Thrift Scores

Great finds, congrats...! :woot:
I know this is off-topic, but can anyone tell me good vintage clothing websites? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Apr 11th, 2004 - 3:22 pm
My Christian Dior suit:
:wub: The shoulderpads kind of make me look strange though. :cry:

Holycrap! I have a jacket a lot like that, though mine is probably not Dior! It has no tags in it whatsoever, but doesn't appear to be home-made.

greyjacketfront.JPG

greyjacketback.JPG

greyjacketpocketdetail.JPG

The checked fabric didn't photograph well at all. It looks like it is all wet and kind of distorted :( . Still, it has a cool shape. Very 1980s. Always reminded me of Thierry Mugler. This was a hand-me-down from a neighbor-lady.

My vintage gucci bags. But the best of all is my Christian Dior vintage weekender bag. I love it so much i haven't taken it yet. I go away on Sunday to Spain, and im in two minds as to whether i should take it, because i dont want to leave it in the hotel in case it mysteriously disappears. :wink:

I found so much great stuff today! :woot:

-cute red vintage dress($7)
-(handmade?) vintage lacy (wedding?) dress! Maybe I'll wear it to next year's prom or something. It fits like a glove and it's just beautiful. ($25)
-zebra striped coat! :o Soo funky. ($10)
-two pairs of shoes ($9 total) One pair of black sandels and one pair of brown shes that are kind of...I dunno, but they look very old-fashioned and cool.

I especially lucked out with the dresses! That almost never happens to me.

All from Goodwill:

silk scarf from Chanel (99 cents)

a recent Christian Dior wool suit jacket (99 cents)

a black faux persian lamb jacket by Genny

too many Coach and Dooney & Bourke handbags to count ($2.99 each)

2 fake LV bags ( :rolleyes: )

an alligator belt

an antique 1912 Lalique powder jar that I re-sold on eBay for $800 (that was around $1 at the most)

a Judith Leiber belt

a pair of Armani pants that I washed & they shrank :cry:

Woah, where do you live/where did you shop?! So much designer stuff in one place...

Originally posted by eloes@May 13th, 2004 - 1:15 am
Woah, where do you live/where did you shop?! So much designer stuff in one place...
In Tennessee. They know some designer names, but there are a lot
that they don't & I'm so glad of that! :innocent:

Originally posted by As You Like It@Apr 1st, 2004 - 11:14 pm
yellowplaidfront.JPG
yellowplaidback.JPG

Here's that plaid dress I was talking about. I was taking pictures of some of my vintage stuff for an online lookbook I am compiling as part of the "resources" section of my website, and I snapped a couple of this treasure. It is blanket-weight wool flannel, bias cut on the skirt.
AYLI - You are an inspiration. Whenever i look at the things you have posted, i start to like vintage more and more. I love some of the clothes you posted, and would have never considered vintage clothing before. Thanx for that. :heart: :heart:

I bought two purses 2 weeks ago in a charity shop in Streatham. I thought they were vintage gucci, so grabbed them, after getting home, i sat down and scrutinised them, then i realised that they look too new to be vintage. The only reason i thought they were genuine, was because they had the 'Gucci Luxury collection stamped on them, and inside. I know vintage bags/purses, dont always have serial numbers,and most have the gold stamp, but i just feel deep down that they are fakes, so i am going to sell them on Ebay later on. :(

Dude, if you like them, use them, vintage, Gucci, or whatever. A cool bag is a cool bag, no matter what the provenance.

None of my stuff is designer, but I have lucked out and got some nifty old junk.

i found a great white and gold woven leather belt at Peekaboo in Portobello which goes great with jeans. im still adapting to the vintage/thrift thing-im going to start with accesories and work my way up. but my mums wardrobe is like a trasure chest, literally. i found a great sheer oversized long sleeved peasant blouse in there which im going to wear with my woven chloe belt on the top and jeans. but my advice to anyone is raid your mum's wardrobes and go to thrift stores in areas like chelsea and knightsbridge-the oxfam on the kings road had a cute YSL fitted jacked last time i was in there, and im going to get a pearl necklance from the one down the road from me tomorrow :P

Welcome to you impossibleprincess :king:

Last weekend I found the most beautiful 50's dress - dark blue
And a few minutes later the perfect bag to go with - teeny and gold :woot:

Somebody earlier in this thread pointed out the Salvation Army. I must agree i have been goin to the SA
since i was in High School. I actually stopped around 93 but just picked it up again. I get so mad when i go to these high end Thrift/vintage shops in Manhattan and see the same stuff for 4 times the price. I suggest
to anyone that has a SA around the to use it.

