US Vogue January 2021 : The 'Vogue Values' of 2021 by Annie Leibovitz

Paloma's cover is amazing, Rosalia's is a close second. Frances and Naomi just aren't my cup of tea but they aren't horrible imo.

Don't bring Florence into this, lol! She was nominated for an Oscar at the time. All the other English girls had one or the other big moment going for them at the time too.
That's what I mean, that's enough for Vogue. The idea that you have to go through some long preamble of stardom prepping you up for ~the big moment~, an American Vogue cover, where does that fantasy prevail post, I don't know, 1996?.. just among commercial fashion enthusiasts. The singer in question here has won something (as opposed to just being nominated), a Grammy, whatever that means these days (just like the Oscars..).

I could've used Blake or my favorite example of Vogue's insignificance: Kate Hudson :lol:. Though it's really the English actresses' appearances that are often more perplexing for me.. never mind good ol' tfs logic "A singer popular in America in an American magazine targeted to an American public? but I've never heard of her in Slovakia, what's the point of giving her a cover if no one knows her then?", it's Ana's "let's see which new British actress is trying to break America and give her that final push" what often seems way too charitable and ill-advised.. but hey, if she keeps doing that, it must be working out, right?.. so this (isn't music being more profitable than movies?) will probably turn out even better since Rosalía doesn't really need Vogue's helping hand, more the other way around. Vogue's really just so starved and miserable, to tell you for decades that you're the tangible value you can afford to wear and having to branch out now with moral values, lmao, who knew values are not foundation.. hm yeah I took some samples from work I never returned, poached clients for my personal business, terminated people because their skin was.. funny, but then I bought Vogue and values just seemed so cool and like it was the right time for such an important conversation, bless Vogue for the reminder..

That's what I mean, that's enough for Vogue. The idea that you have to go through some long preamble of stardom prepping you up for ~the big moment~, an American Vogue cover, where does that fantasy prevail post, I don't know, 1996?.. just among commercial fashion enthusiasts. The singer in question here has won something (as opposed to just being nominated), a Grammy, whatever that means these days (just like the Oscars..).

I could've used Blake or my favorite example of Vogue's insignificance: Kate Hudson :lol:. Though it's really the English actresses' appearances that are often more perplexing for me.. never mind good ol' tfs logic "A singer popular in America in an American magazine targeted to an American public? but I've never heard of her in Slovakia, what's the point of giving her a cover if no one knows her then?", it's Ana's "let's see which new British actress is trying to break America and give her that final push" what often seems way too charitable and ill-advised.. but hey, if she keeps doing that, it must be working out, right?.. so this (isn't music being more profitable than movies?) will probably turn out even better since Rosalía doesn't really need Vogue's helping hand, more the other way around. Vogue's really just so starved and miserable, to tell you for decades that you're the tangible value you can afford to wear and having to branch out now with moral values, lmao, who knew values are not foundation.. hm yeah I took some samples from work I never returned, poached clients for my personal business, terminated people because their skin was.. funny, but then I bought Vogue and values just seemed so cool and like it was the right time for such an important conversation, bless Vogue for the reminder..

Gosh, Kate Hudson was the Hailey Baldwin of the 2000s, and let’s not pretend that her brand of blonde white next door wasn’t the reason of her ubiquity, other than the fact that she built her career upon nepotism as well. I do applaud her for making good use of nepotism by actually putting in the work though, even if most of her films are intolerable, romcom trashes.

Gosh, Kate Hudson was the Hailey Baldwin of the 2000s, and let’s not pretend that her brand of blonde white next door wasn’t the reason of her ubiquity, other than the fact that she built her career upon nepotism as well. I do applaud her for making good use of nepotism by actually putting in the work though, even if most of her films are intolerable, romcom trashes.
I am not a big Kate Hudson stan, but in her defence she did get an Oscar nomination.

Ok ok so good for Kate Hudson covers and so good for Rosalia’s cover, both talented women and capable to generate love and hate. Now, let’s move on...

Ok ok so good for Kate Hudson covers and so good for Rosalia’s cover, both talented women and capable to generate love and hate. Now, let’s move on...

It's a discussion board, How do we move on? We just stop discussing things? How bout maybe open another thread if you're tired of this particular discussion. There's literally thousands on here. One might engage you better. Just sayin.

Rosalia has a Grammy

So does Chris Brown. A Grammy doesn't actually mean anything, it's not on the same level as the Oscars. It's just an opportunity for pop stars to dress in the tackiest looks once a year.

So does Chris Brown. A Grammy doesn't actually mean anything, it's not on the same level as the Oscars. It's just an opportunity for pop stars to dress in the tackiest looks once a year.

All awards are pointless and I believe both Grammys and the Oscars frequently favor mediocrity over true greatness but to undervalue Grammys’ impact and overvalue Oscars’ is downright bizarre. Like Hitchcock has never won an Oscar for any category while the guys who directed Green Book have.

