The What to Wear Where? Thread

Thank you everyone! :flower: I ended up going with the white cami under the black dress with the footless tights, the boots, and the scarf, and I really liked it.

What to wear to see a broadway show?

Next week, my guy friend and I are going to see a broadway show and have dinner beforehand. Not sure what I'm going to wear since this is an excuse for me to dress up (yay!) but still have the vibe of "I'm not trying too hard. It's not like I'm wearing this so that I can impress you because I'm really not romantically interested in you." That sort of thing. :P Any suggestions? Right now, I'm thinking of either a dress with a lightweight coat. Or maybe dark wash skinnies with red pumps and a black blouse (too casual?). thanks guys! :heart:

What to wear to a casual get-together hosted by a nouveau riche lady?

This is a lady in my extended family who I have difficultly bonding with due to the fact that she and I have opposite lifestyles and tastes in clothing, meaning that I work and study and cannot afford expensive things, but even if I could they would not be pink, white, gold and logo-covered. I love classic and understated looks.

Of course I cannot pretend to be just like her but poorer, it's not "me" and I could not waste my money on such things (e.g., Baby Phat products), but is there a middle ground so that we could get along just a little better?

Yasmin- just be who you are and don't try to impress anyone- just wear whatever you normally do- if you want to be a little more dressy, just wear shoes that aren't sneakers and some kind of nice shirt-

for instance a buttondown, jeans and ballet flats? Something like that is pretty well foolproof

pinkpolo- I'd go with a dress becasue I enjoy any chance to dress up- but make it a non revealing dress that isn't skin tight. a wrap dress that isn't too low would be good, perhaps with pumps and the coat you mentioned.

If you don't want an overly "I have the hots for you" vibe, I'd avoid sleeveless or strapless or low cut

Hte jeans with heels would be all right, but not that special in my opinion-

yasmin - what about classic preppy style? (aka old rich style :wink: but also aviable cheaply in not so high quality)

Last edited by a moderator:
Desert camoflague fatigues, combat boots, flak vest and helmet.

...Oh, sorry. I thought this was the " What To Wear In Iraq " thread.

Do people still dress up for the Opera? What should I wear to the opera for a Sunday matinee (2pm) show? I'm thinking it will be more casual than say a 8pm show non? :blink:

^ that really depends on which country/city you are. Where I live only tourists come really dressed up, most people wear suits or demure cocktail dresses and such, but generally also enough people show up casually elegant or even in jeans, though old people usually are appalled by that.
for a matinee a nice summer dress and a shawl/light blazer would be perfect imo :smile: nothing too glam but still a little bit better than average sunday wear.

Also, not to mention what kind of demographic you wish to appeal to.
For those kinds of events, it's safe to dress up elegantly.

Thanks lilliana and indigoskies. I'm defintely going to go with a nice summer dress! :flower:

What should I wear to my nephews christening? It's in June so it'll be fairly warm and i'm 15 so I don't want to look too 'old'!

Help!

Next week I have a 2 day orientation for Grad school and the invitation said dress Business Casual. Now I hate that term business casual ...and I'm not really sure what to wear since I tend to overdress :doh:. So any help or advice is appreciated!

I hate "business casual" too. I'd reccomend a blouse with a collar, some sort of blazer (just make sure it's not boxy or like it would fit a man, nothing irks me more than when women look lumpy and shapeless, which my mom does every day despite my protests), a skirt around knee-length, dark nylons, and tall flat boots. And a cute necklace! Or something like that. I'm seventeen and don't have much experience with business casual, but I think a look like that could be pulled off without being too boring or too youthful, so long as you get a blazer that freaking fits and stay away from any colors and patterns that are too bold.

I don't know if this is much help...but my friend gave me a "tip" once about business casual. He told me every time something was business casual to think about Jackie Onassis. White blouses with neutral slacks, a-lines & shifts with casual heels. I've never had to dress business casual, but when I go to luncheons, I generally regard it as that. I'd say a nice dark blue blouse with maybe some light creme or ivory slacks, would be business casual. Even if that turns to be too much, I don't think it's ever a bad thing to be overdressed, as long as you don't wear a floor sweeping gown.

^I guess being overdressed wont be too bad. And I can assure you I wont be wearing a gown:lol:
Right now i'm probably just going with something simple like nice slacks, a button down and heels. Do you think its okay to wear a short sleeve button down if i'm not going to be wearing a blazer?
I have to add the weather is going to be about 97 and super humid as always..So I need to atleast be comfortable since it will be an all day thing.

Thanks for the help ladies!

Recently I went to my law school orientation and it was dress business causal.The First day I wore my white bermada shorts with matching blazer from the Limited. The second day I wore a white skirt and black pointed toe ballet flats and black twinset.The third I wore some dark denim jeans- I guess they are called trouser jeans and a white french cuffed button down.
The final day I wore a wrap dress with flat shoes to dress it down.

I hope that helped. Question I need new ski gear, anyone know of a cute online site? I haven't found any cute ski bibs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericsalodesign
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->