US Vogue February 2020 : Florence Pugh by Daniel Jackson

I think it's the dissonance, the mixed messages - every other page in a magazine is trying to sell you the idea of 'empowerment' and "women are the future" and then you see women having to put on a 'me so cute and harmless' act in an attempt to ward off censure for daring to be young, beautiful and successful.

I enjoyed the conversation, even contrasting opinions to my own, far more interesting than anything in this edition.

Ok, I'm converted! She actually seems rather cool.
Also, how is it that we have a million different recipes but only one sauce???? And that scotch egg is criminally overcooked.

Vogue had Cardi B on the cover literally last month, Rihanna two months before that. This "diversity" cult will not be satisfied unless no white person ever appears in Vogue.

Cardi B, okay cool. Rihanna for the, what? Like 100th time? There are so many Black, Asian, Middle Eastern women and more who are doing their thing in America and deserve recognition. For you to say that the “diversity” cult won’t be satisfied unless no white person ever appears on Vogue is just sweeping the issue under the rug.

Cardi B, okay cool. Rihanna for the, what? Like 100th time? There are so many Black, Asian, Middle Eastern women and more who are doing their thing in America and deserve recognition. For you to say that the “diversity” cult won’t be satisfied unless no white person ever appears on Vogue is just sweeping the issue under the rug.

I agree the issue shouldn't be swept under the rug, but Rihanna's number of appearances shouldn't be a factor in the discussion, in my opinion. Anna has her favorites that she features again and again. In addition to Rihanna, Lupita, and Zendaya, (who I just realized had 2 US Vogue covers at the age of 22!) she's also recently given multiple covers to Emma Stone, Kendall, Margot Robbie, Taylor Swift, etc. So I don't personally see it as Anna just rotating the same women of color to satisfy a quota, I think that's just how she operates. If she sees someone as a worthy cover star, there's a good chance they'll repeat, regardless of ethnicity.

I also think it's important to keep in mind that 1 person on the cover doesn't necessarily represent the entire content of the magazine. Vogue features many women from all sorts of backgrounds inside the magazine. The person on the cover is often an A-list celebrity that will sell on newsstands or give digital content a boost, but I'd question anyone who denies that Vogue has dramatically improved in terms of inclusiveness. I'd say the representation of women of color, within the magazine, is actually disproportionately high relative to the population of the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->