Originally posted by As You Like It@Apr 11th, 2004 - 10:41 am
I usually go to Goodwill, Junior League, and D.A.V., and if there is an ASPCA shop, which there isn't in Kansas City. I don't shop from religious-based charity shops, because I don't support missions. Hence, no Salvation Army for me. There's also a local needy-families' charity shop that I shop at a lot, but that is mostly to get work clothes for my husband. Their stuff isn't that great usually, and their women's selection is dire, but for work clothes, the prices can't be beat.
I don't go to Salvation Army because their whole existence is about promoting Missionary work, with which I heartily disagree. I mean, if they were just going to poor countries to do humanitarian work, like provide food, vaccinations, education, ect., I would be wholeheartedly in support, but their thing is to try to convert all those non-Christians to Christianity while they're at it, and I think is incredibly unfair, intrusive, presumptuous, culturally insensitive, and generally Not Cool. More on proselytization.

The Salvation Army is, and has always been, first and foremost, a Christian Christian is a religion but this has been lost over the years where it is now only seen to be a thrift shop or a social services charity. This has caused a major rethink within the Salvation Army who are once again placing the Salvation Army on the map of Christian churches
Taken from here. Here's an article discussing how they insist that their employees publicly affirm their status as Christians, and they have a history of discriminating against homosexuals, though they are now offering Domestic Partner benefits.

The best way to find thrift-shops, I think, is to hit the Yellow Pages, and see what is listed, make yourself an itinerary through town and check them out--see what causes their revenue supports, what their goods look like, and how their prices are. That way you can shop your consciousness and get good stuff for your wardrobe. My heartiest recommendation is Goodwill.

Oh, and while I am on my soapbox, here, I want to publically state that I don't hve any beef against Christians or Christianity as a whole, but I do not agree with missionary work, I do not agree with Witnessing, I do not agree with proselytization, and I don't agree with evangelism. I think it is fine and great if you are strong of faith and love your God and it helps you be a good person, but I DO NOT think anyone should go around trying to get everyone else to fall in line with their religious beliefs.

At the Goodwill site, there is a link to online auctions. They sometimes have the greatest stuff like lot of vintage gloves or hats. And sooo soo much fur coats! Check it out.

Yesterday:

Small, pale green suitcase – 3 euro :wub:
Light brown leather envelope clutch – 20 cents
Whitish pink leather gloves with lovely stitching detail – 10 cent
Lonnng string of the good, real pearls – 50 cent :woot:
A frightening load of other jewellery there’s no point in describing :wacko:

Books/plays :
Playboy of the Western World
The taming of the shrew
A Spaniard in the works (John Lennon)
Oscar remembered
An ancient Wuthering Heights (because 3 other copies just ain’t enough :innocent: )

wow SA sounds evil. I do not like what you say they do and have done. I will think about that. Thanks for the
info. I guess I never cared enough either way.

Finally a great find!
Vintage Gucci handbag and cosmetic's bag - grand total of $7
and a red leather Coach wallet $2!
:woot:

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@May 16th, 2004 - 11:38 am

An ancient Wuthering Heights (because 3 other copies just ain’t enough :innocent: )
can never get enough of wuthering heights... :wub: :heart:

Originally posted by OriginalGucciGirl+May 14th, 2004 - 8:16 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OriginalGucciGirl @ May 14th, 2004 - 8:16 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It@Apr 1st, 2004 - 11:14 pm
yellowplaidfront.JPG
yellowplaidback.JPG

Here's that plaid dress I was talking about. I was taking pictures of some of my vintage stuff for an online lookbook I am compiling as part of the "resources" section of my website, and I snapped a couple of this treasure. It is blanket-weight wool flannel, bias cut on the skirt.
AYLI - You are an inspiration. Whenever i look at the things you have posted, i start to like vintage more and more. I love some of the clothes you posted, and would have never considered vintage clothing before. Thanx for that. :heart: :heart: [/b][/quote]
I agree, the clothes you post are always so classic. You really have a great style, unique and elegant but not too serious, and it's obviously very true to your personality. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->