UK Elle January 2016 : Lupita Nyong'o by Kai F Zeng

Srdjan

Reaction score

(elleuk.com)

Lupita Nyong'o in Louis Vuitton, styled by Anne Marie Curtis, and shot by Kai Z Feng.

I don't like it all. The print, the text, the colors, the hair, the expression. Everything is wrong. I love her but no

I like hair & makeup but the dress is so busy, it´s just a mess of print and ruffles :wacko:

Lupita looks really gorgeous and she's working the LV dress, unfortunately all that text ruins the cover.

One of the few celebrities I don't mind on covers, because she has style and cares about fashion.

Not a fan of the dress. Something sleeker would have worked better.

I didn't recognize her. What a awful cover. She is so beautiful but this cover doesn't show it.

Why did they give her Blue Ivys hairdo?

The design of this magazine is a mess. It's literally a mess, in terms of that cover, but mostly, I mean that the page layout is usually more like a sight test than a pleasure to read, because of the microscopic nature of the font sizes, and the way they're crammed into the space available, in the name of modern design.

And don't even get me started on a magazine using its cover to promote the download of its "amazing stories". Personally, I'd prefer it if UK Elle put more effort into being a decent print magazine, but why get that right when you can just rush online and join in with all the other empty noise.

i think Essence did a better job the one arm dress gives the cover an imbalanced look

i can't tolerate the layout. it would look much better without any cover lines

I'm sorry, but this is an awful start for British Elle. On paper I cannot fault it because I'm quite fond of both Lupita and Kai, but this is just too busy. Also, it's about time magazines start thinking out of the box with Lupita. Every cover always feels like a 'statement' - it's getting quite boring now. Why do we always see her in prints and bright colours? Let I&V shoot her in a studio, with monochrome/minimalist styling. It might just make me look more than once.

Her face looks amazing as always, but the cover doesn't really work, too messy.

ELLE UK JANUARY 2016
PHOTOGRAPHER: KAI Z FENG
STYLING: ANNE MARIE CURTIS

bellazon

^ I'd have loved to see the second image as the cover as we never see her in a sexualized way. And even though the fourth image is very Lancome ad, it's also a beautiful image worthy of a cover.

I don't like the dress on the cover, but Lupita looks great on her editorial.

^ I'd have loved to see the second image as the cover as we never see her in a sexualized way. And even though the fourth image is very Lancome ad, it's also a beautiful image worthy of a cover.

Agree with you about the portrait shot, it's simply sublime and yes, we need to see her try different styles.

I'll say this again, Lorraine must have clout (or this is just more native advertising at play?) to get all these high-profile people. Yet I've never seen them looking really good in the magazine.

This cover would have been exceptional as a tight closeup of her gorgeous face!

"Poetry in Motion"
photographer: Aitken Jolly
stylist: Anne-Marie Curtis
hair: Stephen Low
make-up: Mel Arter
models: Antonia Wesseloh & George Griffiths
Elle UK pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->