Vogue Australia September 2009 : Cate Blanchett by David Downton

I would actually like to be able to purchase the third cover...

Those covers :heart:
And I agree with some of the comments, I also missed Gemma in this issue.

Those covers :heart:
And I agree with some of the comments, I also missed Gemma in this issue.

We don't know that she's not in the issue yet.
She obviously hasn't done any exclusives or a big 'return' but I doubt an issue dedicated to 50 years of Australian Vogue would exclude Gemma Ward.
It's just not going to be a new image. At best there could be an outtake of a previous shoot.

Out of Vogue: nipple jewellery

Oh no they didn’t? Oh yes, they did. In one of the more amusing anecdotes to emerge from Vogue Australia's 50th anniversary edition, the magazine Photoshopped out the nipple jewellery sported by both Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee Kershaw in one shot of Greg Kadel’s edgy 28-page Come as you are spread. Apparently it was a little too edgy for Vogue, which supplied a Photoshopped image to frockwriter. Noone would have been any the wiser had the original not been one of the shots released by Kadel to models.com on Friday (top), with jewellery attached. In a second, less confronting, topless shot of Kershaw, this time sitting on rocks at a beach with McNeil, looking like a pair of mermaids, the magazine has left Kershaw's nipple, nose and belly button rings unretouched.

frockwriter

looking at the pictures, I definitely liked the untouched picture more- Now the cat's out of the bag (hee hee Cat :P.. I should say now that Cat and Abbey-Lee are out of the bag) touching up the picture is contradiciting the title of the editorial- 'Come as you are' !!! the nipple rings are part of
Cat and Abbey-Lee, and now the picture although it still is wonderful, it feels a little more perverted and a little less cool and unorthodox had the rings been untouched.

Who wants to guess the designers of those bikinis? I think Karl either designed the one with black and red leather or the one where she has the black wedges and red sunglasses on. Maybe the brown one is by Burberry and the gold by Gucci? These are just guesses though.

Behind the scenes of a Vogue Australia beauty shoot

Shu Uemura make-up artist Kakuyasu Uchiide is like no other. To watch the international art director’s way with make-up is a truly breathtaking experience, as Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Kirstie Clements witnessed first hand. “He truly is an artist when you watch him work,” Clements says. “There are very few make-up artists in the world as good as he is.”
Clements and Vogue Australia’s beauty editor Sigourney Cantelo collaborated with the eminent make-up artist for the magazine’s September issue. The gold-themed Lashings Of Luxury shoot features Australian models Louise van de Vorst and Valerija Erokhina, completely transformed by Mr Uchiide’s masterful talent with Shu Uemura make-up and extraordinary lashes.
View our exclusive behind the scenes video on Vogue TV here. Then see the final images in Vogue Australia’s 50th anniversary September issue, on-sale August 5.

19071n.jpg

vogue.com.au

Who wants to guess the designers of those bikinis? I think Karl either designed the one with black and red leather or the one where she has the black wedges and red sunglasses on. Maybe the brown one is by Burberry and the gold by Gucci? These are just guesses though.

In order they are:

Bally, Chanel, Calvin Klein, Christian Dior, Ralph Lauren, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci

Love it love it!It sort of reminds me of the vibe of eds from VOGUE Nippon.karlie is fabulous in that ed
Can't wait for more!!

Better images of all 4 covers:
5-1_n.jpg
5-2_n.jpg

5-3_n.jpg
5-4_n.jpg

And Kirstie Clements' Editor's Letter:
By Kirstie Clements on August 4, 2009 4:18pm
Fifty years of Vogue Australia. It seems hard to believe that we have come to that milestone and, at first, the idea of producing the commemorative issue was daunting.
How to sum up five decades of Vogue, of the emerging role of women and the evolution of both fashion and style in Australia in one edition? I felt that something as momentous as our 50th needed to be addressed on two fronts: with a book that celebrates and marks our past achievements (see page 177) while the September issue itself concentrates on where we are now and hints at all the excitement of the future.
Vogue has the ability to draw the world’s most impressive people into its orbit and this issue features many women I admire greatly. Our governor-general Quentin Bryce is a long-time Vogue reader and I was thrilled when she agreed to write a piece for us, sharing her life journey over the past five decades and her extraordinary achievements as an academic, lawyer, wife, mother, feminist and, now, as a very inspirational head of state. Jana Wendt is a media personality who commands great respect, and I’m sure readers will love her very sharp and honest story about her feelings on turning 50. Director Gillian Armstrong has shared her favourite films of all time and author Kate Grenville has nominated the novels that changed her life.
Vogue stands for fashion, this is true, but the magazine has always been infused with the viewpoints of strong and intelligent women. I particularly love our fashion feature “Vogue’s favourite moments in Australian fashion” (see page 130), meticulously researched by writer Natasha Inchley. We all know what goes around comes around, so here’s a big tip – if you have any 80s dresses by Robert Burton in your wardrobe, pull them out now. Or maybe give them to your daughter …
And, of course, the issue stars all our famous Aussie models (for where would Vogue be without them?), especially two of the hottest young models on the planet, Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee. I love the fact that our readers are so enamoured of our local girls, and there seems to be no shortage of leggy, gorgeous home-grown models coming through the ranks. Just look at Holly Thompson in “Short and suite” (see page 312).
Which brings me to the star of our cover (or, I should say, four covers), Cate Blanchett. Cate needs no introduction to the Vogue reader – she has featured in the magazine on numerous occasions and is always gracious, professional and spectacular. I have been on several sittings with Cate over the years, but this one, without a doubt, was my favourite. It was Vogue art director Ella Munro who came up with the idea of having Cate sit for renowned illustrator David Downton, who of course leapt at the chance to capture such an icon. We all met up at The Dorchester hotel in London (Cate found a spare day in the midst of shooting her latest film) and we approached the sitting as one would a photographic shoot: hair, make-up, new season fashion, the works. The portraits speak for themselves – Cate is just superb and I am honoured
that she has contributed so much to Vogue Australia’s legacy.
And what of the other members of the extended Vogue family, the international designers? We asked 10 of the world’s top talents to design the quintessential Australian fashion item, the great Aussie cossie. Look out for Karl Lagerfeld’s trompe-l’oeil bikini on a wetsuit!
I am thrilled to be the editor of Vogue on this important birthday, and to be part of the celebrations, along with the wonderful Vogue staff. But above all, most sincerely, I am thrilled to be celebrating with our loyal readers.
Some may have been with us for 50 years, some may be new to the magazine, but everyone of you deserves the very best.
vogue.com.au

All the four covers are beautiful but my favourite is the 2nd on the post above.

My favorite is the 3rd. Is this a collectors item issue!? CONFUSED, dont know what to buy!

im thinking of buying the Balenciaga one.
there seems to be no mention of Gemma :(, i was hoping for a interview or some acknowledgement of her achievements and impact...
but fingers crossed, maybe there is something.
cannot wait to pick this up today after work!!! :woot:

^ I'm so jealous. I'll be able to get this magazine by next week. Urgh! International shipping sucks! Hope there's a GEMMA feature inside.

^ There's a little Gemma! Nothing new but she's mentioned quite alot.
Just got my hands on 3 of the 4 covers. Hopefully the 4th is what has been sent to subscribers. I stupidly addressed my subscription to my parents house! Dang.
They're so much more beautiful in person. All of the lettering is gold foil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->