US Vogue November 2019 : Rihanna by Ethan James Green

Well needless to say, this cover satisfies. I'm quite tired of Rihanna, but you can't really complain about a good cover and edit.

I know the internet is a cesspool of faux outrage, but I found the reaction against Abby Aguirre particularly insane. It's as though there's a deliberate disregard for any kind of context. Love Rihanna even more than ever for putting these fools in their place.

It's Rihanna she's interviewing, not Mozart back from the grave, and she's been profiled like 10 times for this magazine already. Abby was just being candid, nothing to be offended by.

Here we go again.

Did she come unprepared? Yes
Was she honest about it? Yes
Was the piece decent? Yes. Rihanna herself liked it.

There are A LOT of magazines out there who produce trash and are not held accountable for it. So I'd take an unprepared writer who produced a decent job over the former.

Regardless of the circumstances, she delivered. Chastise her if she threw Rihanna under the bus or misquoted her.

PS, I think this is another PR stunt though. How in earth can her editor, moreso Anna allowed that sentence to ever see the light of day? Its like an admission of mediocrity in print. I think this was calculated for the publicity.

Yeah, but there's this thing where African Americans that commercially appeal to white people are featured extensively, while other talented African Americans [of which there are a zillion individuals to pick from], are not featured at alll. So I agree with Fiercification. I don't find her that interesting of a cover subject at the moment. If Taylor Swift was featured on a cover of Vouge during a period where she didn't have music out, she'd be ripped to shreds for the same reason.

It is a gorgeous portrait of her, styling aside.

You cannot really compare Taylor and Rihanna though. Taylor is a musician first and foremost, where Rihanna is now a celebrated business woman with her both her beauty and fashion line. It it almost like featuring Victoria Beckham, I never hear anyone saying there "where is her new music?". (and I say almost because I know Rihanna is still an recording artist as well when Victoria has made it very clear to never make music again).

I do however agree that Anna still has her "to go to" black cover models (Rihanna is not African American, though) and it would be amazing to see people like Viola Davis, Naomie Harris and Indya Moore featured, to give some examples.

I never understood the criticism aimed at Anna that she always only features a handful of Black superstars (and BTW, Rihanna isn’t African-American. She’s an Island girl— she’s Barbadian) and not other less popular Black individuals. Those handful of Black superstars are featured for the same reason as the handful of familiar White superstars she features: Because their faces have proven to sell well. It’s all about commerce for such a huge conglomerate entity as American Vogue. And Anna’s been consistent and leading the most famous Vogue for over 30 years with this formula, she can’t just throw it all way to support some unknown Black talent. (I suppose it’s the very reason why any sole Asian presence is completely absent on the cover of her Vogue — or any Western Vogue for that matter: They just don’t sell compared to the more popular White and Black stars. It’s nothing that personal with Anna.) Why should Anna risk the sales of her publication to promote any new face/talent, White or Black??? She's got a lot on her shoulders.

(Love love love Rihanna's frank answer that her fans aren't the brightest bunch and prefer pics instead of words. She always cuts it to the bone.)

(Love love love Rihanna's frank answer that her fans aren't the brightest bunch and prefer pics instead of words. She always cuts it to the bone.)

She said that?? LOL! When I saw the news of her launching a 'visual autobiography' I thought, hhhmm, reason #1001 why I'm not a Rihanna fan.

And you're right about American Vogue's casting choices. I've never believed it to be racially motivated. This year especially, Anna has been very aggressive and blunt in her choices. Just have a look at Vogue's Youtube page where a cover video rakes up 20 million views within 3 months, then it will all make sense. Unlike many on here, I don't really find that low because that's what she has to do in order to stay in print. A situation which was effectively created by herself with the shift to celebrities, yes, but that's how it is right now for the American market.

Is Kaia edit appear in the Nov issue or Oct? Their caption said it's inside the Oct issue tho

Insert UK Vogue's #newvogue battle with diversity and how its better than US Vogue

In

I am with everyone who loves this cover, couldn't possibly have anything remotely negative to comment! And it's on a very rare occasion that I never have at least ONE element of a magazine cover to critique. Ethan James Green and Tonne Goodman nailed this cover shot.

A magazine like Vogue should be creating covers as such on a very regular basis... not just the odd month or two. Then again, I have admired the vast majority of American Vogue's covers this year. It truly does feel like a return to form!

The Cast of The Inheritance
Photographer: Steven Klein
Sitting Editor: Phyllis Posnick

vogue-november-2019-inheritance-01.jpg vogue-november-2019-inheritance-02.jpg

Vogue.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, such strong Avedon influence in Kaia's studio shots. Wonderful! She's killing it.

I was just lamenting the fact they didn’t use another model! I love the styling and most of the shots are beautiful, but I think that’s on the strength of Mikael and Tonne, I don’t think she’s bringing anything to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashion killa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->