The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread #2

Fast Food Nation was the reason I stopped eating meat. Sure, it's only a movie but I think it's a fairly realistic cinematic interpretation of what's happening in slaughter houses in the US. :judge:

What exactly is Chipolte doing?

2qbhh1z.png

chipotle.com

Excerpted from the website:

It means serving the very best sustainably raised food possible with an eye to great taste, great nutrition and great value. It means that we support and sustain family farmers who respect the land and the animals in their care. It means that whenever possible we use meat from animals raised without the use of antibiotics or added hormones. And it means that we source organic and local produce when practical. And that we use dairy from cows raised without the use of synthetic hormones. Food With Integrity is a journey that started more than a decade ago and one that will never end.

Read up on it here! :flower: I really respect a fairly major "fast-food" chain taking an initiative to be more aware of their food and how it ends up in the bellies of consumers. So, even if we don't care where our food comes from, the producers do and they do it with integrity which is very respectable.

^What's also amazing about Chipotle is that they are totally okay with prices being a bit higher than you'd find at some cheapy place like Taco Bueno :sick:, and so are their customers. They aren't preachy, they just take a good approach and people have responded to it. :smile:

^ Totally cool! I am glad that they're taking a stand on these issues concerning animals and food. They will be better off in the long run for it, I hope that other companies will follow suit.

And I read Fast Food Nation too, I think it's a good representation of whats going on in the food industry too. More people should read it.

:lol: I actually saw the movie rather than read the book. I don't do a lot of reading AT ALL. :blush: But I am intrigued by the movies Netflix has up; there are quite a few food titles I am interested in watching soon.

I wish I cared more about my nutrition as a vegan. :ermm: I'm kind of lazy about making sure I have all my vitamins/minerals/calories/etc. for the day. My main focus is to stay full. I hear that it is useless to try and take a vitamin supplement. (I think I went over this with cestmagique once upon a time.)

^Did we? :lol: I think the question was about what supplements we take as vegans... I always take a multi and a calcium for exactly that reason-- I'm lazy! :innocent: Otherwise I'd worry about getting enough. :rolleyes::lol:

Try this....just sayin'.....
Alicia's Peanut Butter Cups

MAKES 12

INGREDIENTS
1⁄2 cup Earth Balance butter
3⁄4 cup crunchy peanut butter
(preferably unsweetened and unsalted)
3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs or 10 graham cracker squares
1⁄4 cup maple sugar or other granulated sweetener
1 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
1⁄4 cup soy, rice, or nut milk
1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or peanuts

STEPS
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. (If You Care makes unbleached liners made from recycled paper.)
Set aside.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and maple sugar and mix well. Remove the mixture from the heat.
Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 2 tablespoons per cup, among the muffin cups.
Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan.
Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted.
Spoon the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture.
Top with chopped nuts.
Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving.

They are great soft, but even better a little firmer!

Ashcottmanor, tell me more about the nondairy chocolate chips you have used. :flower: What's their consistency, texture, flavor, etc. like?

For me, vegan butter is just like regular butter was. As for vegan sour cream, it is the same consistency but the flavor is very different. But, it's tolerable. ^_^

Ashcottmanor, tell me more about the nondairy chocolate chips you have used. :flower: What's their consistency, texture, flavor, etc. like?

For me, vegan butter is just like regular butter was. As for vegan sour cream, it is the same consistency but the flavor is very different. But, it's tolerable. ^_^

I use Whole Foods 365 Vegan Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet) and they are excellent. The texture is smooth, the flavor is rich and the melt wonderfully. I tasted one before I put it in the pumpkin bread I made tonight and it is a little on the rich side...it almost like a dark chocolate taste to me. But they're great, they're made from evaporated cane juice, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soy lecithin and ground vanilla bean. I would give them a try.

I use Earth Balance Butter and I really can't taste a difference either. It tastes like regular butter to me.

I used Tofurtti sour cream today in Alicia's " Oozy, Cheesy, Guacamole bean dip" and I did not care for it. There was something off about the taste to me, maybe it didn't have that strong of a "sour" taste in the cream part. I am very picky about sour cream, it's one of my favorite things so I'll need a good substitute if I have it at all. Can anyone suggest another kind?

So as you already know I made Alicia Silverstone's "Pumpkin Bread" and "Oozy, Cheesy, Guacamole bean dip" tonight and it was a hit!
A few words of wisdom though, for the pumpkin bread it said it serves 8-10 people....now my batch made 3 loaves which is way more then enough for 8-10 people so I suggest cutting the recipe in half if you decide to try it. I guess reading that I needed to use 5 cups of pumpkin puree should have tipped my off^_^

And for the Guacamole Bean Dip, use a sour cream you are comfortable with, to me that's the main part of the dish. I used Tofurtti and ended up not liking the taste. And definitely use a Taco Seasoning packet. I thought I had one and it turns out I didn't so I took Alicia's advice and tried to make my own out of Cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder etc. and it had hardly any flavor. I had to put some hot sauce on mine just to give it a kick. Other than those mishaps, it was DELICIOUS! I can't wait to make more of her recipes :D

BTW if you go to her blog www.thekindlife.com she has some recipes from her book and other friends that you could try, if you're interested.:flower:

We use the same two butters and sour creams! :woot: That's awesome. Since I don't always crave sour cream, I stick with what I know so I couldn't recommend anything better.

