Versace S/S 1995 : Madonna & Kristen McMenamy by Steven Meisel

Wonderful campaign, especially love the last shot in the car. Thanks for sharing!!

+

madonnaforinspiration.com

These are spectacular. I've always loved this shoot. The shots with Madonna and the dogs are beyond fantastic. She is a powerhouse in front of the camera, and her and Meisel made MAGIC.

I'm guessing Madonna won't work with Meisel anymore after the Louis Vuitton un-retouched photos came out around 2009? Too bad.

These are spectacular. I've always loved this shoot. The shots with Madonna and the dogs are beyond fantastic. She is a powerhouse in front of the camera, and her and Meisel made MAGIC.

I'm guessing Madonna won't work with Meisel anymore after the Louis Vuitton un-retouched photos came out around 2009? Too bad.

I think she's worked with him since, and in any case, Madonna and Stephen Meisel have been friends, and collaborators, for over 30 years. A few untouched photos will never change that. Those two will definitely work together again.

Photographer: Steven Meisel
Celebrity: Madonna
Stylist: Joe McKenna
Makeup: Francois Nars
Hair: Garren

+

squaremadonna.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks as always MDNA for these.

It’s a lost she never toured during that era and chose to totally bore me with Evita instead. I’m positive Versace would have designed the costumes and everything would have been couture-perfection.

I just want to say again— and again and again how much I adore the Bedtime Stories era to this very day. Just lush— I love love love RnB-Madonna. The imagery for this era was spellbinding for me; every image from Melody McDaniel and Demarchelier’s Harlem Jean Harlow to Meisel’s Versace Miami goddess. The best fashion collaborators ever: Lori Goldstein, Orlando, Nars... Her Versace flapper look when she showed up at the MTV Music Awards was unspeakably, eternally gorgeous to her heartbroken Galliano-drenched diva in “Take A Bow”. She really made me dreamed big during that era.

And yes Dior— that shot of a Lolita-Madonna with the dogs are my favs as well: Playful, glamorous, decadent, surreal, innocent, and fairy-tale creepy all at once.

All this, and one of her best songs ever: “Sanctuary”.

This is the Madonna I adore.

^^All so true, Phuel.

This was such a gorgeous time for her. Sexy, sensual, playful, so beautiful. One of her best era's for sure. Too many "moments" to count! Adding the Brit Awards live performance of "Bedtime Story" with the Versace gown and the fan blowing her long Aphrodite blond hair around, and the Pajama Party for the "Bedtime Story" video debut…which…THAT video…OMG. OMG.

And "Sanctuary!" UGH! I love that song! It's perfection and so catchy…totally gets in your head...and then how it seamlessly transitions into the throbbing, head-spinningly stunning "Bedtime Story" track.

Also - "I Want You" off of "Something To Remember"…another one of her greatest tracks, and totally underrated. The Massive Attack collaboration is absolutely breathtaking and just so, so, so sexy…a total do-it-to-it track!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Haha-- let’s get lost in Harlem’s midnight soul, then rediscover glamor and decadence in sun-drenched Miami and back and forth...

That era did something frightening and exciting and everything in between to my 15-year-old confused self… I was really really really in like with my girlfriend but totally in lust of my BFF, but was too scared to make a move. He was the hot hot hot guy every girl also wanted and he was 16 and could drive so we drove everywhere— and he also adored M… Looking back— him adoring M should have been a clear sign to have made a move LOL And because of that, I felt M’s heartache and longing in “I Want You” rather than horny...

And Lucaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Gianni Versace Spring/Summer 1995 Catalogue N.28

Photography: Steven Meisel
Production: Donatella Versace and Paul Beck
Design: Raul Martinez
Styling: Joe McKenna
Coordination: Bruno Bugiani
Make-up: Francois Nars
Hair: Garren
Model: Kristen McMenamy

my scans

Users who are viewing this thread