon and gold buttons, they're not only unusual, they're works of art."
not!
LoPresti Design / loprestidesign.com
z.about.com

In fact, I fail to see one pair of shoes that I like from this manufacturer.

SomethingElse said:
Oh I love posting ugly shoes... and these are so completely confused... :huh:

"How much do you love these boots? With a unique open-toe design, and constructed with luxurious materials like butterfly silk brocade, taffeta ribbon and gold buttons, they're not only unusual, they're works of art."
not!
LoPresti Design / loprestidesign.com
z.about.com

In fact, I fail to see one pair of shoes that I like from this manufacturer.

those are just bizarre beyond words.

an open toe thong boot??!
With Buttons- and laces??!?
and a wedge heel ??
made of brocade??!?!?
done in orange AND hot pink?!??!?!??

What the fcuk?

seriously- it's like they tried to combine every type of shoe they could think of all at once.

raf simons...

astrosandal-d.jpg

seven

who would ever pay $900 for these!?! :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members