US Vogue April 2015 : Serena Williams by Annie Leibovitz

Miss Dalloway

Reaction score
Thanks to the wonderful TFS member HandbagQueen for the snap.:heart:

sw.jpg

Yikes, couldn't they have put something more interesting/flattering/fashionable on her? Very bad cover, depressing colours.

For me this is one of their WORST covers!! I mean what on earth is she wearing, and on what planet is a shift that cheap looking, fashionable?

And to make it even worse, why the bad make-up? I guess they went for the "natural" look, and i get it, but she looks washed out. I only like the hair. And the text layout is strange, it almost doesn't look like a real cover.

Yay for Serena but don't like it at all.. :blink: waiting for the contents I guess.

REVIEW TIME! She's not the only one that's got the issue, don'tcha know.

#1 - Shape Shifters (13 pg)
PH: Inez & Vinoodh
Style: Tonne Goodman
Models: Caroline Trentini, Vanessa Axente, Joan Smalls, Cameron Russell, Karmen Pedaru, Adriana Lima

#2 - L.A. Stories (12 pg)
PH: Mario Testino
Style: Camilla Nickerson
Models/Celebs: Justin Bieber, Ansel Elgort, Hopper Penn, Dylan Penn, Gigi Hadid, and that damned non-Kardashian sister (AGAIN)

#3 - Queen Of the Court (6 pg)
PH: Annie Leibovitz
Style: Sara Moonves
Celebs: Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki

#4 - Battle Royal (2 pg)
PH: Anton Corbijn
Style: Phyllis Posnick
Celebs: Lydia Leonard, Ben Miles, Nataniel Parker

#5 - The Divine Mrs. Cumberbatch (2 pg)
Style: None
Celebs: Sophie Hunter, Maria Grazia Chirui, Pierpaolo Piccioli

#6 - Springtime in Paris (6 pg)
Style: Grace Coddington
Models: Ondria Hardin, Fei Fei Sun, Mirte Maas, Maartje Verhoef, Vanessa Axente

#7 - Iggy Pop (2 pg)
PH: Mikael Jansson
Celeb: Iggy Azalea

#8 - Smooth Move (2 pg)
PH: Eric Boman
Model: A red blender, a giant knife, a lemon and oranges, and Kale.

#9 - Dressing Down (2 pg)
PH: Cass Bird
Style: Sara Moonves
Celeb: Ellen Page

#10 - Best In Show (10 pg)
PH: Bruce Weber
Style: Tabitha Simmons
Models: Jessica Hart, Gigi Hadid, Andreea Diaconu, and a buncha dogs

#11 - Going Long (8 pg)
PH: Craig McDean
Style: Grace Coddington
Model: Tami Williams

Another month, another attempt at shoving the non-Kardashian sister up our throats and into our ears. RESIST THE URGE!!!

This is not gonna sell very well and they will probably blame on her skin color and not the fact that it's just not a good cover. What happened to the Vogue that had Oprah on the cover looking spectacular and better then ever? Surely, they could have done more with Serena.

#7 - Iggy Pop (2 pg)
PH: Mikael Jansson
Celeb: Iggy Azalea

Finally!! I've been waiting for this, was already thinking it might had been scrapped.
Can't wait for scans, thanks for posting the full review @kroqjock

The HQ scan of the cover does make it look a bit better (via fashionscansremastered.net), ugh at Wozniacki sneaking her way into the ed too though -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
After all that speculation in the Cover Rumour Thread I don't think anyone anticipated Serena! Thrilled to see her on the cover, not a great shot of her but her hair looks magnificent. Interesting to see them add in a new font on the cover, I think they did something similar in September as well?

The more I look at the cover, the more I don't seem to mind it, but they could have done better. For once I would have actually liked to see Testino as the photographer, I think he might have been able to capture a sunny, natural shot that really emphasised her incredible body or at the very least I think we would have been better than Annie.

Edit: Now that I've seen the review and I'm super excited for the Bruce Weber story, I would have loved to have seen him photograph the cover! That could have been amazing. They never use him for cover stories but it could have been wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't love it nor do I hate it. I love Serena and I enjoy seeing her and her "BFF" Caroline.

But what excites me most is Tami editorial, by herself should be interesting! Also Fei Fei being inside as well.
Thanks kroqjock

Iggy... :sick:

Even Lucky cover looks better than this. This is depressing. It's like super bland Elle cover. I would never guessed that Annie shot this tho

I'm loving her hair in this, but she looks angry in the photo.

Good heavens, no! I'd have taken any of those actresses instead. All that hair is blocking the masthead. And what on earth is she wearing?? At least it looks like a shape cover. Anyone else found it weird that Wozniacki got featured only in the ed, she of course made fun of the Williams curves, lol. Passive aggressive move from Vogue, I think. Not sure about the review, I see Lima, Bieber, Jenner, the Penn's all in one issue? How very mediocre!

I love this. She looks fit and strong and proud and beautiful. I love the hair, it's what gives the cover visual interest (since the dress is very simple). I'd like to see the cover in HD to really judge the dress, but it is maybe a bit more plain than I'd have liked. Still, everything else is perfect. Even the text placement works better than usual. Kudos to Vogue for making an unexpected choice not just in who is on the cover, but in how as well. It would be much more obvious to either try and glam her up beyond recognition or to but her in more obvious sportswear with a sleek ponytail or something. Wow. I just really love this.

cover doesnt bother me any more than other covers with the blonde celebs. and Tami!

I like the no makeup look. The dress is very bad. I love how the masthead is drowning in her hair.

It might look better in person, but very drab. Anyway, Tami by McDean...that's all I need to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theseaswell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->