UK Vogue April 2018 : Gugu Mbatha-Raw by Mikael Jansson

Seeing it on sale today, this doesn't look as bad on the newsstand as the stand-alone scan of the cover suggested.

It's also on sale for £2 in the Tesco I was in (Marie Claire also had a printed cover price of £2.50).

I don't know what makes me more happy the fact that Gugu is on the cover or that Mikael Jansson shot it. Very happy for both of them.

My issue came before the weekend and everything still feels just a little too W Magazine for me. Everything from the over-hyped Donatella Versace element, Gugu's feature and Edward even fetching W's fonts with him. I'm not completely underwhelmed but dior_couture1245 hit the nail on the head for me with the term "fan boy" to describe Edward's Vogue.

I guess I should just relish in the fact that we got a set of Steven Meisel covers last month and we're more or less guaranteed another Meisel feature in the future.

Isn’t MAS tired to style the same thing everytime, every year for every publication?
Seriously! Louis Vuitton is one of the most annoying brands in magazines. Their full look policy is exhausting!

You should read the NG puff piece, quite well written actually. Or maybe not well written per se, but it offers a bit of insight into the creative transition from Balenciaga to LV.
Of course she had to style the story. That shows you just how important LV and vision is to Mas and Nicolas. It's business first for them. He even alludes that much in the article.

This issue isn't bad, but I found it very disposable. Gugu's editorial looks like a McDean story, but with bad lighting. The Coddington styling is solid, but you can just tell that it would be far more effective with US Vogue's fantasy type of treatment. I don't care for the Versace story at all! And maybe now that Adwoa's got a column they should lay off booking her for edits. It's getting as nauseating as Georgia under Alexandra. Speaking of, it's simply baffling how much the magazine still look like she's in charge. Edward may have arrived with some new fonts and a diverse cast, but the core of the magazine remains unchanged. Now this wouldn't be such a big problem if he doesn't stop with this #NewVogue nonsense.

I think it's Okay for an April issue. Gugu is undeniably gorgeous and photographs beautifully, her editorial is the highlight here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogue Beauty Awards
Photographer: Richard Burbridge
Model: Lineisy Montero
Styling: Stella Greenspan
Hair: Diego De Silva
Make-up: Tom Pecheux

VogueUK

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members