Tips on Bag Cleaning and Maintenance

Best way to keep shape for slouchy leather bags?

i feel like i should know this by now but i was wondering what u guys do to keep shape for slouchy bags. i know, it sounds like an oxymoron - slouchy bags are meant to be slouchy - but i find that if i dont stuff some of them the leather ends up looking crinkly in the corners or the side its been laying on. should i just leave it be since most of them seem to "bounce" right back and the "wrinkles" take care of themselves once i start wearing them out? ive used papers that come with the bags or sometimes old cotton t-shirts, not sure what's working. im especially concerned about a couple of soft suede bags and a vintage lambskin bag...care to share tips? TIA!! :wink:

I stuff my slouchy bags with acid free paper (newsprint works well, you can find it in art stores)

HELP! Red wine on my handbag

OK so it's a few years old, but I still :heart: my burberry nova check handbag. Problem is that I have been splashed with red wine - and I'm not sure how best to get the stain off the bag. I didn't realise until after it had dried, so no luck there. :cry:

Any tips on cleaning the vinyl leather finishes from burberry/LV????

Your best bet is taking it to a professional. I did the same exact thing a couple years ago, and they managed to salvage the bag for me (it wasn't too expensive either).

What kind of professional? There's no category in yellow pages for - designer handbag cleaners - and my local dry cleaners raise their eyebrows at me, so what kind of professionals do people mean here when they say that?

Oh and according to Burberry, red wine will probably stain it and there's nothing that can be done :cry:

OK, I have something to report. I was thinking about the whole bag cleaning thing for the vinyl coated canvasses. Burberry and LV both said to use baby wipes or just a bit of warm water - and that's great for general grime, but doesn't get into the texture of the bag and really clean it.

So I figured that the red wine stain I have was not being removed - which essenrially means my bag is ruined. So therefore, if I ruin my bag through cleaning I haven't lost anything. Then again if I clean it and get another 5 years out of it when without the cleaning products it would have lasted 10 years, well at least I'll get the 5.

So I wet down my bag with warm water and then I applied some Estee Lauder foaming facial cleanser and rubbed it right in. Copious amounts of warm water to remove and hey-presto I have a gorgeously clean bag again. No sign of the red wine stain and even a couple of small stains that have been there for years are now almost gone too.

I'm over the moon. My bag looks stunning again. I went out shopping and a girl stopped me to ask where I got it :D

Disclaimer - this is what I chose to do to my own bag. I'm not necessarily telling you to do the same - if you do this and your bag is destroyed, well that's not my fault.

hahahah! amazng what some facial scrubs can do eh? they're probably chalk full of more cleaning agents than most soaps!

Sooo... if anyone spills wine on their face..and forgets to wash it off for a few years... This Estee Lauder stuff will do the trick!!

:wink: :lol:

Thanks for the tip, sparkly. :smile:

I have a Yves Saint Laurent reversible tote bag (Double Sac) black/silver and I managed to get some pen marks on the silver side. Any tips on how to remove the marks? Thank you! :flower:

How old is it? Can you call up MJ and ask them about a repair. Several people have had issues with stitching on the Stam... maybe even post in the Marc Jacobs Stam thread? :smile:

has anyone tried lovingmybags products? Everything I've tried is amazing and I feel like it's not as harsh and chemically as most other cleaners/conditions. You can get it at lovingmybags.com.

How old is it? Can you call up MJ and ask them about a repair. Several people have had issues with stitching on the Stam... maybe even post in the Marc Jacobs Stam thread? :smile:

Wow... how oblivious am I...? I didn't know you could call MJ for repairs... I was also having trouble with the kisslock as well... yeah its a Petrol 05 sooo yeahhhhh .... :innocent:

clear nailpolish works for those loose threads, and the kisslock issue, im affraid, is the elephant in the closet of 1st gen stam owners.........

clear nailpolish works for those loose threads, and the kisslock issue, im affraid, is the elephant in the closet of 1st gen stam owners.........

thanks jun3! ohhh you changed your avatar, me likey :lol: did your stitches ever come loose? hmmm... i went to marc jacobs to ask about a repair for the kisslocks and they did give me a number to get them repaired but also stated that "you weren't suppose to carry the stam by the chains... that the chain was only for decorative purpose...etc." blahhh blahh... so i don't know im just a bit perplexed :huh:

/\ why thankey! that chain held stam thing is BS (what they told you) the bag was advertised in multiple places as being held by the chain. they just didn't design it properly with the first batch and so it's an issue with us all.

i haven't had any problems with the stitches, but i know if they break or get snagged, just put a teeny bit of clear nailpolish on there and it will seal. and i mean a tiny bit...maybe applied with like a pin or something. a few members in the stam thread have had problems with the stitching..

i have new gucci white patent leather bowler. any tips on how to prevent staining or yellowing? any tips for cleaning the white patent leather? thanks for any helpful hints you may have!:heart:

Handbag Stains Removal

Is there any possible way to remove blue pen/ink stain from a tan/brown leather purse?HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks I'll give it a try.I'm about ti list theis bag on ebay. I have only worn it once and of couse had to draw a line on it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->