Vogue Germany October 2018 : Anna Ewers by Giampaolo Sgura

Absolutely loving the cover art direction here and at Vogue Turkey, not what you expect from the Vogue brand, but utterly modern and original

It is apparently inspired by Gloria von Thurn und Taxis‘ wild days which explains a lot...

The cover story is very different from the cover tho...

^ I think you mean 'I hate that I find fashion terribly boring these days'.

Anna looks fine, her nose looks a little photoshopped but the mediocrity of this cover is not her fault. What can you expect these days, especially from Giamwhola Sgura together with Christiane Arp who might as well have been vaping on set and surfing her Instagram feed whilst her assistant approved all of the final images for print.

Well that too, but I did mean what I said. I absolutely adored her when she first came on the scene but she seems to have lost her spark a bit these days, at least to me anyway. I do love her in the Chanel beauty ads with Liu and Imaan though :wub:

Cover story previews:

07_1062_C_copy.jpg

vogue.de

There's one more black and white shot in their IGTV video.

Finally a decent cover. I'm glad to see Anna, I was getting tired of seeing so many mediocre American actresses. Thank God Vogue Germany is offering something more interesting.

haven't seen Anna with this heavy makeup in quite a while... if ever? I'm loving that they changed it up with her.

I would have preferred another minimalist editorial instead of yet another 80s rocker inspired studio editorial.

Well they tried lol. Gloria's flamboyant fashion sense certainly embodied stereotypical 80s excess and bad taste but she at least enjoyed fashion.

I give VOGUE Germany props for not beating yet another dead fashion horse. Otherwise Anna's editorial is horribly laughable and amateur. The spirited exuberance and over the top ornateness of Gloria's heyday is definitely lacking in this editorial homage.

While the cover is lackluster in terms of fashion styling and design, I do like the late 90s Meisel-esque lighting.

I wish they chose any of the editorial shots as the cover. It has tons of attitude. I love it.

The cover leaves me cold. The art direction leaves me baffled

Both editorials look great!

Anja´s one reminds me of her work back in 2009/2010! Gold yeards in the industry...

Yes, it's refreshing to see the heavy styling and make-up take centre stage over Anna's modelling, because quite frankly that was needed in her case, but it's not strong enough. Gloria was a gaudy mess in her heyday. Arp tried, but this doesn't even come close to a theme which had the makings of fashion gold. Her main drawback is that her storytelling starts and ends with the styling. In a sense, very egotistical because nothing else must wrestle the viewer's attention away from the styling. Maybe it would've been better on location, because as it is here it just looks like yet another 80s punk-lite take. And God knows we've seen enough of that by now. Indeed, Emmanuelle Alt has made a career out of it.

The other edit is also rather predictable, a perfect addition for the Anja fan's shrine, but not much else for the general reader. But then again, it's not like I look to Vogue Germany for innovation in any shape or form.

Belle Rebelle

Photographer: Daniel Jackson
Stylist: Christiane Arp, Nicola Knels
Hair: Ward Stegerhoek
Make-up: Peter Philips
Nails: Casey Herman
Model: Ansolet Rossouw

Vogue Germany Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members