Versace Mens F/W 08.09 Milan

I thought this was Versace?

Looks more like International Male catalog:sick:

Well, it's not as bad as the first round pf photos seemed. It's nothing interesting, nothing new, but the first 10 or 12 looks aren't entirely without appeal.

I generally dislike mens' fashion as it tends to lack originality (save maybe Hedi Slimane's Dior Homme) but I am going to try and make more of an effort with it this year to proove myself wrong, and I must admit - I am quite taken with that brown/burgundy belted coat and the diagonally buttoned leather jacket. :smile:

By the way, Salvatore, I adore your avatar picture, where did you get it?

January 12, 2008
We sat and we waited while Beyoncé and Jay-Z wended their way through Milan to Donatella Versace's latest show. What better couple to test the claim that we were about to see a collection that offered "a male wardrobe to warm the heart of women?" And what fun it would have been to learn what Ms. Knowles made of clothes built on superhero detailing like shoulders of surpassing strength and capelike volumes flowing from jacket backs. But it wasn't Superman Donatella had in mind for the mannequins on her catwalk. She was actually thinking about the way that the cult Art Deco artist Tamara de Lempicka (beloved of Madonna and Jack Nicholson) painted the men in her life. Those pictures offered an image of brooding, haunted males in dramatically oversized coats, suits, and decadent little add-ons. And—presto!—Versace presented a modern take on the same. Her proportions were so extreme that resistance was futile. A duster in chocolate-toned shearling was a TKO. A monk's habit collided with a duffel coat to produce one of fall 2008's must-haves. A monochromatic evening look (black tux, black shirt, black bow tie) spectacularly drowned under a huge black officer's coat. Get the feeling the show was all about outerwear? Well, if the Russian Front ever had time to mount a fashion show, here were the key pieces: a shearling poncho and a black leather greatcoat. The color palette was mostly about de Lempicka's deep, velvety darkness—plum, mulberry, imperial purple. Perhaps that's why the jet-black bugle beading under a jacket lapel stood out. Subtle but extreme—it's a tricky balancing act.
— Tim Blanks

men.style.com

Reading about the main inspiration for the collection made me want to like it more.

I can absolutely see the Lempicka vibe running through the coats and suits.

Lempicka? As in, Tamara de Lempicka?
I absolutely adore her work, were these inspired by it?

I like everything but the long coats and the poncho. Its an ok collection........ I guess.

Oh I hope that is REAL fur!!! And its absolutely amazing! I must get one of the jackets...

Well i think it is incredibly hard to create a mens collection, as there is not that much you can do. Suits, jackets, vests, pants. The only things that really change are the fabrics and the personal touches. That said, the crazy fur and thick leather jackets don't really work, but i love the white and navy short coats!

This is really growing on me,especially after comparing it to other collections like Prada.

Alexandre, why? Why close down your wonderful label and do this??? Oh, I could cry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->