UK Vogue December 2017 : Adwoa Aboah by Steven Meisel

This is a stunning image for Edward's first cover.

So many people are complaining about her skin tone, but Adwoa is not very dark, she's a mutli-racial woman. Then when you bring in the kind of lights used for these shoots, she's going to appear lighter. I don't think they did anything to her skin tone. People need to calm down.

We're trying to get away from whitewashed covers, but now we're trying to shoehorn someone into a box of being black (or 'not looking black enough'). The reality of Britain today is that we are multi-racial.

Review - 356 Pages.

ADWOA
Cover Star: Adwoa Aboah
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Edward Enninful
11 Photos

REMAIN
Models: Adwoa Aboah, Alewya Demmisse, Edie Campbell,
Jean Campbell, Olympia Campbell & Matilda Lowther
Photographer: Juergen Teller
Stylist: Venetia Scott
15 Photos

ROLE CALL
Actresses: Millie Bobby Brown, Letitia Wright, Mia Goth & Stacy Martin
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Poppy Kain
10 Photos

THE SECRET GARDEN
Models: Jean Campbell & John Todd
Photographer: Bruce Weber
Stylist: Joe McKenna
14 Pages

ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE
Models: Hussien Abdulrahman, Eildith Alexander, Amara Blake,
Iris Dubois, Joseph Griffin, Jasmine Hussain, Mara Kasanpawiro,
Stephanie Omorojor, Georgia Palmer, Kit Warrington & Dahlia Winter
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Alastair McKimm
9 Photos

Err... not a very exciting review. Quite US Vogue-y.

Review - 356 Pages.

ADWOA
Cover Star: Adwoa Aboah
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Edward Enninful
11 Photos

REMAIN
Models: Adwoa Aboah, Alewya Demmisse, Edie Campbell,
Jean Campbell, Olympia Campbell & Matilda Lowther
Photographer: Juergen Teller
Stylist: Venetia Scott
15 Photos

ROLE CALL
Actresses: Millie Bobby Brown, Letitia Wright, Mia Goth & Stacy Martin
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Poppy Kain
10 Photos

THE SECRET GARDEN
Models: Jean Campbell & John Todd
Photographer: Bruce Weber
Stylist: Joe McKenna
14 Pages

ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE
Models: Hussien Abdulrahman, Eildith Alexander, Amara Blake,
Iris Dubois, Joseph Griffin, Jasmine Hussain, Mara Kasanpawiro,
Stephanie Omorojor, Georgia Palmer, Kit Warrington & Dahlia Winter
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Alastair McKimm
9 Photos

Very interested to see everything. Such a shame they didn’t use any of the emerging talented British photographers though. Not even Alasdair, Angelo, Jamie...? Why would you pair Patrick Demarchelier with someone like Poppy Kain, when she’s had such successful work with Harley and Angelo?

After seeing the stunning cover image, I had very high expectation of the content and I was hoping Edward would pick real top models for the editorials AND it would be on par with VI/VP... Isn't Ashley Brokaw responsible for casting? I thought about buying the magazine initially but I am not sure anymore. I guess I will decide once I see the contents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, so many celebs and celeb models. That's without the actual features which will show all those names on the cover......

I picked this up yesterday – was surprised as thought it was supposed to appear on the newsstands tomorrow. Love the cover. Haven't had the opportunity to read it in full, but I did read bits of it yesterday. Nothing mind-blowingly different to any other British Vogue IMO, but Naomi's interview with Sadiq Khan was interesting.

Absolutely stunning cover.
I actually have always been quite the fan of Adwoa, unlike most people on here it seems, and she truly delivered on the cover. Haven't bought UK Vogue in years, but will surely pick up this one.

Just kind of curious why people on here are so quick to assume the content won’t be good only based on a review? Like, I’ll beleive it when I see it, ok?

Just kind of curious why people on here are so quick to assume the content won’t be good only based on a review? Like, I’ll beleive it when I see it, ok?

Some of us have seen the video previews so it's not entirely out of the ordinary to be underwhelmed. But then I suppose videos often belie the actual printed edit - see Italian Vogue's stunning vid preview of Raquel vs the terribly weak printed edit.

The fact that Jean Campbell is featured twice makes me doubt this Vogue will be a lot different from the old one.

^perhaps he wants to transition little by little to not alienate any new readers :unsure:

I've just flicked through my issue. The cover is even more stunning in real life and Adwoa's shoot inside is great: classic Meisel, which is so exciting to see in the pages of the magazine.

The redesign is more of a refresh of how it used to be but there are some nice new changes. I actually enjoyed Edward's Editor's Letter, it was a little cheesy but he seems really confident and excited about the future of the magazine. He even says 'Be sure of this: my Vogue will be the fashion bible' which I actually admire: I like that he's ambitious and means business...although I can't say that is exactly reflected in the rest of the shoots.

The other editorials are somewhat of a let down. It's not that they are bad, there are some lovely shots in there, but it really isn't massively different from before. It seems that we'll see more of a gradual shift in terms of photography over the next few months, or at least I hope so. I do wish he'd come in with a bang from start to finish but it seems that the cover is the main focus here. It would have been nice to have a really exuberant, festive, glamorous issue for December but I personally feel like they've (knowingly) played it safe for now.

All that said, I'm excited about the future of the magazine - I really can't wait to see how Edward and the new team's vision unfolds.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the first look through my subscription copy, the fashion content isn't really a radical departure from what went before. In terms of excitement, it's all downhill from the cover. But I am keen to get the time to sit down and READ the pieces in this issue, and see the thoughts and opinions voiced by the new Vogue.

I flicked through the issue this evening, will probably pick it up at the weekend. It's a really nice issue, nothing mind-blowing but remember that whenever there's a change afoot, transition needs to happen seamlessly, not abruptly.

I'm not overly fond of the flow of the images in Adowa's editorial by Meisel; Edward's styling looks a bit clunky again, but the faded vintage-y images that he does (gah...which photographer is he referencing, totally can't think!) look beautiful.

Bruce's editorial is much better than what he's been doing of late; you can tell that it's a bit of a tribute to Grace's garden story, but not quite as lofty a production...

Was a bit surprised that he stuck with big guns for this issue and there wasn't more British talent. I'm interested to see how Edward deals with the January issue, which is usually scraping the bottom of the barrel content wise for UK Vogue.

I really hope Vogue UK becomes a source of near-constant Meisel!

few previews

McDean Story

there is also jewelry by Emma Summerton

and new faces by Amy Troost

IG: @mollysmithmolly, @Elite London, @oliverjohndale, @eilidh.a, @chrisyian

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back