UK Vogue September 2018 : Rihanna by Nick Knight

Happy to see Nick Knight shooting the cover again. It's something different for Rihanna, but I'm not moved by the Eastern/flower overload theme. As ellastica pointed out, it's all a bit irrelevant. Might have been cool in 2001, but not really now.

At least UK Vogue doesn't look too much like a glorified indie unlike all of the publications rendered horse-sh*t under Anna's control at US Conde though.

Has everyone in fashion completely lost their minds? Everything is so ugly nowadays. How do you make Rihanna look dull and bad? It should be impossible to make her look bad and yet... :ermm:

another first, for edward. go off rihanna. LOVE that nick is shooting covers for them.

Well I'm loving the flower headdresses, especially the dark one.... the arabian dahlias, black calla lilies, bleeding hearts, black orchids, crocosmia lucifer, a big pink lily and some peonies and irises as well. Also love that Nick Knight shot this but nothing like his previous works.

Apart from that... eh... I think the just tried to throw everything and anything that would tick of the "high fashion" marks, but it's just black in different textures against a gray background with a hint of jewel tones, take away the flowers/headdresses and it looks pretty boring.

Black, some texture, boots and a splash of jewel tones for fall.... groundbreaking.

Just got my copy, the editorials are all fabulous!

Upsize down - 12 pages - Fran summers by David sims, styled by Grace Coddington! Very playful, there’s the typical Sims jumping shots but with location shots in what looks like a flat!

Rihanna Rules - 6 pages - Rihanna by Nick Knight, styled by Edward Enninful! You’ve all seen most of the images by now, it’s very classic Nick Knight and I think the photos are quite striking!

Soft Armour - 6 pages - Adut Akech by Anton Corbijn, styled by Poppy Kain! My personal favourite ed in this issue, it’s showing the new Alexander McQueen pieces on various locations; beaches, forests etc.

Can’t get no sleep - 14 pages - Lara Mullen, Kiki Willems, Anok Yai by Mert & Marcus styled by Alastair Mckimm! Another favourite, very bright and high contrast, clearly inspired by rave style. Reminds me of the Fall 2018 Prada show!

There’s no place like home - 14 pages - Fran Summers by Alasdair McLellan styled by Kate Phelan! Very much a English countryside ed!

The age of opulence - 10 pages - Tess McMillan by Charlotte Wales styled by Poppy Kain! Love this ed, it’s very soft but still dramatic. Lots of silk,frills and metallic clothing.

In my personal opinion it’s one of Edwards Best issues, the editorials are all very different from one another and it has a very new fresh feel entirely throughout the magazine! Plus it’s only £2

I feel like the idea that 'everything is ugly until Rihanna says it's not' has been pushed too far here. I generally think Rihanna's iron sense of self and her openness to embracing new looks or styles means in some weird way, things work on her (that would look really absurd on others), but I think this cover has tried to do too much. The gloves are happening, the headpiece is happening, the brows are (not) happening, Rihanna's trying to 'smize', and in the end, no one is sure what is happening.

That being said, I think her editorial shots (from what I can see posted in this thread) are dynamic! There's energy in her posing and it's wonderful.

In my personal opinion it’s one of Edwards Best issues, the editorials are all very different from one another and it has a very new fresh feel entirely throughout the magazine! Plus it’s only £2

It's for sale at £2 in my area as well - saw it on the newsstand this morning. Had a quick flick through, it feels exciting. No subscription copy yet, so I might get a newsstand one on the way home. At that price, I don't think I'd mind getting two copies.

It's for sale at £2 in my area as well - saw it on the newsstand this morning. Had a quick flick through, it feels exciting. No subscription copy yet, so I might get a newsstand one on the way home. At that price, I don't think I'd mind getting two copies.

I’ve done the exact same because my subscription hadn’t arrived yet so I thought for £2 it was worth it

photography and overall styling in mags are so drab nowadays, that I´ll take anything remotely glamorous :D
OK, I must admit that the subscriber's cover is quite cool. The eyebrows though? I might be watching too much Jeffree Star, but who needs eyebrows like those these days? No brows would be so much better on Rihanna.

Reactions: MON
Just saw the issue in real life. Didnt bother opening it.

It felt like an Elle cover tbh. This screams more Rihanna’s direction, than Edward’s.

8q9w2d8n_t.jpg

Rihanna Rules
Photographer:
Nick Knight
Stylist: Edward Enninful
Make-up: Isaaya Ffrench
Hair: Yusef Williams

Vogue UK Digital Edition

Upsize Down
Photographer:
David Sims
Stylist: Grace Coddington