US Vogue November 2019 : Rihanna by Ethan James Green

It’s chic and timeless. A very beautiful cover and a very beautiful ed.
It’s not exceptional but it’s fresh and finally another photographer on the cover.

I didn't really like the cover when I first saw it but it definitely grew on me. It is a beautiful cover photo. However, this is definitely not her best.

^ Yes. I concur. A great cover, probably the type of image that grows on you over time and looks even better on glossy paper. However it's ridiculous that Ri is getting annual covers now. Where's the music to back it up?

Ethan James Green does his best work for US Vogue IMO, no? More often than not, he's bringing back a little of that regal vibe that Meisel's work for them had.

^ Yes. I concur. A great cover, probably the type of image that grows on you over time and looks even better on glossy paper. However it's ridiculous that Ri is getting annual covers now. Where's the music to back it up.

She definitely doesn’t need a new album to earn magazine coverage based on her extensive list of credentials.

Kaia in her own words. Sure to be existential.

Love the cover, love Rhianna. Definitely buying this!

I don't understand the need to have an album to have a cover. Rihanna has FENTY Beauty and FENTY under LVMH. Surely its not for everybody, but if that's not relevance, I don't know what is.

I'd rather see someone like Rihanna have the cover than the likes of Sienna Miller/Kendall Jenner who only get the cover because she's a favorite with nothing to promote

I mean, I like the fact that the cover is inoffensive, tastefully retouched, and has a good simple color scheme. Rihanna always makes a great cover subject.

HOWEVER, does anyone else think this is just downright boring? Her expression is so vacant and it's not alluring at all. It literally looks like a styled mugshot. The same energy carries on throughout the editorial...which is strange because Rihanna normally is so magnetic in print. The ed also looks super budget, especially considering that this is a cover story with an A-list celebrity.

But I will take it! The bar is so low now for US Vogue that Simplicity > Pretentiousness.

I think they were going for something classy, simple, monochrome a la Penn

14387493-56BB-45BD-850A-CDF6ACE00DEB.jpeg
reddit.com (fashion is officially dead when Reddit and Pinterest results are the first to show up in Google searches)

But instead we get that heinous, distracting, cheap looking hoodie which does absolutely nothing for the nonplussed popstar

One of the dullest covers of US VOGUE I’ve seen in a while. Tonne, you can do better!

It's a beautiful portrait shot, and I don't think I'll ever tire of looking at it.

But beyond that, there's nothing of interest for me, because I feel like I've seen this already, and quite recently as well - US Bazaar shot her like this for their May 2019 cover (the rainbow eyesore) where Rihanna was also posing in an 'unfinished' place, as if the painters and decorators weren't done renovating the background.

The Vogue version is far more tasteful, but I don't feel like those images add anything new.

I like the earthliness that the styling brings to the image. A beautiful image, worthy of standing along so many other great portraits that have appeared in Vogue thoughout the years.

The shot in the couch (?) is very Annie Leibovitz.

Darn I miss Mario!

What a stunning cover, Rihanna looks gorgerous. The second cover of US Vogue in a row that is a great image.

Nah.

EJG is the most blah photographer.

And this isn’t Rihanna’s best, either. Her best Vogue is by far her November 2012 cover with the pixie cut and the red dress.

Rihanna Talks Fenty, That Long-Awaited Album, and President Trump
By Abby Aguirre

0cJxdgu5_o.jpg

Photography by Ethan James Green via vogue.com

The editorial is lazy, the cover is ok, not the best not the worst.

She definitely doesn’t need a new album to earn magazine coverage based on her extensive list of credentials.

Yeah, but there's this thing where African Americans that commercially appeal to white people are featured extensively, while other talented African Americans [of which there are a zillion individuals to pick from], are not featured at alll. So I agree with Fiercification. I don't find her that interesting of a cover subject at the moment. If Taylor Swift was featured on a cover of Vouge during a period where she didn't have music out, she'd be ripped to shreds for the same reason.

It is a gorgeous portrait of her, styling aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->