Like Whole Foods' 365 brand is the specific store brand, is there a store brand for Trader Joe's? We don't have a TJ's where I live. -_-

^ I can't help you with Trader Joe's I've never bought chocolate chips there before...not sure if they even have them.

I've been trying to go vegetarian for a while and am obsessed with this Asian Noodle Salad, so yummy!

• SALAD INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 package Linguine Noodles, Cooked, Rinsed, And Cooled
  • ½ heads Sliced Napa Cabbage, Or More To Taste
  • ½ heads Sliced Purple Cabbage, Or More To Taste
  • ½ bags Baby Spinach, Or More To Taste
  • 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Sliced Thin
  • 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced Thin
  • 1 whole Orange Bell Pepper, Thinly Sliced
  • 1 bag Bean Sprouts (also Called Mung Bean Sprouts)
  • Chopped Cilantro, Up To 1 Bunch, To Taste
  • 3 whole Scallions, Sliced
  • 3 whole Cucumbers Peeled And Sliced
  • 1 can (about 10 Oz.) Whole Cashews, Lightly Toasted In Skillet
  • _____
  • FOR THE DRESSING:
  • 1 whole Lime, Juiced
  • 8 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 8 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons (up To 3 Tablespoons) Sesame Oil
  • ⅓ cups Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Fresh Ginger Chopped
  • 2 cloves Garlic Chopped
  • 2 whole Hot Peppers Or Jalapenos, Chopped
  • Chopped Cilantro
Preparation Instructions

Mix salad ingredients together. Whisk dressing ingredients together and pour over salad. Mix with tongs or hands and serve on a platter.
Note: dressing keeps for up to three days before serving, without cilantro.
thepioneerwoman.com

:clap: VainJane, congratulations! I always like when people who never thought they could bear such a drastic lifestyle change realize that it can be fun and rewarding. A lot of my friends tell me, "I love meat too much." Well, at one point so did I, but I decided to make a better decision not just for myself but for the planet as well. :D Recently (like, a few hours ago, lol), I have decided that I will probably start making more lettuce wraps. My friend didn't have a bread suitable for my needs, so she suggested I put all my sandwich fixins in two leaves of lettuce and eat it like a wrap. It was delicious! RECOMMENDED! :woot:

The other day I ate at a vegan-friendly restaurant. They served vegan buffalo wings but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it was called. :huh: It had a consistency like meat, but it was made completely out of soy (I think). It wasn't tempeh. (I hate tempeh anyway. I tried to fry it in a pan, and it ended up smelling like fish.) :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Recently (like, a few hours ago, lol), I have decided that I will probably start making more lettuce wraps. My friend didn't have a bread suitable for my needs, so she suggested I put all my sandwich fixins in two leaves of lettuce and eat it like a wrap. It was delicious! RECOMMENDED! :woot:

I don't eat bread so I put everything in lettuce too. It is so good to me, I usually make my tacos in those and sandwich stuff. More people should try it and it's so easy to do.

Like Whole Foods' 365 brand is the specific store brand, is there a store brand for Trader Joe's? We don't have a TJ's where I live. -_-

Yes, and the name changes depending on the product - Trader Jose, Trader Giotto, Trader Joe-san, etc. :lol: Some of the store brand things are manufactured by very reputable companies - literally the same product, but with TJ packaging. Their brown rice pasta is/made by Tinkyada, and their chocolate chips are both vegan and Callebaut B)

:judge: There needs to be a Trader Joe's where I live. What an injustice. Considering my state has been voted the most fit in the US, I think it's only fair we have a TJ's.

I don't eat bread so I put everything in lettuce too.

How's that working out? Sometimes I like having sandwiches, so I buy tapioca bread. I used to buy light brown rice and white rice bread, but it wasn't as good as tapioca bread. Both rice breads were extremely dry. :doh:

:judge: There needs to be a Trader Joe's where I live. What an injustice. Considering my state has been voted the most fit in the US, I think it's only fair we have a TJ's.

How's that working out? Sometimes I like having sandwiches, so I buy tapioca bread. I used to buy light brown rice and white rice bread, but it wasn't as good as tapioca bread. Both rice breads were extremely dry. :doh:

It's hard, especially when I go to an Italian restaurant and all I really want to do is bathe myself in a big bowl the pasta :P....but my self control kicks in and I forget about it. I've never been a big sandwich person so I can go without the bread there, also Mexican restaurants, imo the tortillas just get in the way of the good stuff. Pizza I really miss too but Id rather waste my calories on veggies and fruit instead of that bad stuff anyways so...I did try a Ezekiel raisin bagel one time and it was really good!

To me, Trader Joe's isn't all it's cracked up to be....it's so tiny and they only have their brand of things. They also don't have really basic items, they're kind of like a specialty store....I prefer whole foods, they have a wider range of products.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Whole Foods too but some specialty items like tapioca bread isn't there. They have organic and gluten-free, but not what I need.

I love Larabars (Lemon bar is soooo delish!) and Amy's soups. :heart: I haven't enjoyed any elaborate vegan meals as of yet, but those two are treats I enjoy having. ^_^

^ I love Larabars too, my favorite is the cherry pie or apple pie. They have a peanut butter and jelly one now too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->