In terms of actresses, well, there’s plenty of underserved wins that came off like a bunch of laughing stocks. Where do I start? Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady, Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side, oh and Kate Winslet in The Reader. They all do have US Vogue covers though, which solidifies the notion that winning an Oscar is an audition to get recognized by Anna even more.

Can someone ID this dress? It's stunning! Can't be Vuitton, surely.

All awards are pointless and I believe both Grammys and the Oscars frequently favor mediocrity over true greatness but to undervalue Grammys’ impact and overvalue Oscars’ is downright bizarre. Like Hitchcock has never won an Oscar for any category while the guys who directed Green Book have.

In terms of actresses, well, there’s plenty of underserved wins that came off like a bunch of laughing stocks. Where do I start? Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady, Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side, oh and Kate Winslet in The Reader. They all do have US Vogue covers though, which solidifies the notion that winning an Oscar is an audition to get recognized by Anna even more.

Could not have said it better!
As soon as I start caring about ribbons and trophies, I'll start baking pies for the county fair.

Can someone ID this dress? It's stunning! Can't be Vuitton, surely.

AiHzXnCk_o.jpg

source:runwaymagazines.com

Nina Ricci Spring 2021

Last edited:
this tfs idea that she’s too unknown for a Vogue cover is just baffling haha if you know Travis Scott, then you know Rosalia and everyone knows Travis Scott and his songs with Rosalia!, I get people into fashion tend not to be quite up to date with music but this is current pop culture’s 101.

Not quite saying you live under a rock if you don’t know her or that sHe’z tHe QUEeN of pOp, just saying she’s more than well-known if you follow popular music and if ‘up-and-coming actress with a British passport’ tends to be more than enough for Ana, this should should perform well on newsstands even without the Super Bowl..
I am Australian living in the Uk and have no idea who she is or who Travis Scott is. But I am not such a fan of pop music. Anyway she looks nice but I don't understand what the 'values' are here?

All US Vogue covers and Oscars are pointless and I believe Vogue frequently favors mediocrity over true greatness but to undervalue an Oscar’s impact and overvalue Vogue’s is downright bizarre. Like Viola Davis has never had a US Vogue cover while the girl who married Justin Bieber has.

It’s all interchangeable and pointless in the end :rofl:

I am Australian living in the Uk and have no idea who she is or who Travis Scott is. But I am not such a fan of pop music. Anyway she looks nice but I don't understand what the 'values' are here?

Wait, even Travis Scott? LOL. Please don't mistake me as a fan.

Re Rosalia, I can see from the surface why people in Latin countries would flock to her. She sounds and looks different from the pop stars in the part of the world. But for the rest of us, her public image seems very run-of-the-mill. A slightly taller Arianna Grande/Selena Gomez, but with more tattoos. And those two had to wait for years before Vogue gave them covers. That is even with their massive following and fashion brand endorsements in mind.
When you only look at Rosalia there's nothing that makes you want to listen to her music. She's no Beth Ditto. I saw Beth's images before listening to her music.

Last edited:
guess it depends on the country and why I mentioned relevancy in the US.. there was no way of not knowing people like Travis Scott when I lived in LA.. and it wasn’t the Kardashian association, it was just everywhere, it’s playing in stores, at work, coffee shops, clubs, parties, passing cars, at the gym all.the.time, friends, unless you’re deaf or have your trash filter on at all times lol, you’re humming to it before you notice... even Rosalia, a client (white, in her late 50s, she does in work in entertainment but still not at all Rosalia’s target demographic) was actually the first person that recommended her to me in mid 2018. I understand hip-hop (and now reggaeton- both worlds Rosalia has dived into) isn’t a thing in most places, or remains something associated with.. poor areas or crime maybe?, but it is as mainstream as it gets in major US cities.

Now I wonder what people make out of all the videos of these LA instagirls playing hip-hop or try to rap lol.. probably think it’s just an ig thing...

It's a discussion board, How do we move on? We just stop discussing things? How bout maybe open another thread if you're tired of this particular discussion. There's literally thousands on here. One might engage you better. Just sayin.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice. Just like you, i have the right to be tired of something and to say it, the same way people who month after month hate the work of Vogue Us for the sake of hate,you could also tell them to change the thread but it's not about that, how easy it would be. Do not put words that I have not said. I think many users boast of supporting women and, in the end, all they do is confront each other, calling them nicknames or using sarcasm to minimize them and if i think it’s not cool, i’m gonna say it, sorry that my post affected you because i was not attacking you. Of course this is a forum and everyone has the right to say whatever they want only that sometimes it looks like fan wars more than magazine discussion. Honestly I am here to read interesting opinions even if they go against what I think. Have a nice day

Frances McDormand
Photography: Annie Leibovitz
Styling: Jorden Bickham
Hair & Makeup: Cydney Cornell

VO0121_Frances_01.jpg
VO0121_Frances_02.jpg

vogue.com

Naomi Osaka
Photography: Annie Leibovitz
Styling: Jorden Bickham
Hair: Lacy Redway
Makeup: Autumn Moultrie