US Vogue September 2017 : Jennifer Lawrence by Annie Leibovitz

I just received my issue in the mail and my cover is the Bruce Weber shot. It's my least favorite :(

So sorry to hear that, I feel for your you!

It seems only subscribers got the other covers? God forbid they should send the Weber one over to the UK. Will absolutely refuse to buy it, sorry.

So sorry to hear that, I feel for your you!

It seems only subscribers got the other covers? God forbid they should send the Weber one over to the UK. Will absolutely refuse to buy it, sorry.

Weber still seems like such a random choice to me. Has he ever shot a cover for them? I can't think of one.

Weber still seems like such a random choice to me. Has he ever shot a cover for them? I can't think of one.

I don't have a full collection, but I certainly don't recall anything noteworthy after 1999. Makes it all the more odd why they went with him. But maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

I don't have a full collection, but I certainly don't recall anything noteworthy after 1999. Makes it all the more odd why they went with him. But maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

I checked the list of vogue covers on wikipedia and it seems to be his first & only cover for US Vogue.

The Leibovitz cover is absolutely dull. I saw the magazine at the newsstand yesterday and it doesn't pop at all.

I got the Currin painting cover. The pose and colors remind me of Kirsten Dunst's September 2006 cover

I got the Inez & Vinoodh cover, with the Weber and Currin cover as a fold out. I still would have preferred the Leibovitz cover, it so much more celebratory. I&V is nice in person but rings like the last two issues with Beyoncé & Kendall.

Versace's cover it's my fave, but you right, it doesn't suit with a 125th anniversary. Annie's one looks like a movie poster.

My theory about Anna giving Weber one of the covers is because normally she wouldn't get him to shoot a newsstand cover, afraid that it'd be too Town & Country for the Vogue brand and therefore wouldn't sell. So she used this occasion where his selling powers wouldn't be tested and yet he'd get a cover. He is 71 after all; perhaps she wanted to acknowledge his contributions to the magazine before he retires (or worse) and we all know Vogue rarely does more than one cover at a time. It was a fitting moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without Meisel...I refuse to add this to my magazine collection:(

They treat their subscribers like crap... I have yet to receive my issue..

Me, neither...it's already August 22nd.

In Los Angeles, the only cover I've seen at makets/newsstands/etc.is the Annie Leibovitz cover...have not seen the other three anywhere.

I received my copy in the mail today. Weber on the 1st cover, followed by fold-out with the rest of the covers.

Without Meisel...I refuse to add this to my magazine collection:(

Yup, I concur. I really miss his sweeping epics with Grace, I can't even remember the last time he did a proper fashion editorial not associated with the MET. I guess that I've got to accept that that's now part of history, along with Michael Thompson's amazing work for W, Philip Lorca diCorcia's occasional/fashion stories and ads. and so on. Even Lindbergh doesn't seem to have done one of his grainy cinema stories recently. I don't really get a lot of fashion today, but then again maybe I'm not intellectual or "down" enough to understand Lotta Volkova getting work that looks like it was modified with 2006 era My Space effects published in major league Conde Nast publications.

Anywho, I really like the edits in this issue. Has the team changed, because since June the fashion features seem a lot better and more focused? Still, 10 years ago all of these stories would have each had at least 10 pages extra each (in 2001 some of the edits has 20 pages + :o). I mean, seriously, how do you book one of the world's top photographers, the industry's most in-demand model and a popular young actor, send them to the desert somewhere and then end up publishing 8 pages of material! Surely that's just financially short-sighted? No idea what goes through AW's head sometimes.

I concur, I've never understood why they don't publish more pages per edit. I think the most logical answer would be that the time spent on a single sitting has been drastically cut and as result the page count has gone down, but then again it seems much more wasteful to arrange a shoot and then publish so little.

I mean, seriously, how do you book one of the world's top photographers, the industry's most in-demand model and a popular young actor, send them to the desert somewhere and then end up publishing 8 pages of material! Surely that's just financially short-sighted? No idea what goes through AW's head sometimes.

I think this is certainly one of American Vogue's strengths, these big budget high-production value features. You don't see this sort of thing very often in fashion nowadays, which was why I was so surprised to see Marie Claire went to Peru for an edit.
I'm convinced the Testino edit ended up a lengthy one. Anna may have trimmed it down like she did in that infamous September issue documentary. When you look at Testino's features elsewhere in global Vogues (which he normally guest edits) they're always so expansive which is cool.

And I do agree that there they are experiencing a return to form. Especially in terms of fashion imagery.

Yup, I concur. I really miss his sweeping epics with Grace, I can't even remember the last time he did a proper fashion editorial not associated with the MET. I guess that I've got to accept that that's now part of history, along with Michael Thompson's amazing work for W, Philip Lorca diCorcia's occasional/fashion stories and ads. and so on. Even Lindbergh doesn't seem to have done one of his grainy cinema stories recently. I don't really get a lot of fashion today, but then again maybe I'm not intellectual or "down" enough to understand Lotta Volkova getting work that looks like it was modified with 2006 era My Space effects published in major league Conde Nast publications.

Anywho, I really like the edits in this issue. Has the team changed, because since June the fashion features seem a lot better and more focused? Still, 10 years ago all of these stories would have each had at least 10 pages extra each (in 2001 some of the edits has 20 pages + :o). I mean, seriously, how do you book one of the world's top photographers, the industry's most in-demand model and a popular young actor, send them to the desert somewhere and then end up publishing 8 pages of material! Surely that's just financially short-sighted? No idea what goes through AW's head sometimes.

I agree, I wish there are more pages in the fashion story, but instead they give us 12 pages of blown up accessories in the "Last Look" section instead of fashion eds.

Received the Weber cover in the mail today. I like it, but it reminds me way too much of Kate Upton's cover by Weber for the first issue of CR Fashion Book.

my snap

Such uninspiring issue. They could at leat keep track of their covers, as this one is very similar to Jan 2001 with Marion Jones on the cover wearing a red dress. I'm almost certain there's also another cover or editorial with either Cindy Crawford or Christy Turlington wearing a similar red dress.
Image credit thejumpingfrog.com

Attachments

• zam6621a.jpg
    zam6621a.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 12
^^^^ this is the cover I immediately thought of when Rihanna's April 2016 cover came out! Still LOVE that Marion Jones cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->