UK Harper’s Bazaar April 2020 : Gugu Mbatha-Raw by Richard Phibbs

I love this. Simple and stunning.

I love how it focuses on her beauty, and not on any gimmick.

Though I wish it were zoomed in more

Not sure if it's the quality of the image or the actual cover, but I find this to be very grainy. I don't get all the space next to her on either side, and a bit of gloss wouldn't hurt. But otherwise it looks passable. Just sad that the identity of British Harper's is now gone. This looks just like any of the many global editions now.

Find it odd that Naomie and Thandi never quite get their due when it comes to UK covers. Both Justine and Alexandra name-checked Thandi for helping them with various initiatives at the magazines, and Naomie has been doing Bond for years now and is arguably one of the most beautiful British actresses, so where are their covers??

Quit Bazaar and put Vogue and looks like an Edward’s cover. Gugu is beautiful as always

I hate it. That dress is extremely hideous and cheap looking and so is this image. It's a shame, her British Vogue cover was one of Edward's best cause she's naturally stunning but her beauty is drowning in those tasteless shades of pink and gold and yikes. Looks like Vogue India!

Not sure if it's the quality of the image or the actual cover, but I find this to be very grainy. I don't get all the space next to her on either side, and a bit of gloss wouldn't hurt. But otherwise it looks passable. Just sad that the identity of British Harper's is now gone. This looks just like any of the many global editions now.

Find it odd that Naomie and Thandi never quite get their due when it comes to UK covers. Both Justine and Alexandra name-checked Thandi for helping them with various initiatives at the magazines, and Naomie has been doing Bond for years now and is arguably one of the most beautiful British actresses, so where are their covers??
Thank god for that, if boring Justine was still around you would NEVER see Gugu on the cover! But otherwise omg yes! Yes to Naomie & Thandie love! Newton is so brilliant in Westworld I watched each season 3 times!! She would be a dream for a UK Vogue cover, i think it still might happen. But she had quite a few covers under Lucy, i think it was still Harpers & Queens then!

Deer in the headlights... so unflattering.

The news stand cover is nearly perfect but the photo has a candid or amateur quality (or something I can’t put into words) that makes it fall flat. I wish it had a more high fashion studio feel.

Feels like a school portrait snap. Somehow frozen and lifeless. Pretty but dead at the same time.

I still haven't seen her on screen, but she won me over with her British Vogue cover back then. I'm loving this one as well!

AND THE WINNER IS…
Photographer:
Richard Phibbs
Stylist: Leith Clark
Hair: Daniel Martin
Make-Up: Kay Montano
Model/Celebrity: Gugu Mbatha-Raw

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

SIREN SONG
Photographer:
Erik Madigan Heck
Stylist: Leith Clark